how do u organize ur vinyl?

djxander

i use vinyl dividers like the ones they have in stores. i have one for each artist i have more than like 10 records of (like madlib, the roots etc) + i have seperate dividers for us mixed lp's, us mixed 12's, mixed favorites, records for sampling, battle records and so on.

I categorise but then i'll have worked out sets so i'll keep a whole buch of random records together for sets. i put stuff in dance categories then i'll put sll the sample/break stuff in instrument categories like trumpet/violin/drum etc.... then accapellas spoken word together and all the childrens stuff together, soundtrack , indy rock, country etcc... . i've got themed sets too so all the horror/paranoic hip hop goes together space hip hop etc.. bY the end of it my records look completely random and the only way to make sense of it all is to actually be in my head!

I categorise but then i'll have worked out sets so i'll keep a whole buch of random records together for sets. i put stuff in dance categories then i'll put sll the sample/break stuff in instrument categories like trumpet/violin/drum etc.... then accapellas spoken word together and all the childrens stuff together, soundtrack , indy rock, country etcc... . i've got themed sets too so all the horror/paranoic hip hop goes together space hip hop etc.. bY the end of it my records look completely random and the only way to make sense of it all is to actually be in my head!

and while we're on it, how much wax do u usually bring to a Gig?  Do you have to pull shit from throughout your collection every time, or do u just grab certain crate(s)?

I have certain crates... usually bring 2-3 crates... depending on the gig. Or if it's not really my thing but I was asked to spin I have a ninja tune bag pre-packed so I can grab it on the fly.

1st crate...

battletools

old breaks

random tunes from digging excursions

movie soundtracks

2nd crate

dance tunes in order which i bought them

3rd crate

hip hop singles

old skool hip hop singles

hip hop albums

hip hop compilations

stuff like product placement and dj shadow stuff

Section one -

Battle breaks in alphabetical order.

Section two -

Hip-hop singles, then compilations.

Section three -

Dance muzik singles, then compilations. :)

... but it has been getting really sloppy lately - with rearranging my room and such. :s

Mines are organized like this

English Rap

German Rap

French Rap

Swiss Rap

Italian Rap

Scratchrecords

Ragga

Reggae

Funk/Jazz

Alternative Records (The rest)

Everything is sorted from A-Z.

I usually got about 2-3 crates which are for gigs. Those got no specific order besides that their sorted from A-Z.