• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

$10k = £5500

across 3 events..

= £1700 per event

whoopy. silk cuts won a grand just for winning the uk itf final the other week.

the ortofon contribution is buttons. i get more in a month clicking a frikkin mouse.

I've been reading this thread with a fair bit of interest and amusement, though ultimately I can't deny I land on the same side as Lamont and 2tall when it comes to my feelings on this.

Ultimately though this is quite a gamble for DMC. Agreed it could make previous champs come out the woodwork to battle again, but in all honesty it seems to me that those who have been there have realised that DMC is perhaps not the golden ticket people often perceive it to be. Sure, it can open doors, but from what I've seen even the DJ agencies are getting less impressed with it as a title.

I just hope people don't labour under any illusion that this is good for the DJ community. It isn't; its a contest being finally bought out lock, stock and barrel, thereby ensuring its credibility is permanently compromised.

But, DMC have now laid their cards on the table, and it is a risky move in some senses - particularly where this equipment usage clause is. If people want to enter with their 05s for example, DMC will be telling Vestax to cough up for sponsorship. Problem is, Vestax and DMC do NOT see eye to eye at all, and therefore its highly likely that Vestax will simply tell them to fuck off. If that's the case, where does this leave the DJs trying to compete?

I have to be honest though: its been a couple of years since I gave a shit who won DMC anyway (and I suspect I'm not the only one there), although I will confess to being made up to see Muzzell win this year, purely because I've loved his style since he first turned up at Needlework some 2 years back. But DMC is not the all-hallowed win anymore. Its not even where most people seem to be looking for their inspiration as regards the tablist artform.

On a wider level though, I just hope people see things as they really are, and take note that you build your own foundations in this life. Lamont isn't known to me because he battled. He's known to me because he created and released some great scratch records, and has now caught my ear even further with his collab EP with 2tall. Likewise with 2tall: its not his battle skills that got him where he is now - it was his production and creative skills. Both those guys are examples of people who haven't waited for things to come to them: they've gotten on regardless and have committed themselves to the long haul of working to build a rep. Its a crude analogy, but sometimes DMC seems like the X-Factor to me; its people trying to take the shortcut to the top and then wondering why, when they get there, shit isn't really happening for them.

Edited by trick

no one is raw these days , no one is a punk ass bitch behind the tables these days. dj noise, he would take a fool out by finding the correct diss 15 minutes before he would know who to battle. Thats battling, battling is a beatboxer taking the other cats mic, dissing his whole repertoire and than destroying his own microphone. battling is fighting without hands up to a point u wanna stop battling and start fighting

Guest loop skywalker
, but sometimes DMC seems like the X-Factor to me; its people trying to take the shortcut to the top and then wondering why, when they get there, shit isn't really happening for them.

well put mr trick ...thats exactly what happened to me....i thought getting to a uk final would open doors for me..but no cunt has been intrested...its me own fault for being a shit cunt i suppose .

Guest loop skywalker

it used to get peeps exposure thus open doors...the tattoo was a symbol of some 13 years work that i put in to get there...thus i had that done as i was well proud....i reckon in a few years time peeps wont even remember dmc so maybe the tat was a mistake haha

I just hope people don't labour under any illusion that this is good for the DJ community. It isn't; its a contest being finally bought out lock, stock and barrel, thereby ensuring its credibility is permanently compromised.

Very well said there, Mr T. I couldn't possibly have put it better.

At the risk of repeating myself, though, wasn't it always this way? If you want to compete, you're forced to use 12's and a sh-ex. Likewise for the Vestax battle.

So is the larger cash prize going to increase the standard of entry? I seriously doubt it. Perhaps the extra money would have been better used covering all entrants travel expenses and laying on a few drinks for the competetors and so forth. That way, the DJ's would actually feel like DMC was doing something for them, building the community. As 2tall so rightly said, with judging already being ropey as fuck (just look at the fiasco Steve's pointed out two years in a row), there's going to be some very sour people out there very soon.

Or perhaps we're all completely wrong and next years DMC will be shit-hot.