DMC now limited to ortofon carts

Orion Scorpio

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree tho, it's a bit wrong. proper money making schemes when it would be nice if someone for once actually did something for this 'scene' that wasn't motivated solely by money, marketing and exposure.

www.djsforlife.com

he he he! ;)

i heard that was gonna be crap... they got some french fool on there to do some sessions, i mean what's the world coming to! :(( :$ ;) :|

yeah but apparently he's a don in the turntablism world.... he told me he cuts better than Q, can talk better than rukka and can juggle serge gainsbourg....

what more do you want?!

:d

H33T :o

So go on who's the surprise additions to Djs for life? You got Q And Yoga to come down and do a lecture innit? ;)

Don't get me wrong, I think the ortofon stunt is obviously a serious marketing stunt and that there should be no restrictions on carts...however I feel it's a positive move on account of it allowing flexibility in other areas of the equiment in the competition (even tho ortofon are going to make a packet from it)...as in better mixers & turntables with more pitch range/torque!

well, there are many directions this could take.

1. DMC allow say, vestax mixers. vestax would have to pay for sponsorship, DMC get paid. public pressure and marketing people would probably make this a necessity, i imagine DMC would also offer incentives in order to intice manufacurers in.

so basically DMC win on that count, and the DJs are happier about things. cool (as long as they can afford ortofons)

2. Manufacturers refuse to pay for the privelidge, (more likely) and nothing changes except for the fact that djs have to buy qbert needles... ortofon pay DMC anyway, so.. DMC win.

3. An all out manufacturer bidding war, DMC would be limited on advertising space, and conflicts would arise between manufacturers, this will turn the heat up a lot money wise.... DMC win again.

4. Everybody realises this is not in their interest and enters anyway for the prospect of 10 Gs. DONT EVEN IMAGINE I-EMERGE IS GOING TO TURN THAT ONE DOWN.

5. Everybody enters anyway for "the practice"... fine. but you have to get some new needles... Ortofon win.

for every DMC competitior, it is then, MANDATORY that orftofon recieve a certain amount of money - with this deal struck just think of the fat cats out jetskiing while your scratching your head as to why your a DMC champion and people still won't book you.

its bullshit, plain and simple, try and reason it all you want, this is NOT PROGRESSION. it is DMC selling off thei ethics to stay afloat.

actually i imagine someone from DMC is now reading this post, probably because someone who knows them well and thinks the sun shines out of their arse has gone running to them..

to DMC - i've been a world finalist and ive seen how it all works,i know enough now to know youre just a business, you are good people, i know most of you and you have always treated me with respect, but this latest move only proves what many people have been saying for years, that you are not acting in the interests of the DJs competing

@ 2tall: Fair enough, from an outsiders point of view I think all your points are correct and bang on...

I suppose maybe my point could've been said a bit clear, what I was getting at is that I would prefer to be limited on needles and have a selection of turntables/mixers to choose from.

I wasn't trying to say I agreed with what DMC are doing buisness/money wise and maybe saying they're were moving in a positive direction wasn't the right thing to say, I just think that I would prefer to have to use a specific set of needles than a specific mixer.

I really don't like these kind of business ethics, but unfortunately a new generation of dj's who are mostly driven by the cash and fame will be created, this way the corperations will make money indefinitly and dictate what the dj has to buy.

Good going!

yeah this may well create some shitty probs, or turn out like beatdown and fall on its head within 2 years. i tend to think the latter will happen, and dmc may end up relying on their digital and mixin battles...

yuo hit it on the head lamont when you said djs and artists need more places where they can hook up and interact with each other and other musicians instead of corporate rules and control...

but money makes the world go round unfortunately!

I really don't like these kind of business ethics, but unfortunately a new generation of dj's who are mostly driven by the cash and fame will be created, this way the corperations will make money indefinitly and dictate what the dj has to buy.

Good going!

yeah this may well create some shitty probs, or turn out like beatdown and fall on its head within 2 years. i tend to think the latter will happen, and dmc may end up relying on their digital and mixin battles...

yuo hit it on the head lamont when you said djs and artists need more places where they can hook up and interact with each other and other musicians instead of corporate rules and control...

but money makes the world go round unfortunately!

Yep that's the sad thing, Cash Ruins Everything Around Me! Cream get the money!

Sounds like it's time to write letters...I don't believe there's a point in limiting DJs to ortofons. These are just carts. It's not the same as saying using the same mixers and turntables. What's next slipmats? It's all about promotion! DMC amd Ortofon made a deal that if they restrict DJs to buying their carts for the events for three years. They'd cough up $30,000. There's so many DJs that compete in the DMC so it's easy to for them to get it back. How many DJs compete in the DMC regionals around the world? Well they are definately losing thier support/love from DJs...even more now LOL. It's a business move. It's a business. Ugh...I thought I really wanted to check that out. ::shrugs:: I guess I have to see.

Good going!

I don't know what people expect of a business though. A company has to make a profit to exist. You try running a company based on love and respect and see how long it lasts. Nobody here knows the financial situation of DMC. Didn't someone say that some of the heats in certain countries had been cancelled due to lack of funds?

What is the difference between practicing with Shures and competing with Ortofons other than the placement of the stickers? People are making far too big a deal out of this IMO. Nobody seems to have commented that much on the fact that they'll let you use other equipment based on the sponsors. If Vestax or Rane get involved, then that will be better for everyone I would imagine.