DMC now limited to ortofon carts

Orion Scorpio

"In future ORTOFON stylus will be the only stylus we will permit in all DMC events.

Unlike equipment, we feel DJs can work with their product without compromising creativity. On this basis they will be the only stylus permitted in all our events.

I am also pleased to announce that they will also put up $10,000 prize money to the three analogue events THE DMC/SUPREMACY/TEAM.

For the next three years all our winners will receive these sums of money."

Basically that means Ortofon are agreeing to support the event for the next 3 years with prizes and sponsorship cash.

They will also put up $10,000 first prize for each of the 3 World champs: Solo, Supremacy and Teams. In exchange for this support it will be condition of entry to the 2006 event that competing DJs use only Ortofon carts & stylii.

Ortofon have just released their Q-Bert cartridge range and obviously expect Battle DJs to use these. The output is louder than the Shure M-447 and the tracking qualities are similar.

DMC also said;

"We will no longer limit the equipment a DJ can use although we will not permit our agents to work with companies who are not SUPPORT SPONSORS."

That means that if an equipment company agrees to be a support sponsor of the World Championships, entrants will be allowed to use their equipment. So if say, Vestax or Rane were involved DJs could use their equipment instead of the Technics gear.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think this is a great move, yes I'm aware that many people don't like these ortofon carts, but previouse restrictions were any carts but technic turntables and mixer...now your restricted to one make of cartridge but will probably be able to compete with technics/vestax/numark/stanton/rane gear...that a much more favourable restriction I feel.

$10,000 is a nice touch too ;)

that sounds great about mixers, it means sales in ortofon's stylus are going to go up too. Do u know if its just qbert's model or all models?

C2C are going to feel a bit gutted now about that prize money now arnt they haha

But does that mean technics won't be supplying the gold decks anymore?

now your restricted to one make of cartridge but will probably be able to compete with technics/vestax/numark/stanton/rane gear...that a much more favourable restriction I feel.

This is provided they are support sponsors. This really does depend on how much DMC demand from manufacturers in terms of sponsorship cash. So it might end up being a Technics/Ortofon only event anyway.

wtf! that's a decision i didnt expect to see from them...

prize money is nice, that's one of the reasons the beatdown was so popular... but the limitation of equipment strikes me as odd personally, especially seeing as it's one of the general criticism ppl level at dmc...

most weird, and i guess this means there will be a digital battle next year, seeing as how they refer to the 3 analogue title...

you must be well chuffed giz! ;)

PS: where did the info come from? DMC?

This is provided they are support sponsors. This really does depend on how much DMC demand from manufacturers in terms of sponsorship cash. So it might end up being a Technics/Ortofon only event anyway.

I understand that but providing DMC don't take the piss with their demands to the equipment companies I can't see vestax/numark/rane/stanton not getting involved....I could be wrong I suppose.

Also people notice that the 10k is $s and not £s :( in fact will probably work out about £5,000 depending on DMC exchange rates.

Exactly man. That amount of money could really bring some heavyweights out of retirement and make a lot of dope people who may not enter now concider it. Hopefully it will mean some heavy battles.

i never looked at it like that.

alladin will be back then,10g's is a lot of crack money.lol

most weird, and i guess this means there will be a digital battle next year, seeing as how they refer to the 3 analogue title...

you must be well chuffed giz!  ;)

I let a bit of love wee go at the news.

Seems it came from the US - hence the $ prizes.

seen. Will be interesting to see what happens, but i wouldnt bank on anything much changing. And i agree with you that while allowing sub sponsors or whatever they call them is a nice move, it's not the same as saying, just use whatever you want within certain limits/rules/regulations.

Let's see, but if they really go fwd with a digital battle using their own deck, shit's gonna be hilarious. :x

Yeah Stuart from DMC Australia told me.

safe, yeah i heard some similar info from other DMC people before, as well as them possibly bringing back the mixing competition on a world level. 20mins set type thing.

c what happens. Funny that of all the battles, it's Vestax who's decided to go with a freestyle battle. I'd be interested to see who 'survives' the state of things in the next few years.

I'm putting some money on vestax i reckon.

you lot are blind. here's why....

ortofon make everyone competing in the worlds buy their new qbert needle, which goes for 120 dollars in the states each, probably around 90 quid over here? anyone know the rrp, so your maybe spending 150 or so quid each,

DMCs will be flooded with new djs, a move that they so desperately need to stay afloat. all good for them, plus the revenue from sponsorship.

So lets say in each country you get between like 20-100 djs entering - thats a AT LEAST 10,000 pounds PER COUNTRY, and thats just for the djs that compete, not to mention the hundreds of djs that will just buy them anyway.

this is an aggresive business move, that 10g's is just a carrot in front of your nose - if you combine that much money with DMC's shaky as fuck judging system, there will be some BEEF in the pipeline too.

all this is NOT positive. think about it

ortofon make everyone competing in the worlds buy their new qbert needle, which goes for 120 dollars in the states each, probably around 90 quid over here? anyone know the rrp, so your maybe spending 150 or so quid each,

thats bussines tho,cornering markets is the done thing.

look at microsoft .

i think the worst part is now that ortofon have the sponser why should any other manufacturer spend a lot of money designing and competing in making better scratch needles when they know they wont get many ppl using them in battle situations (thus no advertising).

now that orotfons have the deal under wraps why should they design anything better

init,

lot of dudes i know bought the craze needles coz they had craze written on them and they all thought that they would be the shiz.

how fucking wrong were they then,thos needles are poo.

Surely I must of had the luck of the draw then because I can cut with them for hours on end without the slightest of hassle.