DMC now limited to ortofon carts

Orion Scorpio

Sounds like it's time to write letters...I don't believe there's a point in limiting DJs to ortofons. These are just carts. It's not the same as saying using the same mixers and turntables. What's next slipmats? It's all about promotion! DMC amd Ortofon made a deal that if they restrict DJs to buying their carts for the events for three years. They'd cough up $30,000. There's so many DJs that compete in the DMC so it's easy to for them to get it back. How many DJs compete in the DMC regionals around the world? Well they are definately losing thier support/love from DJs...even more now LOL. It's a business move. It's a business. Ugh...I thought I really wanted to check that out. ::shrugs:: I guess I have to see.

Hmmmmmmmm.

1.) DMC aren't doing so well. In Germany, a strong contender for the world title, they couldn't afford to put an event on at all.

2.) DMC prizes are pish. Win an ipod shuffle! Wooooo. Finally they get together a decent prize and everyone's dissing them again.

3.) Of course it's a bloody business move. No one gives away that kind of moolah. But the same thing has applied to Technics turntables since the competition started and no-one whines about that. Okay, everyone whines about the Technics mixer... but it's SHIT. Ort carts aren't. You need decent carts to scratch, they need replacing often, plus no-one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy some hot pink needles and enter a battle...

All I can say is I hope this means DMC can afford to run the event properly

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't like these kind of business ethics, but unfortunately a new generation of dj's who are mostly driven by the cash and fame will be created, this way the corperations will make money indefinitly and dictate what the dj has to buy.

Good going!

I don't know what people expect of a business though. A company has to make a profit to exist. You try running a company based on love and respect and see how long it lasts. Nobody here knows the financial situation of DMC. Didn't someone say that some of the heats in certain countries had been cancelled due to lack of funds?

What is the difference between practicing with Shures and competing with Ortofons other than the placement of the stickers? People are making far too big a deal out of this IMO. Nobody seems to have commented that much on the fact that they'll let you use other equipment based on the sponsors. If Vestax or Rane get involved, then that will be better for everyone I would imagine.

Yeah but even you're saying it, IF Vestax and Rane get involved... there's no guarantee of anything happening, apart from the definite you need to own ortofon to compete in DMC.

I personally dont think vestax or rane will go with this, but i'd b happy to be proven wrong.

I've heard some feedback from ppl in the industry and it's not pretty.

time will tell, but i just think it's an odd move.

Like for example they are still totally side stepping the judging criticism, which i know you've all discussed in depth here. It seems that whatever change DMC implements, it's not necessarily what the fans express... shame really.

Yeah but for years you had to own Technics gear to enter. I assume if you didn't then you practiced on whatever gear you had and used theirs on the day. The same thing will now apply with these needles, except the winner of each battle is gonna get 10 grand which is probably a lot more use than some gold plated turntables.

Yeah but for years you had to own Technics gear to enter. I assume if you didn't then you practiced on whatever gear you had and used theirs on the day. The same thing will now apply with these needles, except the winner of each battle is gonna get 10 grand which is probably a lot more use than some gold plated turntables.

oh yeah the money isnt a bad move at all... but then again like i said it's still to be seen how it all cmoes together... and we should all bear in mind this is unofficial leaked info, they may very well change it before it comes official.

Sounds like it's time to write letters...I don't believe there's a point in limiting DJs to ortofons. These are just carts. It's not the same as saying using the same mixers and turntables. What's next slipmats? It's all about promotion! DMC amd Ortofon made a deal that if they restrict DJs to buying their carts for the events for three years. They'd cough up $30,000. There's so many DJs that compete in the DMC so it's easy to for them to get it back. How many DJs compete in the DMC regionals around the world? Well they are definately losing thier support/love from DJs...even more now LOL. It's a business move. It's a business. Ugh...I thought I really wanted to check that out. ::shrugs:: I guess I have to see.

http://forum.djpages.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6995

I am also pleased to announce that they will also put up $10,000 prize money to the three analogue events THE DMC/SUPREMACY/TEAM.

Fuck me. Disscuss runs to the phone to get three of the boys round to do the teams.

i'llbe up for that!

Seconded.

Sort a brother out....I need to clear some debtage.... :d

I am also pleased to announce that they will also put up $10,000 prize money to the three analogue events THE DMC/SUPREMACY/TEAM.

Fuck me. Disscuss runs to the phone to get three of the boys round to do the teams.

i'llbe up for that!

Seconded.

Sort a brother out....I need to clear some debtage.... :d

Wicked. That's me snuff and cable in the sheep gang. Baaaaahhhh. (Is that the noise a sheep makes?) :d

I really don't like these kind of business ethics, but unfortunately a new generation of dj's who are mostly driven by the cash and fame will be created, this way the corperations will make money indefinitly and dictate what the dj has to buy.

Good going!

What is the difference between practicing with Shures and competing with Ortofons other than the placement of the stickers? People are making far too big a deal out of this IMO.

There's a huge difference! Only somebody competing could know this Steve.

Each cartridge reacts differently to certain movements, height adjustments, angles and so on.

Every cartridge adjusts itself to the users way of handling too.

The records wear out in a different way as well, lets say for example you practice on m44-7's, your records will have that m44-7 wear, (...you see, records need to be broken in too!) ...then you'll compete with the ortofons with records that are broken in with shures, the records and needles will not react the same exact way. Certain spots on the record will skip faster or hold better with certain carts. Stickerlooping varies from brand to brand, needle burn also varies from brand to brand.

I speak out of experience!

So this means people will have to purchase the Ortofon carts to practice with them and break in the records with that particular cartridge, otherwise it will be a recipe for disaster.

The thing that is bothering me is that the DJs choice is being deminished once again (in a different way ...instead of the mixer it's the cart) and dj's won't feel comfortable doing their thing with products they do not particulary care for.

I'm not saying the Ortofon carts are bad, they're actually very good, but as we all know everybody has their on preferences.

This is the ultimate dilemma of the dj battle scene and it will never improve.

Once money is involved the artform suffers ...no doubt about it.

One big setback of having no restrictions would be the change over time. The DMC would last a week instead of 2 days.

This is my opinion, dj battles are obsolete because they're hindering the expression for a lot of dj's.

*Edit*

I have a question though, will DMC permit you to use your own mixer for these "analogue battles" from now on????

Edited by Lamont

dj battles are obsolete because they're hindering the expression for a lot of dj's.

How? If it's not your thing then don't enter and you're not hindered.

I'm talking about how a lot of other dj's who are still competing actually feel about this situation and why I decided to quit battling in the prime of my battling career. I started thinking about certain issues that kept coming back in the battle scene.

I kind of feel sorry for competitors.

Let me sum up some facts about the battle scene.

-Winning a title doesn't get you extra gigs, it reads well on a resume, but ultimately promoters don't really care.

-These DJ federations never really take good enough care of the dj's who competed for them.

The dj's should at least get the video for free in which they're competing in for crying out loud. Without the dj's there is no dj competition, treat 'em right.

-The time limits and equipment rules are really holding back the further development of the dj Battle scene and this will ultimately lead to disintrest in the battle scene in the next few years, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure this out, it's happening all over as we speak.

Edited by Lamont

I dunno about that. Muzzel, 2 tall and Daredevil all battled in this countrie this year. If they are not the real UK tablist scene then who is?

BTW I don't like battles really but just saying that dood.

I never said that dj's who battle aren't tablists.

I'm just pointing out that the latest developments haven't happened in competitions, this is totally true.

Edited by Lamont

fuck it dood. I can't even spell country.

Basically. Battle is just a form. You can not say battling is a waste. It's what happens in the battle that counts. Someone could drop the sickedt thing you have ever seen in a battle tomorrow no matter what anyone says. Mybe no one wll do shit for the next 10 years. Who knows. All I mean is battling is only as good or bad as the people in the battle.

Basically I know what I mean but am drunk and finding it difficult to explain. Lol.

Anyway props on doing your thing Lamont. Regardles of anything else you are deffinitly doing some dope ish.

fuck it dood. I can't even spell country.

Basically. Battle is just a form. You can not say battling is a waste. It's what happens in the battle that counts. Someone could drop the sickedt thing you have ever seen in a battle tomorrow no matter what anyone says. Mybe no one wll do shit for the next 10 years. Who knows. All I mean is battling is only as good or bad as the people in the battle.

Basically I know what I mean but am drunk and finding it difficult to explain. Lol.

Anyway props on doing your thing Lamont. Regardles of anything else you are deffinitly doing some dope ish.

I definitly agree with your standpoint but right now there's an urgent need for variety, something that battling hasn't done in quite a long time. That's happening right now and it's very exiting! :)

Look out for the Lamont/2tall ep next year!

Peace.

WATS THE BIG FUCKN DEAL YO?

in the past u enter knowing u gotta use a shit technics mixer, what u do?

u go out and rent or buy one. doing a comp on a technics table? shit go practice on one. you would have to be a dick to go and practice on a vestax table for a dmc then get there and realise your stickers dont line up the same as at home.

so story is now, you gotta own a ortofon cart to enter, shit so go get one. u know the criteria, if u dont like it then DONT ENTER! simple as that.

no one has got a gun to your head saying "buy that fuckn cart and enter bitch". y all the bitching?

its nothing new to what they were doing b4 with the decks and mixer, only now they are doing it with the needles but in return offering 10k large and letting u use your own mixer. GREAT? y all the beef?

man if ask me, they need to get the fuckn voting right before anything else. it needs to be setup in a way where the judges

"CANT VOTE FOR THEIR OWN COUNTRY" and judges can only have ONE name for a 1st 2nd and 3rd placing.

fuck simple as that.

DMC is a business, unless you are a non profit organisation, theres nothing wrong with trying to make a shit load of money.

i dont think people realise this.

and y the fuck the same people who bitch bitch and bitch about DMC's worry so much about what tony prince does when they hate him anyways?

personally, if i hate some prick, i dont give a fuck what he do. im not gunna bitch endlessly about him. thats what bitches do.

2c

Guest loop skywalker

mmm spend 65 pounds on a pair of carts for some shures ..or spend 185 pounds on some q bert needles.....i think its a fuckin rip off..needles aint gonna make a blind bit of differnece to any djs performance...maybe the sound may be a bit better..but it aint gonna revolutionise the skills of anyone competing...before this sponsorship deal i was fully prepared to start battling again..with this restriction where i gotta buy 185 pounds carts which is an absurd amount of money...its like them saying you gotta pay to enter the competition....at least with the tech mixer situation that is of choice..you can use dmcs own technics mixer..you can practice on any mixer you like..its just if you wanna get used to what you will be competing on you may want to go and buy a tech mixer.....this move is actually forcing you to go and buy 185 pounds worth of carts...which counts as a kind of an entry fee to me.

The fairest thing will be for dmc to supply the needles /carts like they do mixers and turntables....or set up a registry of bonafide djs who are entering dmc so they can get a hefty discount....no wonder ortofon gave out all these carts to the world finalists this year.

I can also see mayhem galore with this rule where you can use any mixer...i cant see dmc having totally different set ups..and i cant see them allowing every single dj to bring their own mixer when you may have around 30 odd djs at a heat....they really do need to rethink this....sure it will bring the heavyweights back out into battling for the heavy prizes and maybe bring a nice fresh change to the present battle climate...but its a real selfish move in dmcs favour..i know they gotta make money and all but its all losing the good old feeling of the underground organisation it once was.