Deeswift what's that cut u did on?

jsong56

well said gabe. theres more resources to learn from now and tutorials showing how to do many scratches.. so what? the best scratches you develop yourself, these ones come from combinations of taught scratches and your own take on shit.. tutorials are loose guides to some scratch combos.. eventually you throw it away once you have the basics down and you go your own path.. its your choice if you never stray from a tutorial and then become a 'carbon copy' NOT the tutorials fault

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well said gabe. theres more resources to learn from now and tutorials showing how to do many scratches.. so what? the best scratches you develop yourself, these ones come from combinations of taught scratches and your own take on shit.. tutorials are loose guides to some scratch combos.. eventually you throw it away once you have the basics down and you go your own path.. its your choice if you never stray from a tutorial and then become a 'carbon copy' NOT the tutorials fault

Agreed. you have to understand rules and boundries in order to break them wisely. I can refer back the Dali quote in the 1 deck juggles thread. People who are afraid to borrow ideas will never create or produce anything.

Different people learn different ways.

Its like telling peeople playing guitar not to learn how to play basic chords because everybody does. You have to have an understanding of the basics and the advanced in order to progress.

Agreed. you have to understand rules and boundries in order to break them wisely. I can refer back the Dali quote in the 1 deck juggles thread. People who are afraid to borrow ideas will never create or produce anything.

Different people learn different ways.

Its like telling peeople playing guitar not to learn how to play basic chords because everybody does. You have to have an understanding of the basics and the advanced in order to progress.

I reckon you're taking it the wrong with both kper and deeswift gabe... I interpretted dee saying cats are lazy these days and want it spoon fed to them from tutorial videos, but they don't want to actually watch stuff, listen to audio, and break it down for themselves... laziness, and I think kper said 'at least you're doing in in private', he's not saying don't try 1 deck juggles, just don't bust them in a battle or a showcase like they're something new... unless you've flipped it in some way, which most people haven't been...

they're not saying don't learn from this stuff, just don't carbon copy it and repeat what's already been done, try and push things to another level...

Like I said. Part of art is borrowing from other artists.

If you want to be 1 hundred percent orginal you would have to create your own instruement and style of music. Shit, if your creating music, your unoriginal under you description. Your not the first person to create music so your unoriginal. Immulation is not easy, and its also the highest form of flattering. yeah it sucks sometimes, but thats how art is.

Like I said. Part of art is borrowing from other artists.

If you want to be 1 hundred percent orginal you would have to create your own instruement and style of music. Shit, if your creating music, your unoriginal under you description. Your not the first person to create music so your unoriginal. Immulation is not easy, and its also the highest form of flattering. yeah it sucks sometimes, but thats how art is.

yea, I think you're missing the point... it's not that you shouldn't emulate... just don't stop there, and also part of learning is also experimenting for yourself without guidance, if someone tells you how to do every cut, there's not much experimentation to learn it, and like dee was saying, all of the cuts he referenced were interpretations and mistakes made trying to learn cuts they heard and weren't told how to do...

EDIT: and with kper talking about the 1 deck juggles, like... 1 deck juggles haven't really progressed since 2001... I think that's the main point there, a lot of people do them, but don't do anything new with them, cept lil mike adding some drumming and stuff, thas about it

Different people have different feelings on art. Look at cover bands. I dislike them. But some people are passionate about someone elses music. Some people are good at immulating and that is the art they love. Maybe I dont want to create my own scratches. maybe I wanna do an exact technique as someone else. I dont but, art is open for everyone to do what they want. Some people paint by color some people paint from the imagination.

The sad truth is, what does it matter if your 100 percent original. Have of artist will never be known or appreciated. So if its a hobby. Do what you want. Some people build model airplanes that look like mini versions of he real thing. Does that make them biters?

Different people have different feelings on art. Look at cover bands. I dislike them. But some people are passionate about someone elses music. Some people are good at immulating and that is the art they love. Maybe I dont want to create my own scratches. maybe I wanna do an exact technique as someone else. I dont but, art is open for everyone to do what they want. Some people paint by color some people paint from the imagination.

The sad truth is, what does it matter if your 100 percent original. Have of artist will never be known or appreciated. So if its a hobby. Do what you want. Some people build model airplanes that look like mini versions of he real thing. Does that make them biters?

I hear what you're saying, but I hear what they're saying too... it's all perspective, I think the newer school dj's like us sometimes can be lazy with learning tho, I think that's the message, we're in an age where we get all this ish shown to us on DIY, and we've never heard cash money or jazzy jeff cut, and never had to figure out cuts from audio on our own and stuff