Deeswift what's that cut u did on?

jsong56

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teaching someone a technique does not make them a clone - it's how they use it that may or may not make them one.

As for Photoshop tutorials, which is more use - an in depth one, or one that barely scratches the surface? If you read the more in-depth one you can still make a minimal site, but if you read the shit tutorial you won't be able to make a more complex site.

STEVE:

i wont say this is the necessarily the right answer, but for me this is what i 1000% agree with!!!!!

i know from experience, i learnt the delayed flare from asis and once i found out i created 3 different variations from it (not necessarly i invented, but it was new to me at the time).

steve taught me the boomerang, from there i learnt that and now i have incoporated a boomerang mixed with delayed flare technique!!!

its not about how u get the information, ITS ABOUT WHAT U DO WITH IT!!!!!!!

if someone wants to learn a scratch just so they can tick it off their "scratches to learn list" then at the end of the day then they are just limiting themselves.

if someone wants to learn a new scratch so they can build other techniques around it then and expand it further, then they are learning individual techniques plus tonnes more.

just like i have stated and done above. generally the people who learn shit just to tick it off there "scratches to learn list" are just FAKERS anyway who end up quitting after a while. reason being, they get bored!!!! learning something and advancing it further takes away that boredom.

im sick of people saying "back when i started, we didnt have this and that...blah blah blah, yall so spoon fed". Respect to everyone who has been doing this shit for a long time, but hey...

TODAY, we do have this, that and everything else. SO Y NOT USE IT?????

times change!

its like saying, back in the 50's there was no v8 engines, we used to have to do up our old shit boxes to make em go. but shit, fast forward 50 yrs and now high performance cars are available!!!!!

times change, SO Y NOT USE IT?

2c

I totally agree. Everybody already sounds the same, why share a technique so people can bite it and thus sound like the originator?

Take graphic design for example, I check out tutorials on Photoshop all the time. Thing is, all the tutorials I've seen have been used to the fullest. Meaning, everybody's doing the same shit...Minimal sites really stand out now 'cause they're all using the same techniques.

If you think about it, some of the dopest skratchers out there learned on their own, and thus created their own styles. My boy Astro learned not from the net, but by listening to other djs. Same goes for Dee, from what I gather.

I'm totally game for washing off labels 'cause people will bite. Hard. I see it all the time, regardless of the endeavor. A lot of people are lazy and don't want to put the work forward to do something really different and creative, thus they all sound alike. Why should you do all the work and then somebody just come and swoop up on it? Work at it, dig, learn, it's way more gratifying.

BTW, no dissing here, just spillin' the truth.

Peace to all.

I think your trippin Justin, I seen the copy of the diy vid lying around at your house.

Edited by Relic

I totally agree. Everybody already sounds the same, why share a technique so people can bite it and thus sound like the originator?

Take graphic design for example, I check out tutorials on Photoshop all the time. Thing is, all the tutorials I've seen have been used to the fullest. Meaning, everybody's doing the same shit...Minimal sites really stand out now 'cause they're all using the same techniques.

If you think about it, some of the dopest skratchers out there learned on their own, and thus created their own styles. My boy Astro learned not from the net, but by listening to other djs. Same goes for Dee, from what I gather.

I'm totally game for washing off labels 'cause people will bite. Hard. I see it all the time, regardless of the endeavor. A lot of people are lazy and don't want to put the work forward to do something really different and creative, thus they all sound alike. Why should you do all the work and then somebody just come and swoop up on it? Work at it, dig, learn, it's way more gratifying.

BTW, no dissing here, just spillin' the truth.

Peace to all.

I think your trippin Justin, I seen the copy of the diy vid lying around at your house.

LOL. DIY 1 and 2.

its funny cuz in alot of other genres artists always get together and brainstorm techniques and things like that, for eg, guitar players sharing techniques, advanced drummers showing the little guy how to rock a beat, pianists giving finger techniques, cross over techniques etc. same in sports, alot of sports peops give tips on how to throw a ball, how to steer a race car, how to throw a dart, how to shoot a duck etc.

but when it comes to scratching everything seems so bloody secretive. alot of people dont like sharing information cuz they have the mentality "shit it took me yonks to figure this shit out so why should i tell u?" or they think because the tables have turned (no pun intended) and they are the ones in the position of power, they will put others through what they went through aswell. this is just gay gay gay. hiding info for this reason is nothing but SELFISH!!!!

i respect deeswifts arguement because he is saying that he dont wanna tell people stuff that he spent yrs practicing, this is different to just being a down right prick.

dee is credible because he has been doing this for a long time but i think

alot of peops say "listen and learn yourself" but really they are hiding behind the fact they simply dont wanna share something which they have gone to alot of trouble to find. people dont seem to remember that they once to asked "how do i do a flare" or "how to i do a clover tear"

i listened to your files from rapidshare again dee, the are fucking sick!!!!!

i love the reverse chirp combos u do on that dj supreme demo, they sound fuck dopeeee!

i know that youve been asked this alot but y dont ya post something new dude????

if those files were like 3-4 yrs old, then shit your new stuff must be unbelievable!!!!

come on dee, do everyone a file and post a file (ill leave out the bitch part cuz that disrespectful, hehe)...bring it on yo!!!!

Guest Deeswift

Definately will do something soon, I got the itch again. My style has changed a lot. My girl Jo said "it sounds more refined" the other day, which I guess is a good thing.

Guest Deeswift

This is kinda confirmed now. I just chatted to Awkward about hooking up on some new music, and he's gonna try and get some beats to me this weekend.

• 5 months later...
I don't mean to sound rude, honestly, but it seems that DJ's are spoon-fed these days, especially with stuff like Q-Bert's DIY, etc. Back when I was starting out there was no video's, or very few, and they never explained "advanced" techniques such as flares. Take a look at something like Turntable Wizardry Volume 1 (if you can find it) and you'll see Q and all those guys doing much more advanced techniques and scratches in their individual showcases than they were explaining in the tutorial sections. Nevertheless, this forced me to really try and work stuff out, and at the end of the day I'm glad it worked out like that. I was forced to get the basics solid, such as chirps, transformers, tears, stabs, etc -- the stuff that all combo's are built on. Now with the Internet becoming huge and easily accessible to most people, plus video's of top scratch DJ's sharing their knowledge, many people appear to have have lost the ability to build a solid foundation, and most importantly, their own style. Why are so many DJ's sounding the same these days? They all wanna sound like D-Styles, mainly. Even Q-Bert! Why? Probably because he has style!

Seriously though, let's not turn scratching into fast food. If we avoid breaking down signature cuts, and keep trying to work things out by ourselves, we encourage creativity, and through this new things are born. It's fair enough being influenced by something, but try to express that influence in your own way. The crab was inspired by the twiddle, which was inspired by the 2-click flare orbit. The story behind that is Q-Bert was watching DJ Excel do the twiddle scratch, and from there he expanded on it and added two extra fingers, which then became the crab scratch. The reason why Excel came up with the twiddle is because he thought that's how the 2-click orbit was being done, so through trying in our own ways to break something down without being spoon-fed we come up with new techniques, and those unique techniques become part of your style, your signature sound.

he he he he

I don't mean to sound rude, honestly, but it seems that DJ's are spoon-fed these days, especially with stuff like Q-Bert's DIY, etc. Back when I was starting out there was no video's, or very few, and they never explained "advanced" techniques such as flares. Take a look at something like Turntable Wizardry Volume 1 (if you can find it) and you'll see Q and all those guys doing much more advanced techniques and scratches in their individual showcases than they were explaining in the tutorial sections. Nevertheless, this forced me to really try and work stuff out, and at the end of the day I'm glad it worked out like that. I was forced to get the basics solid, such as chirps, transformers, tears, stabs, etc -- the stuff that all combo's are built on. Now with the Internet becoming huge and easily accessible to most people, plus video's of top scratch DJ's sharing their knowledge, many people appear to have have lost the ability to build a solid foundation, and most importantly, their own style. Why are so many DJ's sounding the same these days? They all wanna sound like D-Styles, mainly. Even Q-Bert! Why? Probably because he has style!

Seriously though, let's not turn scratching into fast food. If we avoid breaking down signature cuts, and keep trying to work things out by ourselves, we encourage creativity, and through this new things are born. It's fair enough being influenced by something, but try to express that influence in your own way. The crab was inspired by the twiddle, which was inspired by the 2-click flare orbit. The story behind that is Q-Bert was watching DJ Excel do the twiddle scratch, and from there he expanded on it and added two extra fingers, which then became the crab scratch. The reason why Excel came up with the twiddle is because he thought that's how the 2-click orbit was being done, so through trying in our own ways to break something down without being spoon-fed we come up with new techniques, and those unique techniques become part of your style, your signature sound.

WORD THE FUCK UP

CARBON COPIES EVERYWHERE

he he he he

Dee writes a paragraph about how you shouldn't learn from others and you should do it all yourself in a closet, THEN the follow up paragraph he explains about how he learned about certain techniques from watching a video. Thats contridiction. But hey, thats what makes Dee.

Learn however you learn. When people are really sheilded about what they do, they are woried people will do it better. Kinda an artists natural paranoia.