Numark PT-01 modding thread

Guest rasteri

I ended up grounding the button to the platter. fixed the buzzing, but lost rpm controls via the PT. thankfully i have the ultra pitch mod installed. next is the lithium battery!

@DJMadhatter, when you installed your platter bars, did you cut those nubs on your platter completely down or just the tips that stuck out passed the platter? I had issues with my platter bars during the first go.

Has anyone discovered the best travel/flight case for your PT01? Looking for something similar to:

Also, what is everyone doing for wire management? All these dangling wires are for the birds!

• Like 1

Guest rasteri

My belt is 154mm along one edge, so I guess the total length would be 308? Probably 300mm is the actual size given that it's probably stretched with time.

The other dimensions are 4mm (height) x 0.5mm (thickness)

• 1 month later...

I'm looking at fitting a start/stop button to my portables and read the posts about getting a latching type switch but I have seen the guys at open format LA use an arcade type button in their kits. I thought arcade buttons were only momentary? Or are they a latching type button with an arcade button type head on? Anyway I don't fancy paying the huge shipping from the states for some small electronic parts so wanted to source parts here in the U.K. Just need to know what my options are if anyone can help.

Thanks for the info man. Although I wouldn't really know how to wire it. But like I say the open format kit appears to be just the button no relay so how would it work?

https://openformat.la/guides/arcade-button-mod-numark-pt-01/

This is the link to their fitting instructions. Just two wires that's it.??

wiring of the relay is damn i easy - i could help with that. the one i posted is not suitable ootb though - you need a 9V switch relais...

9 + __/ __REL _____PT01 MOTOR OUT +
v - _____AIS _____MOTOR +

the open format start/stop is NOT a momentary switch - the term arcade button is irritating - been there too...

Guest rasteri

Mark already posted that that approach doesn't work, unfortunately. If the 01scratch is wired how I suspect it is, then that 4-pin connector doesn't provide power so you'd have to run another couple of cables inside the device to get an inno to work.

Plans are afoot though.

• Like 5

If the 01scratch is wired how I suspect it is, then that 4-pin connector doesn't provide power

...what's your guess?

since this is a switch and it appears to not pop i was hoping to replace it with reed switches ;)

...a few pages before i said that the raiden beta had no stable mixing circuit means when you close the fader the aux in gets louder...

finally got my hands on the final version and it's true - they didn't change that... wtf?! is everybody deaf? sure.. it's hard to make out with a beat playing but if you feed your aux with a long note,sine wave or pink noise while a turntable is connected you'll notice it real easily.

i think they went for a compromise there. if you replace there 1k mixing resistors with 47k the mixing will be stable which leads to a very low output though...

could anyone please test their JDD or Triggah to see how they behave ? also which one is the "loudest"? :)

Edited by wax inspektor
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rasteri

So I've got my hands on a pt-01scratch (thanks Justin) and it's not wired how I thought. They've actually got a VCA circuit based on a SSM2164 clone by coolaudio integrated into the EQ/motor control board. Pretty decent stuff, although the decay is a tad too high for my liking.

Feel-wise, the switch is surprisingly usable. I cut hamster and can do crabs and 2/3 click combos pretty well. Unfortunately despite the platter being a bit more stable the needle still jumps like a bastard whenever you click the fader so gluing a 2p on the headshell is still gonna be necessary.

• Like 7

Guest rasteri

TBH I don't think a nanofader will be necessary, there's already all the necessary circuitry to do click/pop-free cutting. Putting a mini inno on there should be pretty trivial, just need to build something like a comparator circuit (or maybe even just a pullup/pulldown resistor). I'll do some playing this week.

BTW the switch has a plastic stem so I expect to see lots of broken ones very soon.

• Like 4

TBH I don't think a nanofader will be necessary, there's already all the necessary circuitry to do click/pop-free cutting. Putting a mini inno on there should be pretty trivial, just need to build something like a comparator circuit (or maybe even just a pullup/pulldown resistor). I'll do some playing this week.

BTW the switch has a plastic stem so I expect to see lots of broken ones very soon.

I can see a lot of people just making do with the switch at first. But as soon as it breaks, they'll all be wanting something better.

I can see a lot of people just making do with the switch at first. But as soon as it breaks, they'll all be wanting something better.

Nope

They will just stick it on ebay, for us to buy hahahaha

HI everyone i was really happy to find this thread. I bought a numark pt01 scratch , i am looking to find somewhere on the circuit to take a line stereo output to feed into my JESS DEAN fader and then from there into the aux input so that i can use the internal speaker and switch off the direct audio to speaker using the internal scratch switch, any help really appreciated. I am wondering if i can just take an audio out put from some of the terminals in the switch and will investigate tomorrow.

Guest rasteri

The connector for the switch doesn't actually carry audio, it just acts as a control voltage switch for the VCA. You could probably wire up the Jesse Dean fader like a switch and use that instead of the stock switch however.

• Like 2