Numark PT-01 modding thread

Guest rasteri

I love the idea of using the TTM-1! I found the manual for mine the other day but I sold the unit years and years ago. Maybe I should get another one...

For years I tried to sell mine and failed... I really can't remember if I still have it in my boxes of old DJ related stuff or if I binned it when I moved six months ago after years of failing to find anyone that wanted it for free.

For me there were some challanges while making TTM to MIDI jogwheel conversion.

1) There is a normal mode, when the vinyl spins normally. Stutter is eliminated by averaging the right amont of samples to keep the tempo stable. The TTM has some variations in ticks/second by default. And because the resolution is not that fine, It could cause tempo fluctuation otherwise.

2) I have to sense when somebody is touching the vinyl and scratching because I have to send out the jog touch event to be able to switch to scratch mode from pitch bend mode (or switch master tempo on/off) In scratch mode I use a more responsive but less accurate method to convert vinyl moves to MIDI. I use some kind of simple analysis in the time domain.

Do you have a button in the ttm that was used for this differentation in vestax compatible cdj. You could use it to activate scratch mode.

3) I have to sense when the pitch potmeter on the turntable is moved and the normal mode speed changes, because I have to move the pitch slider of the app with MIDI commands. I derivate this information from tempo change over a period of time, because unfortunatelly it is not possible to directly handle the pitch fader moves without modification on the turntable.

It should be derived from turntable velocity in non scratch mode and obvied in scratch mode due scratching is handled pitch control of the waveform (no?)

4) Also I have to be able to differentiate when the DJ uses the platter to slighli modify the tempo, when he moves the turntable pitch fader , or when he scratches.

I think the most elegant way to pass all these information to a sowftware is using HID or using an audio channel backwards to send digital information with a more higher speed, than MIDI or HID. The software can than handle an incoming mono audio stream as a relative vinyl speed data. It can be done easily on an iPad because it can handle USB Audio Class, while it cant handle a generic HID class device.

Usually in dvs timecode one channel goes backwards and the software use both signal comparation to accurate the analysis. I can uplad some technical documentation from Ms. Pinky Sdk if someone wants to take a look but I will do it this afternoon (now it is 15:06pm) or tomorrow. I'll be back! B/

Awesome stuff, Mutis. I'm currently working my way through the folder... there's a LOT to go at (this is not a complaint! :) )

Happy to read it ;)

Do you have a button in the ttm that was used for this differentation in vestax compatible cdj. You could use it to activate scratch mode.

It is not convenient to alway pushing a button when you would like to scratch or manipulate the vinyl. I use some kind of intelligence instead when the velocity change over time is big enough, it means you are scracthing. When it gets low, it means you stopped.

It should be derived from turntable velocity in non scratch mode and obvied in scratch mode due scratching is handled pitch control of the waveform (no?)

Yes basically, You should eliminate the fluctuations, and you should be able to activaty the pitch mode if the dj just slightly touches the palatter.

Usually in dvs timecode one channel goes backwards and the software use both signal comparation to accurate the analysis. I can uplad some technical documentation from Ms. Pinky Sdk if someone wants to take a look but I will do it this afternoon (now it is 15:06pm) or tomorrow.

I think i'm talking avout a different thing. In a DVS time code you have 2 signals 90 degrees shifted thats true. I'm talking about how to send the calculated relative speed to the PC or iPad, instead of sending MIDI messages, which is slow.

And the alternative could be data sent over audio channel which is usally used to send the digitized vinyl audio, but now as we process it externally, we can use the audio channel to send the pre-processed data.

Guest rasteri

For years I tried to sell mine and failed... I really can't remember if I still have it in my boxes of old DJ related stuff or if I binned it when I moved six months ago after years of failing to find anyone that wanted it for free.

Haha, I've got it :d

• Like 2

just ordered my dj focus pt ultra pitch mod.. this will be my first attempt with a soldering.. oh sorry did i bring the thread back on topic?

No you don't because it wasn't off :p

Ok jokes apart. How many of you feel "digitalization" of the needle isn't related to "portable scratcher"?

I ever dreamed about a wiki for this whole project (qfo digital portable turntable) but my collected resources are uploaded.

I can contribute a bit more with some ways.

- Helping Gory to bring all my (moreorless) knowledge about midi/hid/timecode research.

- Helping Rasteri trying to etching and solder some pcbs by myself at home. It will be my first batching attempt at home and it motives me. if I success I can help him with these part.

- Helping anyone is something you feel I could. it could include soldering "service" of things like ultra pitch mod or even write a step by step guide as I did for other projects in the past.

What do you say?

Guest petesasqwax

I feel like it's all part and parcel of the same project. The PT-01 seems like a great basis for a digital portable turntable and that is surely the long term goal?

My ideal situation is being able to have a unit which can be housed in a single case (maybe like a metal brief-case-style tool case?) which has a powered cross fader, turntable and DVS all built in.

Everyone who has given any kind of help in pushing this project has my complete gratitude and respect. I fucking love this shit! :)

Did everyone see the DVS setup that raiden shared via their facebook and probably instagram to

its done by using the app djplayer and one of these lightning to usb camera adapters and a serato record cut down to size
it seems to work pretty well from the video's I've seen
they go straight from the usb iin the PT01 to an ipad or iphone using the lightning adapter

http://www.apple.com/au/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter?afid=p238%7Cs7vNDqjPU-dc_mtid_18707vxu38484_pcrid_57250790806_&cid=aos-au-kwg-pla-btb-slid-

Edited by Djmadhatter
  • Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

Of course man - I'll post up video of it if it works

I have never used iphone as my phone but there are so many great music apps for it that I couldn't resist. I ended up getting mine from work for free when they upgraded one of the out of hours support mobiles :)

I know this app (and the developers too, they are located in Budapest). For the DVS function you need to buy the app, but it works great.

This is my attempt to process dvs signal in my hardware and make MIDI out of it, and send it to the DJPLayer app.

Edited by Gory

Guest petesasqwax

Did you see the video where somebody (can't remember who it was off the top of my head) put his record in the oven before cutting it? Seems like the best approach, but I'd be incredibly nervous of doing it!

didn't he have it between two pieces of glass? I don't have access to any easily and may find other uses for the hot knife. Also didn't he use scissors? I know I couldn't even cut a decent circle out of paper with scissors but thought I could trace round a scrap 45 with the knife. I've seen people cutting some pretty intricate designs in vinyl with one so a basic circle should be child's play but I'm still worried about warping at the edges but we shall see.

Hi guys!

I have uploaded all the info and documents related to this thread (minus digitalization which is at Gory blog) and added to the drive. Check it!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4ftWaZ6ARSUdy1jNThKRG5hM1k

@Rasteri if you have update the pcb/gerbers I will love to look at new pcb design (kicad can't open them right and I'm still wondering the possibility of using Eagle in bootcamp partition or so). Do you still have some boards to sell? I will talk with my friend to buy you 3 kits (two soldered and one non soldered to try it by myself!)

Cheers!

;)

So here is my Pt-01 start/stop button mod thanks to everyone here for giving me the confidence to go ahead :)

I have done a simple 10 step guide I tried to make it as clear as possible for anyone who like me might be a bit scared to try this.
I have never done any work on any kind of electronics like this, this is a first for me so I wanted everyone else in my position to see how easy this actually is so here we go

Firstly this is my start/stop button

This is the button you will find inside your Pt-01 which is activated by the movement of the tone arm

Step 1: Remove the original button

Step 2: cut the wires connected to the original button

Step 3: get the wires out from underneath the rest of the tangle of wires

Step 4: decide where your button is going to go I decided to put mine here which worked out perfectly with the length of the original wires saving me from having to add longer wires

step 5: drill out your hole for your button (mines a bit messy my largest drill bit was still slightly smaller than the button)

Step 6: now add your button

Step 7: figure out where to run your wires I did mine like this

Step 8: cut some grooves into the plastic casing to fit your wires into (the plastic is very soft and can easily be cut with a blade)

Step 9: solder your wires on to your button (be sure to test your connections first)

Step 10: run your wires through the grooves you cut and add a small spot of glue or tape or whatever you choose to hold the wires in place I used a hot glue gun

And thats it your done :)

I've also taken a whole bunch of photos of the internals of the Pt-01 for anyone to use as reference pics for mod tutorials or whatever

you can find them here:

http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/Djmadhatter0z/library/?sort=3&page=1

• Like 4