Numark PT-01 modding thread

Guest rasteri

haha yeh how can you not to want to do it even without any experience with electronics

what kind of fader do you have in there you seem to be getting pretty sharp cuts

I ordered a couple of lil buttons off ebay after looking at your post and pics
once I get the start/stop button sussed out I'll be moving on to installing a fader
still wondering how to go about this part I was gonna just go with a cheap easy to install fader

but I'm thinking it might be better to actually try and put something decent in there

Edited by Djmadhatter

Guest Symatic

nice work shotta!

can you link the battery pack you used and how you linked it up? i always wanted to put a usb charging battery in mine but never figured it out!

• Like 2

I just cut the battery wires and wired up a usb "a" tip to plug into one of my mophie battery packs just so I can swap then out. I eventually want to install a permanent battery with a charging port just gotta find one on eBay, maybe a 10,000 may battery. The one I have there now is only about 6,000mah. Runs great though.

• Like 2

Hello everyone,

I found this thanks to a friend who wants a qfo, barra, frisky... Whatever!

In first place let me give thanks to all of you to keep the topic alive and specially Rastieri (also Focus, Gizmo at all) thanks who I could manage to midify the cdx based in his great work with scratcherbox. In the last years I was trying to help some many projects (like Skrat.ch and scratchML) but I'm getting a bit tired about "the game" and focusing myself in live looping and other things in my life...

So I have an extense library about projects recopilated over the years and I want to share it before I lost it in some "next" computer reset. It has things about diy from midi controllers to audio... And due to the open source comunity spirit of the people involved here and the respect for all the work I decided to share it but I don't know where should be the best option, gitub? Dropbox? It has some gigas...

What do you say?

Thanks once again.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

oh, man - that's an immensely generous offer! Either of those would be excellent. I would happily mirror it somewhere on my mediafire space too if that would help.

• Like 1

Hi people!

The upload was done days ago. Since it was done at Rasteri google drive I'm waiting him to update all of us. I supose he is a bit busy and maybe he didn't read the pm or check the uploading content... Someone has any way to contact him directly?

Meanwhile... I was collecting all these resources to make my own portable controller (with scratchbox/cdx modding and iphone compatibility) but I have some other projects before and zero energy. In any way I could explain the idea when everybody can access to the drive resources.

Proof of concept.

http://youtu.be/G17o_HuQvo4

The hackmat blog dead time ago (as some many others) so most of the info wasn't online until now.

Cheers

:)

Edited by Mutis Mayfield
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest petesasqwax

I love the idea of using the TTM-1! I found the manual for mine the other day but I sold the unit years and years ago. Maybe I should get another one...

Hi there!

The Algoriddim TTM hack is done by me. It is a small STM32 processor based device. I made a 4 channel ultra low latency USB soundcard which is iOS compatible, and a MIDI interface. A smart algorithm translates the vinoy movement from TTM encoder ro MIDI messages (midi controller scratch mode and jog movement)

I did the same with directly analyzing the time code vinly audio, so the newer version works with the vinyl only without the TTM too.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I don't check this thread too often, so maybe questions could also be commented in the wordpress blog up there.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

Hey Gory! Great to have you here, man. Huge props on the device - I love it. How differently does the TTM1 perform compared to the vinyl? Is one particularly more accurate or responsive than the other?

Guest rasteri

Oh wow, some really interesting stuff you got going on there Gory...

How are you interfacing your stm32 with djay?

Also what's that stuff with the optical mouse encoder? Seems like you'd get better non-contact results using a black/white stripe pattern around the edge of the vinyl as well as some sort of photoreflector...

In my setup, responsibility or resolution does not really depend on the vinyl or TTM1. The TTM1 generates around 4100 ticks per rotation on the outter edge of the vinyl. And of course it generates less if I place it closer to the center.

The timecode signal is 3000 on my Mixvibes vinyl which means around 5400 ticks per rotation (maybe times 4 because of the two phase shifted signals generates twice as much and I can copare to both rising and falling edges). And it has the same resolution towards the center obviously, so it dos not depend on where you place the needle.

A MIDI jogwheel has around 800 ticks per rotation, maybe different for a differnet dj controller. And that limits the resolution of the movement.

The other problem is with the MIDI. You only can send a packet in every 1ms, but in real life it is around 4-6ms. That limits the responsibility.

Unfortunatelly iOS devices cannot handle HID. It would be better because it is easier and works with 1ms at least.

Edited by Gory
  • Like 1

If you read the whole blog you got the answer :) I reverse engineered my Reloop Beatpad, and emulated it with the STM32 to the software. It nees the USB VID, PID and maybe the MIDI interface.

The optical mouse stuff is an optical mouse chip. I interfaced it throug SPI to my board. But in the end i calculated that it would be too slow for this purpose. 1600dpi with 33 1/3 rpm on the outter edge. But maybe i remember wrong. I never had time to finish it. It does not need any optical marks. It can work on the pure vinyl surface.

Edited by Gory
  • Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

I looked into using the TTM1 back when I had the Vestax CD unit with it and was looking at building a portable unit where it would mount underneath the platter (but operate on the same basis). I have no idea now why I thought that would be a good idea rather a completely pointless waste of a lot of time and effort (which is what it seems like now!).

Have you considered using something other than a ipad? For example - we have discussed on here the idea of using a Raspberry Pi 2 running Xwax as a DVS system and it's something I'm hoping to find time to start working on properly in the next few months.

In the first place, I would like to make a vinyl interface for my iPad app. So that's why I didn't consider anythng else. I like the app, it is stable, feture rich, contains all I need and ipad is more portable. I don't really like xwax on the other hand.

I have some connection with other djay application developers for mobile. My idea was costumising they application to easily work with my hardware and to get the lowest possible latency on the market. (My sound card has 1ms latency)

Oh wow, some really interesting stuff you got going on there Gory...

How are you interfacing your stm32 with djay?

Also what's that stuff with the optical mouse encoder? Seems like you'd get better non-contact results using a black/white stripe pattern around the edge of the vinyl as well as some sort of photoreflector...

http://justinkent.com/inventor/worlds-first-midi-turntable.html

http://youtu.be/NLE3rGDposM

Have you considered using something other than a ipad? For example - we have discussed on here the idea of using a Raspberry Pi 2 running Xwax as a DVS system and it's something I'm hoping to find time to start working on properly in the next few months.

At scratchML project some nice guys were coding a "blackbox" to do this. Do you was involved there? If not I can point some other "resources" to go faster in this route even I'm more in the ipad path... Well I'm more in "none" path but I love to bring all the help I can before I leave it at all. So... Let's go!

The better distro for realtime and stompboximg

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~eberdahl/Satellite/

Some inspiration for a pure data patch (pure data included inside these distro ;))

https://youtu.be/sMyIu2iyBro

http://atelier.tkrworks.net/controller3102?lang=en

Add ttm or these nice timecode digitalizer (schmitt trigger?) if you prefer it.

I hope it should useful.

Ps: At drive there is a folder for ttm (including the rasteri code from scratchbox ported to arduino) and some resources about cores to develop etc. Take a look ;)

Edited by Mutis Mayfield

For me there were some challanges while making TTM to MIDI jogwheel conversion.

1) There is a normal mode, when the vinyl spins normally. Stutter is eliminated by averaging the right amont of samples to keep the tempo stable. The TTM has some variations in ticks/second by default. And because the resolution is not that fine, It could cause tempo fluctuation otherwise.

2) I have to sense when somebody is touching the vinyl and scratching because I have to send out the jog touch event to be able to switch to scratch mode from pitch bend mode (or switch master tempo on/off) In scratch mode I use a more responsive but less accurate method to convert vinyl moves to MIDI. I use some kind of simple analysis in the time domain.

3) I have to sense when the pitch potmeter on the turntable is moved and the normal mode speed changes, because I have to move the pitch slider of the app with MIDI commands. I derivate this information from tempo change over a period of time, because unfortunatelly it is not possible to directly handle the pitch fader moves without modification on the turntable.

4) Also I have to be able to differentiate when the DJ uses the platter to slighli modify the tempo, when he moves the turntable pitch fader , or when he scratches.

I think the most elegant way to pass all these information to a sowftware is using HID or using an audio channel backwards to send digital information with a more higher speed, than MIDI or HID. The software can than handle an incoming mono audio stream as a relative vinyl speed data. It can be done easily on an iPad because it can handle USB Audio Class, while it cant handle a generic HID class device.