2 click flares ---- double time!

TyraFromSaigon

If you do them with twiddles, you can alter the timing with your fingers to get different sounds. Besides which, as Dee said, there are no rules. If there were, we'd practice the pinch style until we all sounded exactly the same and that would be pretty boring.

I appreciate that you're saying to learn different methods Kian, but there do seem to be a lot of people who think there is only one set way to do a scratch, or that one method is better in some way than another and I don't think that's right.

That's fine but you'll want to do it pinch method.  Sounds different and some say it sounds better than crab method.

i can do it either way. CLiCK. the way i see it is do whatever feels right for you. i prefer pincer style personally, but whatever....

Guest Deeswift

Maybe I mentioned this before, I can't remember (and I sure ain't looking through 7 pages of this thread!).

I did some blind testing with two of my friends to see if they could hear a difference between twiddle style 2-click orbits and wrist style. I alternated between both at random while they had their backs turned. They had no clue which was which. So, I think it doesn't make a difference however you do it. As I said before, it's the end result that is important. It's easier to do twiddle style orbits than wrist orbits, especially at high speed, but people seem to wanna choose the longer-way-round to travelling the same journey, basically because they think it looks cooler. That's the only conclusion I can come to, and I remember saying this 5 years ago on TTNN. If there is no difference in the final sound, it doesn't really mean shit. It's cool to be able to do either style equally as good, just for the sake of better scope when it comes to combo's, but it works both ways -- I can make MANY more combo's out of twiddles than I can out of wrist flares.

There's two routes to get home. One is quick and easy and you can walk it fast. The other takes longer, makes you tired, and wears your shoes out. You decide!

If you take the latter option, you only took it because there's a bully on the easy route who's likely to pick on you. I say go kick the shit out of him and do your thing.

Haha nicely put. I have a strange way of clickin it's done with my wrist but not realy the same as your average wristie<--- :s

If i can i'll get a video clip posted some time. It looks like im doing slow transforms even when im doin flat out double clicks.

i took the latter option cos back then i thought it was the only way to do it. this was before i got into the forums and interweb and the only source for info i had was DMC videos. nobody twiddled on them so when i accidentally stumbled on 2 clicks twiddle style cos they didn't sound how i wanted them too i decided to press on and learn the pinch style.

i'm glad i did, my scratching improved and my fader control tightened a hell of a lot after i got that down cos i could use the pinch style for other things beside flares.

• 7 years later...
  • 8 years later...

Bringing this thread back for 2021 like 😎

Being as my deck is working again I've been trying to get some cuts down and realised I use the twiddle method for 2 click flares. Just seems easier, although I'm finding it hard to do a chirp flare combos using that method so also been learning the other way (wrist style) and it's a lot harder.

It was fun looking through this thread though and seeing some names from years ago.

• Like 2

Totally agree with what DSwift (RIP) says above.  If you can't hear a difference it doesn't matter and there are different levels of control you're going to get depending on how you execute things and what combos you are using.

For what its worth, D-Styles is a big proponent of the pinch/wrist style due to control of the click placement.  Speed is one thing, but when you're using the pinch/wrist you can more accurately place the clicks for different sounds.  Also, a lot of the scratch combos that have evolved since 2005 require discipline with your clicks, where you're varying up the number of clicks instead of just orbiting.  The pinch method is going to be a lot more conducive to those types of cuts.  

• Like 2