Beat making setup

Just wondered what setup most people use for beatmaking....and why they do it that way ? From reading around alot of 'serious' HH production is done on MPC's , but having always used software i can't really figure out what advantage and MPC would bring ..

Generally i write tracks in Reason, taking samples from my decks (recyle to convert) and using the synths. Midi input and automation is pretty simple in reason, and i like the way how you can distinguish loops easily in the sequencer.

Once i've got most of the track down in reason i sample each track and then load them into sonicfoundry/sony Acid to do a final vol mix/eq/add fx. Acid is pretty cool. It's really easy to over dub stuff like cuts, acapellas, intruments etc .... also like the way you can draw automation on the tracks .....It's got VST and rewire support too ..

snuff... what sampler/plugins u using in cubase ? what do you think about the cubase sound quality..? A Mate had a similar setup but went one step futher and used a multi out soundcard into an anlogue mixer ... sounded fuckin dope...

FUCK AN MPC

nah .. if you wanna keep it REAL you gotta get a fuck off kit like that THEN sample it into the MPC ;)

snuff... what sampler/plugins u using in cubase ? what do you think about the cubase sound quality..? A Mate had a similar setup but went one step futher and used a multi out soundcard into an anlogue mixer ... sounded fuckin dope...

waves diamond budle

waves IR1 advanced reverb

PSP vintage warmer and meter

errrm thats about it really...

sound quality is great, no complaints and i've got a system that seems to work for mixing down beats to make em sound funky fresh

FUCK AN MPC

nah .. if you wanna keep it REAL you gotta get a fuck off kit like that THEN sample it into the MPC ;)

words fail me

;) MPC is the most over rated piece of kit, not saying it's crap, but the way people go on about it sheesh

Here's a list of gear used from time to time:

Sp202 & Sp404 for sampling and chopping samples - ear method.

FL Studio for midi and drums.

Protools for arranging and mixing.

TC Electronics D-Two Hardware Delay

Electrix FilterFactory (Analog)

Laptop

Serato (2 Tables and Mixer)

M-Audio Trigger Finger

M-Audio 02

Reason

ReCycle

Nuendo

Vegas

Sound Forge

1 guitar

1 bass

IMO An MPC cost more than a Laptop and a trigger, so I would go with a Laptop and trigger, you can't surf the web with the MPC...

Just in the getting errything together stage, but I think this will do me alright:

Akai S900 - For drums and it's filter

MPD - Duh

iDrum - Basically like Reason's Redrum, only with more control over velocity settings and surprisingly really cool swing settings

Live - Sequencing, Effects, Mixing, etc.

Plus all my Djing shit and about 500 or so old records (lots of SHIT) to grab samples from.

• 3 weeks later...

Yo.. it all depends on the sound you want to get!

You see.. i truly believe that u can do anything with any piece of material.. but its just that some stuff kinda drives u more easily into a particular sound. Like say.. if i use an sp-1200 to do clean muzik... ill have to put a lot of time on hiss removal and shit (if i ever get to remove all the dirt this peace of junk kan put on samples.. i luv it ahhahahahah)

Personally... i started makin beats by the end of my 2nd highschool grade ahah.. and i did it with Fruity loops.. because im in a lot of sample work. Then i got into reason cuz i wanted to explore compositions. If you want to make some "huge productions with a lot of effects and compositions, reverb and stuff" then just use Reason.. with a midi keyboard! Now if u wanna get more into sample work because ur a crate digger (like i mostly am) ... just get fl studio... and sound forge.. start chopping things(from cds and vinyls please.. mp3s really suck.. i know i do it way too much)... Fl is simple and is kinda oriented just like a hardware sampler. It only plays the sound when u want to... but it has some pretty cOo| features.. if ur a lot into old school hip hop .. more purist shit.. or even electro... itll do the job i promise! (again... its all about what u can do with ur material)

Personally... i do my stuff on fl.. add sum effects on reason sometimes.. but it didn't do the job for me. Plus my ass owns an Mpc 3k ... and all of you who said it wasn't what they say it is.. its because u tried the newer versions.. the 3k (like the sp 1200 and the mpc 60) is da bomb man... But again... there's sum stuff u can't really do with it easily and that has more chances to work on a comp.. the best way is to experiment and try a lot of stuff.. but once u get into something.. stick to it and tear the shit out of the material u have!

Yo i have a freind who does REAAAAAAAL DOPE SHIT (i mean like.. with his own style.. he could start a label) and he only uses Cool edit pro... nothing else.. he just knows the program by heart.. and that'S the important.. no matter the limitations! trust me.

yeah but ill say :

Fl studio : sampling is dope

Reason : mad possibilities for compositions and effects

Hardware : if u have a lot of patience and like that analog feel!

A combination.. once u know what u want!

Oh and i sample everything through my PMC 05.. !

oh and if u have a tight budget or questions about beatmaking : neopandorex@hotmail.com.. ill be pretty happy to help u with the things i know about making muzik with low budget! Ive been in this thing for sum like 5 years. intensive.. ask my girlfriend ahahah

Peace all o' yall.. make us bounce!

im off

Lam

Edited by Lam

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to get my shit together at the mo....

6 months I went and dropped about £800 on a fly new PC with an EMU1820M soundcard. I was running a load of soft synths for bass bleeps and bloops, Soundforge for sample editing, FL studio for programming beats and soft synth riffs, then finally Acid for arranging all the audio. I'd look at my PC and think to myself "I've got a fully featured music production studio for £800!"

2 months ago my bro lent me his MPC3000. A month later he came and picked it back up.

Now I look at my PC and think to myself "I've got a hard disk recorder with with 1 stereo 24bit 192khz input for £800".

:((

as a change from programming iv just setup a rather nice old drum kit in my studio - now in recording i can mic up and tune the drums in anyway i fancy, add as much or as little room as i fancy, and also play in groove and swing nah trouble.... dooope,

cant make any more music or another 3 weeks tho....

.... with 1 stereo 24bit 192khz input ....".

what do you mean ? Would be great if you could let us know some of the differences .. how the MPC compares ... i'm well interested in getting one (but never had the chance to play on one :(( ) ....

Edited by kut_class