Numark PT-01 modding thread

Guest rasteri

Circuit design finalised and laid out. It now has bass kills and a much improved mixer section.

I've ordered a single one for final testing, assuming it doesn't blow up I'll order 15 or so as an initial run.

I might have to increase the price of the kit with the fader as I don't have as many PCV faders lying around as I thought. Depends how many people want one.

Updated schematic :

• Like 1

I've just put two 2-pin headers on the board, when they're shorted it enables a 380hz highpass filter. This can either be done with jumpers (like this - http://www.escol.com.my/images/Jumper%20for%20header%20pins.jpg) or by connecting a DPST switch to it (which could then be mounted somewhere on the case for easy access).

I'll probably include some jumpers and a switch with the kit so you can decide which to use.

• Like 1

Hmm, looks like my work is about to become redundant then....

Feeling pretty rubbish for you dude :(

But let's see how much this'll cost ay, for any PT 01 owners your mod is gonna give dope scratch access at probably less than 1/4 of the price than this new portable deck......but yeah I can appreciate where ha coming from.

yeah my IG feed was going off about this. Cool concept. The adjustable fader and everything.

But I'm skeptical at this time. It's literally a piece of paper right now. If this thing goes to Kickstarter without a solid manufacturer backing it I'm not biting. It'll be a long time before this comes to fruition.

Oh and the belt drive.... how hard is it to put in direct drive? I'm assuming the belt drive reduces cost and weight and all that.

Guest rasteri

As they don't even have a prototype together yet it's probably not gonna come out for a year or more. But I reckon I'm gonna switch focus to something else, probably using the same circuit.

• Like 1

As they don't even have a prototype together yet it's probably not gonna come out for a year or more. But I reckon I'm gonna switch focus to something else, probably using the same circuit.

Funk that...Stay on Path, Rasteri...Getting a zillion FB messages asking my thoughts on this...

The internet is going nuts over a 2D Drawing/Printout and the only thing the Drawing points out is that a demand is there for a portable, demand has built over time, these posts on modding the Portable Turntables mos def helped to motivate and inspire some folks...

Hopefully, whoever is putting this project together is into the Scratch Arts because normally the way things go, upportunists wait till everyone else does the work and it gets to a profit margin sweet spot...Portable Vestax Turntables selling for $300 has some peeps seeing dollar signs...

Can anyone point out where the Tone Arm Rest / Lock is? :-)

There are some things missing and the innofader ish has to dieee quick. That adds another 100$ to the price?

Part of the Beauty of this NanoFader Cicuit was / is as we talked about, the fact that it allowed you to make your own Contactless Fader / Optical or Magnetic, using existing fader mechanisms for close to zero cost...

Scratch Brothers, there is absolutley no reason why you can't take apart an existing Portable Turntable Numark/Ion/Crosley...Make a new case using a CNC Router or 3d Printer, if you are handy with tools then Hand Crafted it is, I'd like to place an order now for one with a Wooden Body with a Solid Black Piano Finish......Add Rasteri Nano Fader Circuit, Rumble Filter anddd...

Rasteri, didn't you mention adding a better speed controller? PWM rpm circuit and new motor? We just need a someone with a CNC Router or A Good 3d Printer...

Ps. If you are putting this turntable project together, are into the Scratch Arts and are reading this then no disrespect intended and good luck.

Edited by Focus
  • Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

Also, adding to what Focus was saying:

Oh, if only we knew people who were incredibly innovative and capable engineers - people who, I dunno, had the skills to repair and modify all manner of DJ equipment from a scratch artist perspective. If only we knew people who designed shit like the first optical faders for scratch mixers... If only we had the support of recognised DJs like, I dunno, national DMC title holders, World DMC title holders etc. :)

I bet Ric could turn his awesome 1200plates skills towards making metal faceplates for a wooden turntable base. A re-engineered PT-01 wouldn't be that difficult to manufacture, would it?

Future iterations could add direct-drive capability and phono plug options so that it could be a self contained serato/traktor unit too...

I'm still 100% on board with this in whatever capacity I can be of use (cheerleader?)

Hey, Pete pointed me towards this thread and it sounds like an incredible idea!!! I'm totally up for helping out in any way I can, a folded sheet metal unit with holes, slots and whatever else wouldn't be a problem for me to have made.
I'm excited to see what come of it all!!

cheers

Ric

• Like 1

Guest rasteri

That's sick... I know fuck all about enclosure manufacture so it would be great to collaborate on a project.

I'll still have the initial run of circuit boards manufactured.

• Like 1