Originals vs repress etc

d00ban

If you want to use rape to mean "destroy, win, overpower" or whatever that's your choice but I object to it on the grounds I mentioned above. I just like to bring this to people's attention and get them to consider what words get used. I'm well aware of how widely that word is used, but it doesn't mean it's OK.

I'm not offended by it but I reported it because I don't think it reflects well on the board. I've also reported people on here before for using the word "faggot" as an insult. Clearly the moderator sees this differently.

I'm not the language police, I just think people should make considered choices when they say things and even more so when it's permanently recorded somewhere like the internet. (Not actually permanent by whatevs).

Before hitting the "report" button, please consider whether there is something actually worth reporting. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to come round and rape you. Cheers.

FLOL

If you want to use rape to mean "destroy, win, overpower" or whatever that's your choice but I object to it on the grounds I mentioned above. I just like to bring this to people's attention and get them to consider what words get used. I'm well aware of how widely that word is used, but it doesn't mean it's OK.

I'm not offended by it but I reported it because I don't think it reflects well on the board. I've also reported people on here before for using the word "faggot" as an insult. Clearly the moderator sees this differently.

I'm not the language police, I just think people should make considered choices when they say things and even more so when it's permanently recorded somewhere like the internet. (Not actually permanent by whatevs).

I'm largely of the opposite. I don't assign words intrinsic power in particular English words since it's an evolving and creative language. I enjoy and encourage unique use of words in nontraditional ways. My issue is more with the underlying intent, not the vessel. Actual words are but a small portion of the larger social cues and message transmitted. Many of the worst things said to me had no curses or slurs involved. Sadly people get all fukkin butt-hurt over a bunch of words that bitches have assigned their own ethnocentric merit to and that shit is ghey as hell.

• Like 1

I'm largely of the opposite. I don't assign words intrinsic power in particular English words since it's an evolving and creative language. I enjoy and encourage unique use of words in nontraditional ways. My issue is more with the underlying intent, not the vessel. Actual words are but a small portion of the larger social cues and message transmitted. Many of the worst things said to me had no curses or slurs involved. Sadly people get all fukkin butt-hurt over a bunch of words that bitches have assigned their own ethnocentric merit to and that shit is ghey as hell.

That's not the opposite of what I said.

The word "rape" isn't an empty token. I don't think Supacuts wants to rape anyone; what's happened to the word is an example of lexical weakening (or broadening), where a word loses some of its original meaning. This happens all the time. It's not really special in that regard. What is interesting is the choice of that particular word. Why take something that's so violent and unpleasant in meaning and weaken it to mean something so trivial?

Why not preserve it's power?

A similar example would be the word "spastic". If you think words have no intrinsic meaning would you call someone who did something stupid a "fucking spastic"? If not, why not? Actually I'm not sure if you use(d) that word in the US. Would you ever use the verb "jew" to mean "to con someone out of money"? Why not?

That's not the opposite of what I said.

The word "rape" isn't an empty token. I don't think Supacuts wants to rape anyone; what's happened to the word is an example of lexical weakening (or broadening), where a word loses some of its original meaning. This happens all the time. It's not really special in that regard. What is interesting is the choice of that particular word. Why take something that's so violent and unpleasant in meaning and weaken it to mean something so trivial?

Sure, rape isn't a nonsense word we literally just made up--I'll give you that--it has a history and a social meaning that was constructed at some point in the past. I'd agree that the word has been broadened (like probably half of the words you say every day in regular conversation) but would not say it's been weakened as you claim. When used in it's primary form of a violent sexual act it still has just as much impact. The context, not the word, gives it power which is what I've said all along--and if it didn't then a new word variant would spring up to fill the need. To continue, I would completely disagree with you about unconventional use weakening the word--first, the context truly matters as I've said. Second, I think supa used the word to creatively express his hate and disgust. Fair play. Just because he has edge to his reply doesn't make it invalid nor something to get bleeding heart about. If that's really how you feel about words tho then I don't know how you've not been disgusted by most every conversation you've ever had. I personally think stretching meaning so that our limited lexicon can accurately describe raw thoughts and emotions is amazing.

Why not preserve it's power?

What power? The completely subjective power we as a society have placed on it given the time and place in history? Power is given to words all the time and likewise taken away. Look at any edgy or cool word. Heck, you can even look at the "peace" symbol as an example. Words rise and fall. Sometimes die out entirely and others are born. That's rhetoric man.

Would you ever use the verb "jew" to mean "to con someone out of money"? Why not?

Yes people say that here. Given your ramble I dunno if that supports your argument or not tho...

• Like 2

I just want to apologise for using that word. It was meant to be funny but on hindsight, I can see it was a tasteless "joke".

I do feel my freedom of speech has been challenged but ultimately, whilst I like having my say, it can never be at the cost of people's feelings - and it's not like I wanna upset people over a comment as flippant as the aforementioned.

I hope nobody gets sexually assaulted as a result of reading my comment.

• Like 2

I think he does mean it literally though. His intent is to force his "needle" repeatedly through its "groove" as his "priceless original" looks on. Only the repress knows if it wanted it...

a needle? needless to say dont use needles okay? im not that type of a duggie punk

I'm not arguing about what you think I'm arguing about.

Rather than me post a wall of reply, let's do this point by point because I think it'd be more productive.

The use of "rape" to mean "beat, overpower, subdue" etc. is an example of semantic weakening (not lexical weakening as I said earlier). That's a fact. Semantic weakening is a form of semantic change. You agree with me on that. This particular example is known as semantic weakening because you take a specific act of very violent overpowering (actual rape) and weaken its meaning to mean a less violent form of overpowering. That's sometimes called semantic weakening, it's just a linguisitc name for the phenomenon. We agree on what's going on. It doesn't really matter what it's called. Sometimes it's known as widening or broadening. What's important is that it's a change in meaning; a semantic change.

Other examples of semantic change would be the word "broadcasting" which originally meant "to spread seeds about" but which now means "to send television signals". Thanks Wikipedia.

As you say it happens all the time in language. I'm fine with that.

So that's the start of my argument.

Do you agree that:

a) this use of rape is a form of semantic change and

b) that I'm fine with the phenomenon of semantic change as a whole?