Originals vs repress etc

d00ban

I could argue but I'm just taking this as a win.

Once again you've just publicly confirmed what we all know about you p3kt0r: i.e. that you're a lumbering jackass of a human being with the intellect of a walnut. Take care now!

You were that upset about someone saying "rape the repress"? How do you use the internet without crying yourself to sleep at night?

• Like 1

How can you tell if its a repress?!?!

LOL, amateurs

We don't all work in bloody record shops. As far as I can tell, a lot of the time represses look the same except with a different date or serial number.

For instance:

http://www.discogs.com/Donald-Byrd-Stepping-Into-Tomorrow/release/3782012

http://www.discogs.com/Donald-Byrd-Stepping-Into-Tomorrow/release/2974020

So in this particular example, I guess you could tell by the date. But say the date was much closer to the actual release date, and you weren't sure of that date exactly how would you tell? In the pics the colours look slightly different too but let's just say they were the same for the sake of the example. I haven't got time to find a better example at the min as I'm at work.

Basically, is Discogs etc the only way to know for sure?

Oh and for the record, I basically am a n00b when it comes to this shit.

• Like 1

a repress is mostly recognized by the label printing..i can tell the OG Planet Rock from the repress..not that it matters to me as music is music..as long as the quality of pressing is fine

the original Beat Bop is worth about $1000..the repress $10..i got the repress as idc about having something extremely valuable..i would sell the original if i had it

There are some OG pressings that sound like shit, Eric B. & Rakim's "Let The Rhythm Hit 'Em", for example.

Don't get me started on that record. I've found two copies of it for $4 once. There was also a copy of Wu Tang Clan Ain't Nothing To Fuck Wit in it for $3. Both had absolutely abysmal sound quality but I bought them without listening to them because they were so cheap.

Bad sounding represses I've bought were the Blackstar LP or Stunts, Blunts & Hip Hop which had covers that looked like they were xeroxed during an earth quake.

I just buy what's cheap and decent sounding. With everybody (me included at times) mixing MP3s from Youtube or doing house parties with laptop speakers, I've lost my ear for good sound quality anyway.

• Like 1

Yeah, if your looking at them first hand it should be pretty obvious which one's new and which is the old one.

Online though, you're basically at the mercy of the seller... especially on discogs where you don't see a photo of the actual record for sale.

It depends totally on the record, but details like label design, sleeve (gatefold or not, flipback or not, etc) and for the real nerds, matrix and even stamper numbers can be used to place a record's exact place on a production line. It depends on the record - some had a short original press and then a much later repress, others have been pressed many times since first issued.

Often, checking out past sales on popsike.com is as good a reference as any. Not everyone selling rare records is an expert, but by going with the majority you should get some idea.

I could argue but I'm just taking this as a win.

Once again you've just publicly confirmed what we all know about you p3kt0r: i.e. that you're a lumbering jackass of a human being with the intellect of a walnut. Take care now!

You were that upset about someone saying "rape the repress"? How do you use the internet without crying yourself to sleep at night?

Aren't you supposed to have a philosophy degree? What's difficult to understand? Or is it just that you're an irrepressibly snide little fuck?

Aren't you supposed to have a philosophy degree? What's difficult to understand? Or is it just that you're an irrepressibly snide little fuck?

I do have a philosophy degree but I don't have a degree on getting a sandy vagina about someone using some mildly harsh wording on the internet. I'm pretty sure I read something worse every time I go on youtube, so again I'm not sure how you function on the internet. I feel like you'd get along well with the person who reported me for cyber bullying on facebook when I called someone out to battle for their turntables.

Yoshi said something about Vekked that made me laugh he said "He's exactly how I imagined him to be, only with a childs voice" haha

LOL someone else said something like that too, awesome. But wtf Yoshi met me last year too.

did vekked forget his password or something?

Nah, just one of my e-riders I guess. Check my FB wall, I don't even fight my own internet fights anymore, just let my goons take care of the haters for me.

• Like 2

I do have a philosophy degree but I don't have a degree on getting a sandy vagina about someone using some mildly harsh wording on the internet. I'm pretty sure I read something worse every time I go on youtube, so again I'm not sure how you function on the internet. I feel like you'd get along well with the person who reported me for cyber bullying on facebook when I called someone out to battle for their turntables.

OK so you don't get it. Your "sandy vagina" comment makes it plain to me where your head is on this matter.

I think using the word "rape" to mean "disregard" or "dismiss" shows a fairly callous attitude to violent sexual assault. I don't like to "do a diss" but you might want to read this article and many others like them online which articulate this sentiment fairly well.

If I ran a website I would discourage people who posted on there from using language like that but that's just my opinion. Maybe you have a different opinion. Maybe you could articulate it with some of those big words you learnt?

I got it man, you think there's no excuse for saying the word rape ever out of context. I'm feeling generous today, so if you want I'll allow you to continue posting on the internet as much as you want (no limit on characters, or what sites you post on) and you absolutely do not have to say the word rape, even if it's in context. I won't ban you or penalize you in any way for not saying the R-word. If you really dislike the use of it, I won't force you to say it and if anyone is bullying you about not using it just report to me and I'll talk to them. You shouldn't have to use words you don't like, it's not right.

Of course we do all know that the "r-word" isn't just descriptive of forceful intercourse and I believe that "cherishing the original and destroyng the repress" (in this case via the medium of incessant juggling) still applies.

I'd really rather people took a minute to use a dictionary before accusing me of being callous.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/rape

• Like 1