Originals vs repress etc

d00ban

Yo so I been buying a few rekkids again recently. Was in a record shop that had an original Nick Drake - Pink Moon (my most listened to album according to last FM) for £400 quid.

Obvs that is an extreme example but it got me thinking, would you rather have an original for more or a repress for less. If you would prefer the orig, what's your limit?

Also I read somewhere represses can be worse quality due to them not being pressed from the original master etc, how do you know if the one you see in the shop is a crap version etc, guess you just do some research on discogs or something?

I would rather have an OG version, but it depends what the price difference is. Also, it depends if I can get a mint version of the OG release, cos I would take a brand new repress over some crusty old original pressing that's been played a million times.

You can get an original pressing of that Nick Drake record for a lot less than 400 quid!

There are some OG pressings that sound like shit, Eric B. & Rakim's "Let The Rhythm Hit 'Em", for example. I dunno if there's a site out there that rates different versions of releases by sound quality, but it would be handy if there was.

I think to some extent you can tell whether a reissue is worth getting by the label who reissues it. But some official represses sound gash.

The Nick Drake will be rare at a guess. Fuck spending 400 quid on a record (unless you're Steve and its an Angela Winbush). I wouldn't spend 40 quid on a record. Come to think of it I've probably not gone over 4 quid on a record more than about 5 times in the past few years.

What do you mean by record collector?

I consider myself a record collector in that I acquire a lot of records but I'm not nerdly about it. I just buy records I like rather than rare or valuable ones.

I say every DJ has a duty to acquire a lot of records or at least music.

The only time I've bought records I don't like is when I've taken a punt on some cheap random 12" or album without knowing what it is, or if I buy a bundle of records at a good price knowing that there's a few in there I don't like. I don't buy records I don't like just because they might become collectible or valuable. I don't sell records, so if any of mine are valuable, then it's whoever gets them after I'm dead that will benefit, haha.

I'd class myself as music fan more than record collector or dj

I'm deffo moving more this way at the minute.

What's everyone's thoughts on compilations? I suppose I kind of view them like represses, they're not worth as much to me personally but you can often get several tunes you want on vinyl in one go which makes them worth getting.

Guest Symatic

I'd spend money on something i really wanted and knew i'd play/sample/use in some way. probably not 400 quid tho...

I'd assume OG pressings will sound better, assuming theyre in good nick obviously. but sometimes labels reissue stuff that was cocked up in the first place so they make a big deal of the remastering etc. whether or not they do a good job is debatable.

for example, Clocktower records do lots of great reggae albums but lots of them sound shit.

Why's that then? coz you can't find em easy or for some other reason I dunno?

Fugg me d00bly you've been DJing a lot longer than me as well.

P00r show.

To weigh in on the debate - I'd prefer an OG pressing but do have a lot of re-issue comps. Lots are quite well done.

my experience with UK 45rpm 12inch pressings is that they sound worse than the originals..talking about the Tommy boy and Sugarhill releases from the 80s..for some reason they decided to release them at 45 rpm..the original US pressings of 80s jams i only buy..i made the mistake of ordering at HTTR not realizing they mostly sell overprized bad quality UK releases.

reissues are often more warped than the originals..i got a warping machine but it doesnt get rid of vertical warps..only horizontal wich is obvious of course

i also do sell records..i dont like keeping too many things..only keeping the best quality ones..so i basically rather have a small good quality collection than a huge collection with records that are not that good. My collection consists of hiphop, electro funk, soul, new wave and some 90s boombap although idc much about the 90s anymore as the 80s is the best decade in music imo.

as far as the current releases..occasionally i buy something post 2000..i bought the 1st nu-electro record from streetsounds..ppl still make good electro although ppl often mistake the real electro with the house electro wich is not my style..electro funk basically is a total different genre wich the mainstream is oblivious about.

I suppose I am a record collector, I just use the term with caution cos although a lot of people assume all record collectors are cool, I've found the majority to be mentally not right, living with their parents, mouth breathing mother fuckers.

I'd basically align myself with Wax's above distinction of himself, except I do like to have the music I collect on a bit if black plastic if possible so I guess the tag 'record collector' is inescapable.

The most I'd ever pay for a record would probably be about £30 and if I have the choice between a £3 repress and a £30 original, I'll take the repress all day. I do have quite a few valuable records, but I got them through work and didn't pay full wack for them and once I've got them I just play and enjoy them and forget about their potential value.

Also, I never keep anything I don't play for the sake of collecting... better that someone else has it who would enjoy playing it. Plus, I'd rather have a concise collection of music I love than a collection three times bigger full of dross I'm not that into.

Yo so I been buying a few rekkids again recently. Was in a record shop that had an original Nick Drake - Pink Moon (my most listened to album according to last FM) for £400 quid.

Obvs that is an extreme example but it got me thinking, would you rather have an original for more or a repress for less. If you would prefer the orig, what's your limit?

Also I read somewhere represses can be worse quality due to them not being pressed from the original master etc, how do you know if the one you see in the shop is a crap version etc, guess you just do some research on discogs or something?

I'd rather have the original press but I'm not gonna pay through the nose for it. Represses are fine for what they are. It's a pet peeve tho when people are showing off their record collection on r/vinyl or whatever and it's just a bunch of represses. There's nothing cool about a collection of represses.

I could argue but I'm just taking this as a win.

Once again you've just publicly confirmed what we all know about you p3kt0r: i.e. that you're a lumbering jackass of a human being with the intellect of a walnut. Take care now!

Ya I prob should know more about this shit than I do. Guess I've always been more of a DJ than a record collector till now. What's worse about it exactly?

I'd rather have the original press but I'm not gonna pay through the nose for it. Represses are fine for what they are. It's a pet peeve tho when people are showing off their record collection on r/vinyl or whatever and it's just a bunch of represses. There's nothing cool about a collection of represses.

How could you even tell if it was a repress or not though Dirka? ie if it was a fairly old repress itself, not like some brand new ish. Unless you had the knowledge of which label pressed it first or whatever... Which would seem likely as it's impossible to know for everything no?

Guest Symatic

also i'm happy to buy represses and comps for juggling breaks.

i'm not about to practice juggling on £100 worth of vinyl.

Serato is making this easy but I like using records for funk breaks still. so if i can get a breaks and beats record pair of doubles for £15 im gonna go for that and rinse it rather than pay loads for OG's and regret it later when all the best bits are unlistenable

Ya I prob should know more about this shit than I do. Guess I've always been more of a DJ than a record collector till now. What's worse about it exactly?

How could you even tell if it was a repress or not though Dirka? ie if it was a fairly old repress itself, not like some brand new ish. Unless you had the knowledge of which label pressed it first or whatever... Which would seem likely as it's impossible to know for everything no?

A lot of times it will have slightly different cover art or say something retarded like LIMITED REPRESS! or 180 GRAM DELUXE LIMITED COLLECTORS EDITION! or ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED! bla bla bla. That's the easiest way--they basically brag about it being a repress and try and sell you on the concept. And often mark it up a little too.