Originals vs repress etc

d00ban

do you have a tentative release date for your thread Dopp? I'm gonna arrange some online promo, facebook event etc.

Well, using the DMC stickers as a metric I'd say.... never?

The source is almost certainly vinyl. The album was remastered and reissued in Japan on CD about 10 years ago (I want a copy of that CD!), but the album version of that track is different and isn't the one on that 7". I prefer the 7" version because once you've listened to that one a few times, the claps on the album version just don't sound right (they're weaker).

BTW, I have what is supposedly a 256 Kbps MP3 rip of the Japanese CD and it sounds like shit. It's supposedly a "24 bit/96 KHz remaster" which is a load of bollocks. The rip I have is full of crackles and sounds poor, so if what I have really is a rip of the CD then the CD could well just be a bullshit vinyl rip too.

Doob - I've got of those 'Originals' 7" bootlegs for Mulatu's "Yegelle Tezeta" and both the source audio and pressing are decent quality.

Like Steve said, it all depends on what's available to get the audio from in the first place - if it's come out on a decent CD reissue then that's usually the source, once you're into the realms of songs that only exist on surviving vinyl, you are of course at the mercy of the condition of the source copy.

Beyond that, there have just been a lot of bootlegs that are pressed badly on shit vinyl. Sometimes when it's just a really obvious boot with plain white labels and scratched out matrix numbers you kind of expect it, but when they look like someone's spent time on the issue (albeit unlicensed) it pisses me off that they couldn't get it pressed properly. Actually, some official vinyl reissues are just as badly pressed which is worse still IMO.

Guest Symatic

I got a white lable repress of a Coki tune which only ever came out on dubplate, so the whitelable was pressed from either a CD or possibly an internet downloaded mix. you can hear tht the intro is different, i think they had to chop the middle breakdown and use it as an intro cos it's similar. maybe they just chut and pasted the bits of the tune that wernet mixed into another tune and just reconstructed the tune out of that. either way it doesnt sound very good!

I quite like the idea of those originals presses

Yeah me too. I just like having stuff on 7" to be honest and there especially good when the tune is far too expensive for an original 45 or was originally an album cut.

There was one other series before those "Originals" that did the same thing - I can't remember what they were called, but I've definitely got one that has Beatnuts "Are You Ready" on one side and Doggett's "Honky Tonk" on the flip.

I think that would be particularly tedious for everyone :d.

I don't have a huge collection by any means when compared to serious diggers - about 2500ish, maybe 3000. I could easily have had 2-3 times that amount by now, but I regularly weed out the filler and try to just collect stuff I really like and will listen to rather than collecting for the sake of it or keeping stuff because eveyone else likes it.

What I will say though, is that I'm very pleased with what I have got - I've got a pretty good selection of most things I like on vinyl of some sort now. I guess like everyone's collection, it's totally tailored to my tastes and there's always more to find, but yeah I'm pretty happy with what I've got so far.