IDA UK 2010 Online Technical Battle

Vekked

would you say the low amount of entrants could be a reflection of the fact that the work to reward ratio of battling is probably worse than it used to be? ie winning battles doesn't give you the same opportunities gig-wise as maybe it did in the 90s? i could be way off the mark on that, its just how it comes across to me...

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would you say the low amount of entrants could be a reflection of the fact that the work to reward ratio of battling is probably worse than it used to be? ie winning battles doesn't give you the same opportunities gig-wise as maybe it did in the 90s? i could be way off the mark on that, its just how it comes across to me...

Unless you're world champ I don't think it gets you gigs anymore.

Guest loop skywalker

to be honest it deters people from booking you as they think all you are going to do all night is cut and juggle.....ive even been asked when taking a booking in the past "you aint gonna do all that scratching bollocks tho are ya?"

to be honest it deters people from booking you as they think all you are going to do all night is cut and juggle.....ive even been asked when taking a booking in the past "you aint gonna do all that scratching bollocks tho are ya?"

thats what i meant about cafe/arts center, people will actually appreciate what your doing as opposed to saying, let the record play you dick, have you got any 50 cent!

I'd say this is def a pretty big factor. Not only as far as getting gigs, but the work to reward factor is also worse in the sense that as skill levels increase it takes more and more time/effort to do anything new or push any boundaries. Like cutting is at such a high level now that it's not like you can just focus really hard for a year, or even 2, or 3, and become close to world class/bringing anything new to the table(s). A lot of DJs aren't willing to put in that effort because they're either lazy, or it just isn't feasible to do so when you can't pay the bills with battling.

Guest loop skywalker

one of the main reasons it really doesnt mean anything anymore,anyone can be a regional finalist at dmc now......i remember the first time i ever qualified for a regional final it was like winning a world title to me..it was big.Now you just turn up,and bam,you can call yourself a regional finalist that back in the 90s was quite prestigious.

Also no more awards....i liked the idea of earning a champs jacket,or belt...or anything you can hang on your wall....thats all gone...id rather have an award than a product im just gonna sell on.

in short...its all gone to pot

I gave it to Rasp, but only because of the Technical nature of his set - as per the name of the battle. Otherwise Jimmy would have got it for me.

What do you mean by 'the technical nature of his set' exactly? (Not meant to be read as "WHAT THE F DO YOU MEAN", just not sure if technical nature is referring to like actual techniques, difficulty, style or his routine, or what)

Also were there criteria or guidelines for the judges, or just pick a winner type deal?

There were no guidelines laid down as such - just that it was the technical section. I felt that Rasp's had more in terms of complex technique which I felt was the point of this category. I'm sure the other judges had a similar dilemma as I did as to who to put through, and to use a well worn cliché, it was so close - like changing my mind every time I watched the sets (certainly for me anyway). But in the end, I picked the DJ that I felt represented the technical section the best, both in this performance and others I've seen.

I do however hope that Jimmy adds battling to his repertoire, as a 6 minute set in a similar vein to this one would be a real asset to the scene.

i have to say one of the main reasons i entered is because there are guidelines for the judges to make there decisions.

http://proxfade.co.uk/

if you go to the read the rules section.

musicality, originality, skills, patterns, style. and within each of them there are a few main things to look out for,

Harmony of set, Creativity, Combos, Structure of set, Accuracy,

Excitement, Innovation, Scratches, Arrangement, Overall impression,

Composition, Juggles, Stage presence,

Difficulty, Souvereignity,

Technical ability, Composure

'The skills, style and originality are the main facts to be judged.'

@ giz

we're definetely entering the team dmc, and i'll probably throw some sort of a six minute set together for te dmc for the craic! i really enjoyed having 2 decks set up again! i really want to get a pair of tt500's though, because my vestax are wack, we've developed a love hate relationship. also, i need to stop using 7"s/45's in my routines!

I'm so sick of this shit. Ask 10 people which set they would listen to again and I reckon 9/10 non scratch djs would say jimmy's over rasp's(no offense). This should be the only judging criteria. Further more I didn't think that rasp's set was more technical that the penguins anyway (again no offense). Each to their own but I know what I like and I think that the less of the FAKE juggling skills (Not intended at rasp) and boring battle straight ahead scratch routines the better!

I'm so sick of this shit. Ask 10 people which set they would listen to again and I reckon 9/10 non scratch djs would say jimmy's over rasp's(no offense). This should be the only judging criteria. Further more I didn't think that rasp's set was more technical that the penguins anyway (again no offense). Each to their own but I know what I like and I think that the less of the FAKE juggling skills (Not intended at rasp) and boring battle straight ahead scratch routines the better!

THIS, though I love a good classic scratch routine

yeh but theres scratch routines.....and theres glen by G.O.D. what I mean is put some fucking feeling into it. Chirp flares with drum samples and boomerangs with an electricy sound is shite.

yeh but theres scratch routines.....and theres glen by G.O.D. what I mean is put some fucking feeling into it. Chirp flares with drum samples and boomerangs with an electricy sound is shite.

Bahahaha