IDA UK 2010 Online Technical Battle

Vekked

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest loop skywalker

I really like the set Jimmy................its not a battle set.......but its much better than a battle set! Id prefer to go to a show ...like you lot do with community scratch,and listen/watch music being made using skills that you have any day....this is much more creative,props to you sir !

What battlers and non-battlers think should win are 2 entirely different things. I find myself wanting to watch Jimmy Penguin get all musical and GOD smash it fast Electro style rather than most battle sets these days.

The one thing I loved about the Le Jad/Euro style was that it brought a complete composition to the table - something that flowed from beginning to end with no breaks. I was there for Netik winning DMC and was absolutely knocked out by it. But it seems that the DJ element has since been lost. What is stopping a battler from doing a similar set i.e. flowing from track to track - almost like a 6 minute mixtape - but with stuff that people know? Look at Shiftee's 30 track

I'd rather battlers thought about the whole piece as a composition, rather than a handful of routines awkwardly glued together with baby scratch fades or backspins. That's when people will start to take notice of the scene again - because they will understand it and appreciate the skills.

The one thing I loved about the Le Jad/Euro style was that it brought a complete composition to the table - something that flowed from beginning to end with no breaks. I was there for Netik winning DMC and was absolutely knocked out by it. But it seems that the DJ element has since been lost. What is stopping a battler from doing a similar set i.e. flowing from track to track - almost like a 6 minute mixtape - but with stuff that people know? Look at Shiftee's 30 track

I'd rather battlers thought about the whole piece as a composition, rather than a handful of routines awkwardly glued together with baby scratch fades or backspins. That's when people will start to take notice of the scene again - because they will understand it and appreciate the skills.

I don't entirely agree with this.

I think the answer to what's stopping a battler from doing a 6 minute that flows like that is it's just really difficult. It's clearly a million times easier to make a set flow from track to track when it's all beatmatched. Like it's not like a DJ can just snap make a 6 minute routine that is flows/is a good routine. This is the entire goal! It's not about people changing their styles, or composing better or anything. This is all entirely secondary to DJs just coming with good material/skills. Nearly all good/great/the best 6 minute routine DO sound like 6 minute mixtapes.

The ONLY reason why battling and routines have been wack is that the DJs have been wack (for various reasons). Like look at the quality of the average battler from basically any year compared to 1999-2001. If you can man a sick routine with baby scratch fades and backspins that sounds good, it's gonna be dope, end of.

your not aloud to talk about 2006. my worst routine ever. It wasnt polished, I had never played/tested it out in a club or heat and I didnt perform well that night. I made better routines in 1998. I was trying not to repeat myself every year but ended up missing the point. you shouldnt forget all your old skills and style but apply them in a different way.

Guest loop skywalker

gizmo...i got a 10 dollar beatport voucher and some branston pickle crinkle baked mini cheddars if you put in first place haha

seriously tho...i think jimmy has this in the bag....loved that set ...ive watched it about 20 times and still sounds as fresh as the first play,this is totally what dj competitions should be about.

ps...jimmy check ya private message...i have some info for ya xx

Pretty absurd, is that all the UK has these days? Not fronting on the sets since Jimmy/Loop/Rasp were all decent, but where are like Jon and Switch and some of those other guys who I thought still battled/have a decent amount of routines finished that they used this year already. Actually think there's a decent chance Jimmy scoops this if there's not juggling requirement, he clearly has the illest cuts and his first routine was the best overall.

Same reason as j1m and my focus has been on uni and my nights recently. I'm trying to get a good six minute routine together but don't have enough non serato routines to do the ida battle

I'm gonna guess that Penguin doesn't have enough routines either (could be wrong) ;).

I didn't enter cos 4 weeks notice for potentially going to Poland counts me out

I'm sure there'd be a few others in the same boat

Enter/win/forfeit :p.

Nah man I think if someones going to Poland there shouldn't be any controversy.

Last year I entered to make the numbers up but didn't ask anyone to vote for me, I wouldn't have been able to make it to Poland so I figured that was a good way to enter but not have to drop out. Problem is when the results showed I only got 1% of the votes people thought something dodgy was going on!

I know it's being judged properly this year but even so I figured it was best not to enter if I couldn't commit. I'd also worry that I might get through at the expense of someone who would better represent as I don't have many routines - I basically have time to do DMC and nothing else so that's all I've got...

Guest loop skywalker

At Johnny...i have been unbelievably lucky to have been part of a great team that have managed to be at both the iDa and dmc world finals.I know last years IDA was a bit of a fiasco but i think Mike does a sterling job and the treatment you get at the IDA is second to none.With the dmc meaning less and less to the general heads i would maybe do it the other way around...practise for the IDA and enter the dmc for fun>

The world finals treatment you get at IDA includes getting picked up by a wicked Hummer from the airport<great hospitalality from all the ida staff ,drinks vouchers a plenty...it really is a whole different story,they really do care about their performers....its a whole different world and to be honest a much more enjoyable competition.

Just my observations...i know where i would rather be

At Johnny...i have been unbelievably lucky to have been part of a great team that have managed to be at both the iDa and dmc world finals.I know last years IDA was a bit of a fiasco but i think Mike does a sterling job and the treatment you get at the IDA is second to none.With the dmc meaning less and less to the general heads i would maybe do it the other way around...practise for the IDA and enter the dmc for fun>

The world finals treatment you get at IDA includes getting picked up by a wicked Hummer from the airport<great hospitalality from all the ida staff ,drinks vouchers a plenty...it really is a whole different story,they really do care about their performers....its a whole different world and to be honest a much more enjoyable competition.

Just my observations...i know where i would rather be

Until IDA start doing live regional heats it's all about DMC for me.

I started entering again because I heard the Liverpool heat was really shabby one year and the promoter said it wasn't really worth doing again.

I've since felt obliged to enter, to the point where I've knocked everything else on the head and basically made the local DMC heat the focus of my hobby. I have just about enough spare time to get 6 minutes together each year (well... since discovering customs!), and I've met a few people who I regularly cut with that I wouldn't have otherwise and that's far more important to me than a ride in a hummer ;-)

Guest loop skywalker

Nope...its all about the hummer hahaha.

Fair point tho Johnny....its so difficult to get to do stuff live these days unless you are willing to put on your own nights i guess.

I was just pointing out that IDA do actually care about the djs that perform in their competition therefore a more desirable one to enter in my eyes.