IDA UK 2010 Online Technical Battle

Vekked

I don't know that i'd agree with needing people who are battling not to win...it kind of defeats the purpose.

Surely its more a case of people doing their own thing and being original whilst trying to win...

I didn't say needing people who are battling not to win, I said JUST to win. What I mean is like people doing only what they think the judges want instead of taking a risk and doing something that maybe the judges didn't know they wanted until it was done. I've heard a few well known/respected north american battle DJs who have said something to the extent of "if I make another routine/the next routine I make it going to be that electro style stuff cuz that's what the judges are looking for". It puts a bad taste in my mouth, but maybe it's just me.

For a specific example (I'm not 100% sure of this because I've never seen the 2008 U.S. finals) but I heard that in Slyce's 2008 world routine:

his intro routine was originally:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpHzMN6EzXg

but he changed stuff in favour of a more electronic sound to do well at the world's. Maybe there were other reasons (his made you look routine has been on youtube for a while now) but just the idea of people doing this, especially ones respected and know for having their own style, upsets me a bit.

Glad other people thought that about Slyce's routine. It seemed that he was trying to check all the boxes and doing stuff so he could get the marks. His interview on the dmc dvd seemed that way too. He came across as mad arrogant because it seems like he thought he did the perfect routine combining all the things judges were looking for. He's def a great battler though

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the reason asian hawk got flamed online was that he lacked tech in 06, but already at that time other crews (thinking of c2c) had already made a big name for themselves with sets which owed more to planning than to execution. i saw asian's sets last year, and his tech had caught up with his arrangement, and i really enjoyed what he was doing.

rasp is the original gentleman dj, he has put pure time into his practising, learnt the technical combos backwards, spent something like 11 years living for battling, and as a result his routines are both well arranged and technically demanding. i'm not sure how the IDA criteria compare to the old itf criteria, but ITF seemed to give higher scores for an bigger array of technical elements, and this line of thinking stands out in rasps set. i really enjoyed all four of the sets, especially rasps and the penguins, dope shit...

...so I only just got round to checking out these videos...

Jimmy's cuts are sick - from a musical standpoint it was dope, it just lacked that little bit of energy that's normally associated with battle sets. Guy's got mad skills though! Rasp's routine seemed more well-rounded if that makes sense...he's good at programming/arranging his routines.

Saying that, I no longer battle... so what do I know? lol

Atom, Jimmy, Jon - would be good to cut with you lot sometime...Holla.

...so I only just got round to checking out these videos...

Jimmy's cuts are sick - from a musical standpoint it was dope, it just lacked that little bit of energy that's normally associated with battle sets. Guy's got mad skills though! Rasp's routine seemed more well-rounded if that makes sense...he's good at programming/arranging his routines.

Saying that, I no longer battle... so what do I know? lol

Atom, Jimmy, Jon - would be good to cut with you lot sometime...Holla.

I'm always game for a cut man, give me a shout next time you play in the midlands. Hope all is well