IDA UK 2010 Online Technical Battle

Vekked

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest loop skywalker

yeah...go out and check ya tyres on ya bike...me and rasp are gonna make your life a living hell unless you meet our demands

i want a helicopter ,some pink guinness and a bag of cow flavoured pork scratchings

Guest loop skywalker

Rasp is a great bloke...for a wrongun...hes always leading me and my mates astray.

i cant see nothing on dj forums...but im loopskywalker on there..not the other name

Yea, Asian Hawk was pretty lame.

Your entitled to your opinion mate, but let's not forget alot of people find Hawk's sets entertaining. They may not have been the most technical but in terms of composition and listenablility they are dope.

I think it's important to remember that before dismissing someone's whole steez as "pretty lame"....

Respect to all those who entered. At least 4 people in the UK could be arsed. Well done you....

No diss to Rasp, but I think Jimmy smacked that by a mile. Nice cuts and a nice sound. Peace.

Was Jimmy using a track off the second herbaliser album for the intro beat skip routine?

Respect to all those who entered. At least 4 people in the UK could be arsed. Well done you....

No diss to Rasp, but I think Jimmy smacked that by a mile. Nice cuts and a nice sound. Peace.

Was Jimmy using a track off the second herbaliser album for the intro beat skip routine?

the tracks are, part 1 beat from 'the last creep' + violins from Rossz Csillag Alatt Született by venetian snares.

part 2 is a 7" from the irish label alphabet set, the artist is cignol and the the tracks is tumnal! the outro vocal is from souls of mischief no mans land!

Your entitled to your opinion mate, but let's not forget alot of people find Hawk's sets entertaining. They may not have been the most technical but in terms of composition and listenablility they are dope.

I think it's important to remember that before dismissing someone's whole steez as "pretty lame"....

Wasn't talking about his whole steez. I'm sure he makes, or at least could make, some dope stuff. But his routine had some of the first super mapped out stuff/stuff that has A LOT to do with what's pressed and not what's being done. Sure it sounds fine and people might find it entertaining but as a battle routine it wasn't good.

EDIT: Maybe being a bit harsh, cuz I still give him all the respect for doing his thing and entering with his own type of routine, I'm just looking at it from a "battle" perspective, which I think is how one should look at a battle routine.

Wasn't talking about his whole steez. I'm sure he makes, or at least could make, some dope stuff. But his routine had some of the first super mapped out stuff/stuff that has A LOT to do with what's pressed and not what's being done. Sure it sounds fine and people might find it entertaining but as a battle routine it wasn't good.

EDIT: Maybe being a bit harsh, cuz I still give him all the respect for doing his thing and entering with his own type of routine, I'm just looking at it from a "battle" perspective, which I think is how one should look at a battle routine.

To be honest mate I agree with alot of what you just said. I respect your opinion and I think you expressed your points well.

Just to get this off my chest and to set the record straight because alot of people dissed both him and our crew around that time.........

When he did that routine in 2006 he was the only competitor in the UK (i'm pretty sure?) to press his own wax. Now whilst it may have meant it was a bit pre-mapped/just sample triggery, this was before that whole concept became massively played out, so in that respect he was very forward thinking.

To take that 2006 routine in context, whilst it wasn't technically impressive, in 2005 and 2006 in the UK a lot of routines were using Craze,Klever or A trak battle records, and were for the most part fucking horrible to listen to (with a few exceptions). Hawk's routine was a direct reaction to those bad sounding/boring routines.

I was at the final in 2006 and Hawk's routine stood out because it was different, which in my mind is one of the things that makes a champion. Also to all the people who cried on the internet about it at the time, it's worth remembering that c2c and other perfectly capable people were judging that night, so there was nothing dodgy about the win in my eyes.

The fact that the routine wasn't at all technical and he got murdered by the likes of Netik and Rafik at the worlds is another story :rolleyes:

Jesus what a rant.... apologies!!!

To be honest mate I agree with alot of what you just said. I respect your opinion and I think you expressed your points well.

Just to get this off my chest and to set the record straight because alot of people dissed both him and our crew around that time.........

When he did that routine in 2006 he was the only competitor in the UK (i'm pretty sure?) to press his own wax. Now whilst it may have meant it was a bit pre-mapped/just sample triggery, this was before that whole concept became massively played out, so in that respect he was very forward thinking.

To take that 2006 routine in context, whilst it wasn't technically impressive, in 2005 and 2006 in the UK a lot of routines were using Craze,Klever or A trak battle records, and were for the most part fucking horrible to listen to (with a few exceptions). Hawk's routine was a direct reaction to those bad sounding/boring routines.

I was at the final in 2006 and Hawk's routine stood out because it was different, which in my mind is one of the things that makes a champion. Also to all the people who cried on the internet about it at the time, it's worth remembering that c2c and other perfectly capable people were judging that night, so there was nothing dodgy about the win in my eyes.

The fact that the routine wasn't at all technical and he got murdered by the likes of Netik and Rafik at the worlds is another story :rolleyes:

Word, wasn't meaning to just flame him, I just didn't care to explain cuz i kinda forgot it wasn't like I was giving my opinion on 50 Cent, this opinion might actually get back to him :p.

Fwiw at least muzzell, silk kuts, and I *think* rasp also used customs in 2006 UK finals. That year was def plagued by I-Emerge audiocide, even people were re-pressing the sounds on customs (a;ofhaghagh;ghsgjha). Like silk kuts had a pretty solid routine as far as his cuts and juggling but it was almost the definition of picking music that would make people overlook your stuff as opposed to highlight it. Hawk took nearly the opposite approach. It's obvious why someone might choose him ahead of those other routines because of that.

He definitely tried something different, and regardless of how well someone may or may not think it was done, I think that's one of the things that makes battling and turntablism interesting, and is definitely one of the qualities of a champion. It's something that we need in battling right now. We need people who aren't battling JUST to win, but are also taking risks and trying something new. It's not like there isn't new stuff that can be done, people just aren't trying it because they're afraid that it won't make them win.

I don't know that i'd agree with needing people who are battling not to win...it kind of defeats the purpose.

Surely its more a case of people doing their own thing and being original whilst trying to win...

I didn't say needing people who are battling not to win, I said JUST to win. What I mean is like people doing only what they think the judges want instead of taking a risk and doing something that maybe the judges didn't know they wanted until it was done. I've heard a few well known/respected north american battle DJs who have said something to the extent of "if I make another routine/the next routine I make it going to be that electro style stuff cuz that's what the judges are looking for". It puts a bad taste in my mouth, but maybe it's just me.

For a specific example (I'm not 100% sure of this because I've never seen the 2008 U.S. finals) but I heard that in Slyce's 2008 world routine:

his intro routine was originally:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpHzMN6EzXg

but he changed stuff in favour of a more electronic sound to do well at the world's. Maybe there were other reasons (his made you look routine has been on youtube for a while now) but just the idea of people doing this, especially ones respected and know for having their own style, upsets me a bit.