WTK WORLDWIDE SCRATCH BATTLE 2010

muzzell

Just one question:

People who entered with a freestyle right now, if you would have read a rule like "make a routine, not a freestyle, a freestyle will eliminate you from the competition/battle", would you have make a freestyle? would you complain about the definition of what is a routine, what is not a routine, whhat is a freestyle that can be considered as a routine???

I'm sure if the rule was written like that, many guys wouldn't have make a video, and many others would have done a routine and effort to "look like" a routine.

if the rules stated that "make a routine, not a freestyle, a freestyle will eliminate you from the competition/battle" I would not have entered at all cos i don't do routines, thats why I entered this battle cos as we all seemed to have thought it's was a pretty open battle/comp, and as I said before that opens the battle up to people who don't do the normal type of rouitnes, or routines at all.

my video should have been eliminated as soon as i sent it in if i was breaking the 'rules'.

anyway fuck this bullshit, i'm done with this.

good luck to whoever got through to the 'final' list.

If I say all what I say it's because I feel very embarassed for all the guys whho entered. But also because I feel that the jury will be responsible of everything. I'm responsible of my votes, I assume regarding to the rules that were explained to us, but not all the weird/stupid changing rules etc. I just hope people understand.

Peace.

That whole video a freestyle? I thought a freestyle is what they do on the NozL skratchcasts but a routine is where you juggle and mess around with diferent beats/breaks/samples like in the DMCs (of old).

How are people able to differentiate between a freestyle and a routine? Just because some one is cutting up the ahh sample does not automatically put it in the freestyle category. Because if they practice the exact scratch patterns and do the same scratch pattern over the ahhh sample it would be considered a routine would it not? And by saying unkut's video was a freestyle their is definitely no way of telling of differentiating between the two.

All I am saying is this rule will never work, and will only lead people to believe that the judges are biased.

Why not just have the rules be, the best submission wins where they are judged in different categories with points.

No respect to Le Jad or the people running the WTK 2010 battle, it's just an opinion.

And by saying unkut's video was a freestyle their is definitely no way of telling of differentiating between the two.

HAHA, did you take it seriously??? can't believe...

All the guys who sent a freestyle video know what they did, they did a freestyle. Stop trying to say a freestyle with the exact same patterns would be a routine. Everybody knows when they enter a battle that a freestyle with a ahhh or cut like a guillotine will be a freestyle. Even if they can repeat the same orbits flares in the same order...

If you see their video on youtube in another context, you'll say : "ho this is a freestyle". NOBODY would say it's a routine. So... HUH!

The only point was about how clear was the rule.

Everybody knows when they enter a battle that a freestyle with a ahhh or cut like a guillotine will be a freestyle.

I don't know that, I quite often work out what I would call "scratch routines" that are just scratches with aahhh.

I'd assume the words "routine" and "freestyle" normally relate to how planned something is, but through my very limited french I gather on b4b they have slightly different meanings, maybe to do with how many samples are used but I'm not sure...

Liek you say - it wasn't clear in the rules hence the kerfuffle

And by saying unkut's video was a freestyle their is definitely no way of telling of differentiating between the two.

All the guys who sent a freestyle video know what they did, they did a freestyle. Stop trying to say a freestyle with the exact same patterns would be a routine. Everybody knows when they enter a battle that a freestyle with a ahhh or cut like a guillotine will be a freestyle. Even if they can repeat the same orbits flares in the same order...

My routine used aahs and a looped section from a scratch record. The whole thing was rehearsed and I'd planned each cut and was trying to show my diversity of scratches as well as my 'funk'.

'Stop trying to say a freestyle with the exact same patterns would be a routine.'

Sorry man, but that's bullshit, the only difference between what I did and what some of the guys who made the final did was that they used different sounds of newer scratch records (a lot of them being your records) and I arguably did it better than some of the ones who placed. I'm not saying I'm the standard to be in the top 20 or whatever but technically a lot of the videos not in the top 20 deserve to be in there way more. The fact that you guys almost didn't include Muzzell in the top 10 because he wasn't scratching melodies or using phrases of scratch sentences is ridiculous. He murdered everyone. end of

this whole thread just proves why battling has died and continues to be a joke in recent years.

i dont kno why i keep reading. i agree with jon tho

J1M gave me some really good advice recently- 'just enter for yourself', that way you don't get caught up in all the shit decision making and people following trends that only increasingly pigeonhole this subgenre of hiphop. I thought biting was frowned upon in hiphop culture? Seems the dj battle scene has let that slip by over recent years. Anyone who does anything remotetly different instantly gets copied badly the following year.

this whole thread just proves why battling has died and continues to be a joke in recent years.

J1M gave me some really good advice recently- 'just enter for yourself',

thats generally my rule with life or music....or girls

The right thing WTK should have done is as soon as this kafuffle happened was to rejudge all of the files based on their scratching (like the name WTK skratch battle infers), not how they're 'routines' or not. Sadly it's way too late to do that now.

J1M gave me some really good advice recently- 'just enter for yourself',

thats generally my rule with life or music....or girls

ZIIIIING! Yeah, I'd like to think I live by that rule too.

EDIT- wait i've just realised what I've said- I mean I think I live by that rule minus the girls bit! oh dear.... that's not done my str8 manho status any good has it? :p

• Like 1

Jon,

You say we almost didn't keep Muzzel in the top? I was the first to say he had to be in... AND, many videos were not in the top 30 anymore when I was asked to judge (but I said it already).

Yes many people used my records... we eliminated many DJs that were using them, and they're back in the top 23 now. It's not a question of trend.

Seems the dj battle scene has let that slip by over recent years. Anyone who does anything remotetly different instantly gets copied badly the following year.

What a big news... it's amazing to discover it now.

Jon,

You say we almost didn't keep Muzzel in the top? I was the first to say he had to be in... AND, many videos were not in the top 30 anymore when I was asked to judge (but I said it already).

Yes many people used my records... we eliminated many DJs that were using them, and they're back in the top 23 now. It's not a question of trend.

Seems the dj battle scene has let that slip by over recent years. Anyone who does anything remotetly different instantly gets copied badly the following year.

Sorry dude i misquoted:

many people complained about Muzzel video on other boards, because the sound quality is bad, so they say it's unfair and he's too repetitive, etc.

I had it in my head that this was the judges' opinion, I should have checked first. Apologies!

True, but it still shouldn't be so accepted as ok. I have to put my hand up and admit I was guilty here as my entry was largely aah's etc but I'd like to think my cuts sound like me rather than other djs?

Sorry if I came across as rude, it's just that I'm very passionate about music and feel like in this instance a lot of people like Mr Brown are not being credited

Jon,

Sorry dude i misquoted:

many people complained about Muzzel video on other boards, because the sound quality is bad, so they say it's unfair and he's too repetitive, etc.

I had it in my head that this was the judges' opinion, I should have checked first. Apologies!

True, but it still shouldn't be so accepted as ok. I have to put my hand up and admit I was guilty here as my entry was largely aah's etc but I'd like to think my cuts sound like me rather than other djs?

Sorry if I came across as rude, it's just that I'm very passionate about music and feel like in this instance a lot of people like Mr Brown are not being credited

Since I was eliminated for breaching the "rules" I've had muzzell remove my video (it was on his account) as I want nothing more to do with this farce.

thanks to all who gave props, best wishes to whoever wins and well done to everyone who entered.

the rest of you nerds can go suck one.

To be fair the people with "dope" routines (gimmics) and no real style will fade from memory quickly where as the guys with real skill who can kill a freestyle will be known to the real heads.

I feel a bit stupid for even arguing about this sort of thing, I should have realised from the start this is how the "battle" would unfold.

I mean this with the least amount of disrespect, but Le Jad, to my knowledge your some sort of dubstep or drum and bass producer or something, do you know how to scratch? I mean surely that is a pre requisite to judging a "scratching" competition.

Peace.

Edited by P-Nuts