WTK WORLDWIDE SCRATCH BATTLE 2010

muzzell

because other videos had better scratching. I wont list them all but there was a number of better vid's.

but...

I just read that they were looking for a ""routine"". so i understand why a freestyle vid has not made it.

I thought I was going to get beaten by some of the videos that didn't make it to the final list. Thats why I'm a little shocked.

but happy

Yes, there's some much better technical freestyles videos, much cleaner than in the list. You're right and all the jury who decided of the 14 of this list agree on that point. But as you said, there was a rule : make a routine.

Kurteek is in the 14, he's like the defender, LigOne did not defend. But it's not corresponding to the rules...lol, but he's defending!!!!!!

For Mr Brown, Fluins and Mr Dust, we hesitated too... but is it routines or not? the limit is very difficult to find. Some of the other guys said Muzzel didn't make a routine, but for me, it's like a sort of scratch routine that we can see in a battle + you use your mixer (faders) + you have a battle attitude in your video. That's the differences with other freestyles that were closed to the limit.

We also hesitated with many routines, but really, some are routines, but dirty, or not technical at all. At the very end, we said : if this guy is in the top, he's better than this other guy that tried this kind of routine, so we keep only the one who did the best... in our opinion of course. Mike L made something dirty, but he really had banging samples for the beat he used, it was a real routine, not techhnical as many freestyles, but it's one of the most "routine" video of the battle. D beam didn't make a crazy dope routine, but he made the effort to respect the rules + he has dope scratch skills... that's examples. Many people will disagree with the choices.

If we keep a guy, another we'll say he was at the same level, etc. There was a first selection of 50 guys, then 40, then 35... at the end 20. But with 20 there was too much similar styles, why should we keep in the list 2 similar styles when 1 guy is better in the opinion of all the jury?

Sorry to have been so long (+ my english is still average) but it took days to make this list and it was very hard to decide because we like many other vids. I think that for the top 3, or top 5, there's no doubt, so the winner will be a guy who respected the rules (except if Kurteek wins) and can we ask people to decide between 150 vids? of course not. 50 would have been really too much. 30 was too much. 20 was the good deal, but in the 20 there was guys better than others on the same style.

I won't disagree if people say that the list isn't perfect. Another jury would have made different choices, but for sure, not for the 3 or 5 best guys. (where are girls???)

I just read that they were looking for a ""routine"". so i understand why a freestyle vid has not made it.

Likewise

Guess that explains why LigOne won last year... I'm not saying that he wasn't tight but he was repeating the same scratch pattern A LOT and many of the entries were technically much better in my opinion.

Likewise

Guess that explains why LigOne won last year... I'm not saying that he wasn't tight but he was repeating the same scratch pattern A LOT and many of the entries were technically much better in my opinion.

I was really hoping that this comp would not be that style of copycating cuts one after the other with some bullshit synth sample crabbed in between! but it is!

In my opinion that list was a joke! I score it 1. Kurteek ...he has the most developed and fluent and creative style regardless of a routine or not 2. Muzzell for the same reasons the fluency in his cuts puts him way above the rest 3. Jimmy Penguin, his set like everything he does was super musical and a had a proper vibe to it...real creative stuff why he wasn't in the list I'll never know.

This is a routine battle, not a freestyle battle, if this list is a joke man, this is maybe because the routine level is really lower than the freestyle level, no?

People who organise and judge are not responsible of the creativity and style that people use the most.

You have an opinion, but i will take again an example, many people complained about Muzzel video on other boards, because the sound quality is bad, so they say it's unfair and he's too repetitive, etc.

This is a routine battle, not a freestyle battle, if this list is a joke man, this is maybe because the routine level is really lower than the freestyle level, no?

People who organise and judge are not responsible of the creativity and style that people use the most.

You have an opinion, but i will take again an example, many people complained about Muzzel video on other boards, because the sound quality is bad, so they say it's unfair and he's too repetitive, etc.

Oh for sure! I mean a joke to me!! I understand that other people have different tastes and opinions on creativity! Its all good. I have bored people at length on my opinion of the battle scene these days so I'm not going to go into it again but suffice to say I thought the people picked sound very similar in style and thats not my style!

Hello one and all,

just registered and this my first post!

Shout out to Mister Ed and Loop !-its been a while since i've seen you guys. hows things?

To be honest, I didnt know that there was a strictly no freestyle rule either, and like Muzzell, I was impressed by the technical standard of some of the more freestyle entries. Me and Sinical both thought that the Fakser guy from Italy had some really sick technical patterns.I really liked Mr Brown's too, really soulful.

All the best to those still in the battle, and everyone who contributed dope videos too.

OK,

And about Jimmy Penguin, this is a video I like, maybe not for the top 14, but I remember that I had different feelings about it : original, flow, but not that much "finished". So it's not because a few people decided who was in this top that they didn't hesitate on other videos and I had pleasure to watch this one. I will remember it more than some of the top 14.

For this top I don't think all sounds similar, Claim, EbKaito... they don't sound like Getback.

OK,

And about Jimmy Penguin, this is a video I like, maybe not for the top 14, but I remember that I had different feelings about it : original, flow, but not that much "finished". So it's not because a few people decided who was in this top that they didn't hesitate on other videos and I had pleasure to watch this one. I will remember it more than some of the top 14.

For this top I don't think all sounds similar, Claim, EbKaito... they don't sound like Getback.

No not all of them but, there are some in there and i don't want to get into names because the standard is really high and I don't want to take away anything from them. Mike L (who I have always respected as a battle dj - welcome to the board man!!) I thought had a really strong set creative and somewhat instinctual rather than this battle format that a lot of dj's do. To see Mike L in there i think why not Jimmy Penguin both had less 'technically' precise sets (maybe although I'm not so sure) but both I will remember and go back to than the others!

Like I say its just an opinion!

just so you know Jad mine is a routine. I made it in about 3 days. did the same scratch patterns over and over and that was the best take on the day. I can do that routine a lot cleaner but had to give the cammera back to Clix so he could record his routine. blah blah

Hi,

I feel weird and shity. The organizer changed the rules because of the pressure of many DJs who were not on the list. So there's 23 guys now. LOL. I don't have anything to see with this stupid changing rules. A decision must be solid and not changed by pressure around a jury. But that's cool for a few people who complained and cried about not being in the TOP.

Guest loop skywalker

Wow...there will always be stuff said about battle judging..its all part of the different tastes.To be fair i think there was well over 180 entries and to whittle that down to 14 is a big big job that i wouldnt have liked to decide.

Big props to whoever is putting this battle on..im annoyed i was stuck in america and didnt get time to send in a routine myself...but glad i didnt now as the talent level was very high.

Big up to mike L,i was really shocked to see an entry from him but glad as its been a long time ( i remember your first dmc in manchester like it was yesterday mate..that was a huge day for us both haha)

Good to see people putting on battles and keeping it alive whatever the outcome.

I do like getbacks set...but im looking forward to muzzell winning.

I have yet to see the other entries though and i do like shub....hes a bad ass dj.

Yes, there's some much better technical freestyles videos, much cleaner than in the list. You're right and all the jury who decided of the 14 of this list agree on that point. But as you said, there was a rule : make a routine.

Kurteek is in the 14, he's like the defender, LigOne did not defend. But it's not corresponding to the rules...lol, but he's defending!!!!!!

For Mr Brown, Fluins and Mr Dust, we hesitated too... but is it routines or not? the limit is very difficult to find. Some of the other guys said Muzzel didn't make a routine, but for me, it's like a sort of scratch routine that we can see in a battle + you use your mixer (faders) + you have a battle attitude in your video. That's the differences with other freestyles that were closed to the limit.

We also hesitated with many routines, but really, some are routines, but dirty, or not technical at all. At the very end, we said : if this guy is in the top, he's better than this other guy that tried this kind of routine, so we keep only the one who did the best... in our opinion of course. Mike L made something dirty, but he really had banging samples for the beat he used, it was a real routine, not techhnical as many freestyles, but it's one of the most "routine" video of the battle. D beam didn't make a crazy dope routine, but he made the effort to respect the rules + he has dope scratch skills... that's examples. Many people will disagree with the choices.

If we keep a guy, another we'll say he was at the same level, etc. There was a first selection of 50 guys, then 40, then 35... at the end 20. But with 20 there was too much similar styles, why should we keep in the list 2 similar styles when 1 guy is better in the opinion of all the jury?

Sorry to have been so long (+ my english is still average) but it took days to make this list and it was very hard to decide because we like many other vids. I think that for the top 3, or top 5, there's no doubt, so the winner will be a guy who respected the rules (except if Kurteek wins) and can we ask people to decide between 150 vids? of course not. 50 would have been really too much. 30 was too much. 20 was the good deal, but in the 20 there was guys better than others on the same style.

I won't disagree if people say that the list isn't perfect. Another jury would have made different choices, but for sure, not for the 3 or 5 best guys. (where are girls???)

Hmm I understand what you are saying, and in no way am I saying my video should be in the last 14, because I dont think it should. But I think its ridiculous to put people through on the fact they used more samples when there are people whose videos obviously showed more skills. Its so much more difficult to rip the plain ahhh sample for 1 min 30 than putting a few pre arranged sounds on an mp3 and scratching that, nevermind the fact it shows much more musicality, we are turntablists not producers are we not?

I really feel that the whole pre produced routine thing is really ruining turntablism, the feeling of someone taking something that was meant to be something completely different and flipping it on its head is all but lost nowadays.... This is why I really like the B4B stuff, it shows real skills and musicality not a pre produced gimmic.

Anyways il be at the DMC's this year with my REAL hip hop and funk records even though I will likely lose to someone with customs, skilled or not. A wise man once told me, its not about winning or losing, its about representing what you believe in.

Sorry for the rant, this is probably a terrible way to get started on a forum, but this is something I am really passionate about.

PS.

Im not hating on all the DJ's that use customs, some of them do have real skills and could rip regular vinyl a hell of a lot harder than me. It just not my steez.

Edited by P-Nuts

P-Nuts,

People don't have to pre-produce anything to make a routine for WTK, they can dig records and cutlines, they can change records in the middle of their routines and use stickers, there's no rule against that. They can use real vinyls...

Some people used vinyls, the jury and the battle itself isn't the godfatcher of creativity, it must come from turntablists. We can't invent turntablists...

Some people used vinyls, the jury and the battle itself isn't the godfatcher of creativity, it must come from turntablists. We can't invent turntablists...

Word ! we must use our own way ... Some dj's like me don't know the time who dj's use to make routines strictly with vinyls... The creativity isn't stop by technology... But with dvs you can make something different . For me it's very difficult to create patterns for my serato but i think it's a good job for the next days !!!!!

P-Nuts,

People don't have to pre-produce anything to make a routine for WTK, they can dig records and cutlines, they can change records in the middle of their routines and use stickers, there's no rule against that. They can use real vinyls...

Hmm well maybe my last post wasnt to well constructed. What I mean is I dont think that in a battle using different samples should be something that scores you more points, if you use a variety of samples WELL then sure thats dope and you should get merit, but if someone has done something even doper using just ahh or fresh I dont think that should be looked down on because it is one sound only.

Peace.