reverse patterns...

pedostyle

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

but i assume those different length gaps can be figured out if u give them the middle point and timing

One dot used to represent closing a fader cannot tell people how long they have to close the fader for. A dot could be interpreted as any length as you are only showing the mid point: -

notation.jpg

The angle of the line that dot is on represents the record movement only so that has no bearing on timing of the fader at all. How do you know which of the arrows is correct, the shorter or longer one? You can't possibly know and you'd have to guess.

I was putting my points forward to try and make notation better mate, not to win an argument with you or Chile. From my point of view, you should be able to give the same notation to 10 different scratch DJs and they all come back to you with an identical file - or close enough anyway. I just don't think the current system enables that, but if it works for you then that's cool.

Are you from Australia BTW?

Yeah man, notation should have ground base. Somthing everyone can read and understand with all variables considered.. A Hard task when both aspects are tottaly analog and then converting them to a single digital, 2d, flat drawing in MS Paint..

Yep - Sydney...

Yeah man, notation should have ground base.  Somthing everyone can read and understand with all variables considered..  A Hard task when both aspects are tottaly analog and then converting them to a single digital, 2d, flat drawing in MS Paint..

Yep - Sydney...

what's the fucking matter with using the gaps like we mentioned earlier and like described in the TTM spec, give me one pattern or technique you can't represent prescisely with them!

what's the fucking matter with using the gaps like we mentioned earlier and like described in the TTM spec, give me one pattern or technique you can't represent prescisely with them!

Chill bro

I can apply the TTM spec to my system no problem - there almost the same anyway. Im just not understanding why my drawing couldnt be interpreted back across to the TTM spec. It wasnt meant to be the new set standard of cataloging scratchs, i was actualy trying to show the more technical scratchs like the twiddle-1click / crab-tranform / and how they can always be back related to the simplest scratchs in regard to fader/record timing.

Instead we got pulled up one scratch number 1 on how its not an acurate representation of the scratch - it wasnt - and i know that, but in regards to fader timing and relationship - it was - and thats all i was trying to do.

As far as im concerned, scratching is about timing, not about how much gap is between each bit of the scratch... Look at it how u want...

As far as im concerned, scratching is about timing, not about how much gap is between each bit of the scratch...

Thats timing.. to be honest though, i use dots because they are easier to see then spaces in a line, especially for crabs and cuts with plenty of clicks. The Rob swift routine notation has a combination of dots and lines depending on the period the fader is closed for.. works well at representing the timing. Im too lazy to try to notate techs which have different delays in clicks.. for the purpose of learning a single scratch pattern, why not just have dots and then you yourself can work out the timing of clicks to give it your own sound.. the diagram still works as a visual aid as you are learning the pattern, then once you have it down experiament with the click timing.

Word to the pepper! I've never had a problem with your diagrams, they've always made perfect sense and illustrated the point they try to get across, they display the exact technique rather than the exact execution of the technique (i.e. size of the gaps), they serve their purpose perfectly, but if anyone needs to notate the time the fader is close for, use gaps.....it fucking simple people.

Bring on page 7!

cheers man, was begining to think i was the only person that could read the notation.

Not at all, your stuff makes perfect sense and illustrates the point perfectly, it's just they don't discribe every niggling detail which quite frankly when you just want to know what a 2 click flare is you don't give a fuck about how quick the clicks are.

I cant speak spanish, but I can read all the notation and I just found the notation for a Delayed 2 clicker, and I finally got it down, single time. Woot Woot!

• 5 months later...