reverse patterns...

pedostyle

for some reason on the scratch perverts second tutorial the bit where prime cuts shows how to do reverse patterns....its like a chirp and a 1 click flare kinda but when he does it both back and forwards it blows my friggen mind...simple but sounds complicated...

anyone else have probs w/this? mebbe im handi

thx

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds he was just showing the basics of reverse paterns. To me, the first reverse pattern is - chirp - 1/2 flare fwd - reverse chirp - 1/2 flare back. Just add clicks as per normal chirp flare. Same timing, Same sorta record movent with an extra revese chirp. Is a 4-4 scratch or even scratch compared to chirpflares 3-4 "odd" scratch. The record movement pattern is easy - its like a mirror of itself... If u cant do chirpflares - forget it... Learn them first... Once u got the record pattern down, combo click away and come up with some new shit.

You need to watch the video cos neither of you are describing what Primecuts is demonstrating.

Sorry, from what u described it sounded like what we were talkin about...

So, what u were saying is theres 2 different scratchs - chirpflares/reverse chirp flares - not a morphed version like chile's audio? Or am i totally mis-understanding?

ive seen the vid and it definatly is the scratch i posted. 100% certain, the only difference is hes cleaner then me and then goes into the 2 clicks you suggested twitch, and he uses the 'Say what' sample.

ttm.jpg

I would disagree with both of those descriptions. You do not click at the end of the sound when you do a chirp - you click just after you start to hear the sound and the second image is just a one click flare orbit.

Also, your description of a crescent flare is what Chile calls a flirp. You say a flirp is the same as a one click flare orbit. What Chile calls a half flare (the single click one), is an original flare. :s

If this is gonna be done, it needs to be consistent and the reason a lot of people dismiss it is because of all the inconsistencies.

pah, next time i wont bother then. Everyone knows scratching is young and still being discovered, there isnt yet a universal terminology for all scratch techniques... scratches like flirps, crescents and boomerangs bring about confusion because alot of people dont know much about them apart from their shit names.. so they make scratches which they themselves think are those techniques. I also see that inconsistancy between mine and twitch's interpretation of a flirp, but this has nothing to do with this scratch as its made up of scratches which are widely recognised .. the chirp and the flare.

I would disagree with both of those descriptions. You do not click at the end of the sound when you do a chirp - you click just after you start to hear the sound

hmmmmmmm ok then. so you dont click on the end of the sound when you do a chirp? thats news to me. So do you time the click just after you hear the sound go forward (at the end of the forward sound)? sounds to me like yet again you've tryed correcting a mistake which wasn't there.. and you talk about inconsistencies? how would you notate a chirp?

I understand were your coming from in that we need a solid set of notation. My labels may not be correct, but it works for me.. I allways "catalog" scratchs by 2 main familys - record movements and fader clicks. Add combitions of both and u get differnt scratchs...

The reason i label the 1 click flare orbit the same as a flirp is because its fader principles are the same as a chirp. OK, yes this was just an assumption as "flirp" sounds like it belongs in the chirp/1 click flare orbit fader family - There are no other scratchs that fit this family except the chirpflare and mirrored Chirpflare. Plus flirps just easier to say 1 click flare orbit.

Say the flirp is what i call a cresent flare - This doesnt make sense as this scratch has a click in the middle were neither the chirp or 1 click flare has clicks - this middle part has a more transform like flow - with flare ends - has no major fader relation to the chirp - so why would i call it a flirp?

The chirp is plain and simple - Yes your just catching the first bit of the sound fwd and back, but your essentially cutting out the point at which the record changes directions in the middle...

The original flare and 2 click flare orbit are in the same family - same fader principles - This is what i assumed Dj Flare found. The 1 click flare orbit was just a spin off of the chirp - this is why i called it a flirp - still has open ends like a flare - no real relationship to the original flare fader timings - Alltho 1 and 2 click orbits have the same record movent - fader timings are different - this were we could get into delayed flares - i dont know exactly what they are - but i assume it sits with the orbits record movemnt family with offset fader timings

I understand were your coming from in that we need a solid set of notation.

I'm workin on a simplified notation system using the ttmethod transcription laws.. the system will eradicate dumb ass names which promote confusion like the flirp, original flare and boomerang.. these names really threw me off on how do these scratches and im sure it has others.

The law i apply to my notations on flares for example.. well first, my definition of flares are any scratch technique which has an unequal amount of clicks in the middle of the the forward and reverse strokes of the record movement. Using this rule you can then go on to label the many flares that exist as... 0-1 flare (no clicks on the forward, 1 on the reverse) or 2-3 flare (2 forward, 3 reverse) etc... This minimises confusion and allows the learner to be able to decipher the scratch from its name provided that the learner understands my definition..

Notation is used as a learning aid for patterns, not a history lesson on who named this combo and why..

Well its just my take on things anyway.. ive typed too much, im off to scratch.

Twitch says: -

The chirp is plain and simple - Yes your just catching the first bit of the sound fwd and back
Is that represented in your notation? No mate. I would draw it something like the TTM people do with a portion of the forward and back actually cut out, rather than just a dot representing a click at the end.

So do you time the click just after you hear the sound go forward (at the end of the forward sound)?

Which is it to be? Just after you hear the sound, or at the end of it? You're suggesting they are the same thing in that statement. A chirp has definition because you're hearing the very start of the sound only on the forward stroke and the same thing in reverse on the backward stroke. You're cutting out a large portion of the particular sample by closing the fader - more of it than you hear.

there isnt yet a universal terminology for all scratch techniques...

That's my point though. If everyone spoke their own language on this forum, we wouldn't be able to communicate would we? If you're making your own personal systems then you shouldn't be putting them up on the net and telling people that's how things are done, because they'll look at your ideas, then Twitch's, then the next man's and be confused at the differences between them. It should be a history lesson, because you didn't invent the scratches/combos you're doing, but now you're trying to rename some of them.

You needn't get so defensive mate, because I'm just saying that any method of writing something down should be standardised so that everyone understands and agrees on it.

god damnit my head hurts. the first file that chile posted sounded like what prime cuts did but if you get more complicated than 2 click flares i have no idea wtf technique it is.

trying to get 2 click clovers down, those are bitches.

thanks for the help tho