reverse patterns...

pedostyle

in trying to learn delayed flares im having a hardtime doing the flares and changing the direction of the record as you click, kinda like forward and reverse chirps....i need a degree in rocket science to contemplate this crap

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would disagree with both of those descriptions. You do not click at the end of the sound when you do a chirp - you click just after you start to hear the sound

hmmmmmmm ok then. so you dont click on the end of the sound when you do a chirp? thats news to me. So do you time the click just after you hear the sound go forward (at the end of the forward sound)? sounds to me like yet again you've tryed correcting a mistake which wasn't there.. and you talk about inconsistencies? how would you notate a chirp?

steve's right on this one. with a chirp you click in exactly the same place as you would a 1-click flare, which is half way through.

actually it all depends on speed. with fast chirps and flares the sample doesn't get past a quarter of the way through

just checking.... is this a chirp flare or is it slightly different?

i know i got mad drawing skilz, took me about 3 seconds

i know i sound really retarded but...ah fuck it i give up im selling my decks

it looks more like this

the big white dot is where you have to turn the mixer off during the double inverse phasing uzi boomerang part (so you don't hear it)

just checking.... is this a chirp flare or is it slightly different?

i know i got mad drawing skilz, took me about 3 seconds

i know i sound really retarded but...ah fuck it i give up im selling my decks

it looks more like this

the big white dot is where you have to turn the mixer off during the double inverse phasing uzi boomerang part (so you don't hear it)

L :(( L

Is that represented in your notation? No mate. I would draw it something like the TTM people do with a portion of the forward and back actually cut out, rather than just a dot representing a click at the end.

I now understand were your confusion is with my drawing.. But what im trying to explain is the red line is just the middle of the cut - the amount of time it is closed is not represented. Yes - technically the top should be cut off - but its too hard to represent fader position with a drawing - its only has an on and off position - but its constantly moves during a chirp. This is why i just represent the end of the fader movement as a red line - the point at which the fader is in the middle of its cut cycle....

The problem with the chirp transcription is in other drawings you're saying "click the fader here" but with the chirp you're not. If you just clicked the fader briefly off and on at the very end of a sound, you wouldn't get a chirp. See it depends if you're trying to accurately represent techniques in visual form, or just represent a scratch with an image.

post-2-1119999304.jpg

I would disagree with both of those descriptions. You do not click at the end of the sound when you do a chirp - you click just after you start to hear the sound

I don't totally agree with you on that steve, true that may be what you do, but I think that what actually defines a chirp is that the fader is closed when record changes direction regardless of how much of the forward and backwards strokes are heard (so long as some of it is heard). I tried to draw a ttm version for you but I dunno how to use GIMP properly.

When I do a chirp, my hands are moving at the same time, although slightly out of synch. The closed part of the fader cuts out a large part of the sound. In these images it makes it look like you're cutting out the tiniest portion of it with a very brief off/on click. As you say, it's open to interpretation, but who chirps by doing the very briefest click as the record changes direction? Nobody I've ever cut with.

The problem with the chirp transcription is in other drawings you're saying "click the fader here" but with the chirp you're not. If you just clicked the fader briefly off and on at the very end of a sound, you wouldn't get a chirp. See it depends if you're trying to accurately represent techniques in visual form, or just represent a scratch with an image.

Right, because I normally avoid these types of threads because nothing ever gets resolved I feel it is my right to make sure this thread reaches at least 10 pages so here goes....

Your wrong, the dot represtents the space where the fader must be close, maybe it should be a bigger dot or maybe a diamond or possible an isosceles triangle depending on which transcription dialect you are most accustomed to and or how many fingers you are holding on the record. Of course you are all aware of the fact that if you have more that 2 fingers touching the fader it cannot be a chirp and must be refered to as a multi finger chirper unless you are facing south in which case you are just doing it wrong!

I just got off the phone to Prime Cuts and he says that the way to learn to mirror scratches is literaly copy what you see when you do the scratch normally in the mirror, the only problem is you apparently need to have a deck with the tone arm on the wrong side in order to copy it exactly, these are currently not available he says that the Perverts are working on a prototype with Thud Rumble right now, and it should be out by Christmas!

Your wrong, the dot represtents the space where the fader must be close

spot on.

While i was learning chirps I just couldnt seem to get the speed on them what so ever because i was following the notation. It was later that i realised the notation was misleading me...

You're telling Carluccio that his transcription is misleading when you guys are drawing the same pictures but putting different names underneath them.

2.jpg

So the delayed 2-click flare is really just chirps and reverse chirps where you click at the start instead of the end?

Pointing out discrepancies, differences in naming of scratches and shit like that should be a good thing, not a negative one, but obviously you don't see it that way. You'll have a hard job trying to get people to accept notation if everyone's is different.

Ahh, great, now we're on to delay clickity flare gizmos, now we're guarenteed to get up to 10 pages.

Can any one post some notation of delayed flares the way Frank Zappa does them, also anyone got any of his old cut files?