Shure discontinues ALL carts and styli :(

Boom, I just copped fou4 on Guitar Center too, gonna pick 'em up tomorrow. Trying to conserve cash right now, but damn, can't be caught with my pants down and no needles.

I just received and email saying my fucking order is on backorder. Fuckign guitar center.

Me too, but at least we have the price locked in, so I can wait...unless they're completely out. If that's the case, JICO here I come.

yup, doesn't make sense and stinks of bullshit...wonder what the real reason is.

I doubt it's anything sinister — I think it's simple economics. I'm hearing different things, but the common thread is continuity of supply for the relatively low quantities being ordered. As DJs we might love them, but I doubt that Shure can order the quantities of parts to make them viable anymore. It could also be that the tooling needs renewing, which is a hugely expensive cost to recoup in a stinking market.

Compared to the rest of their business, carts are just the smallest of blips on their balance sheet, and probably not worth them continuing with.

• Like 3

I'm sure that is the reason BUT it seems like a mistake to not leave the 44-7 out there. Just focus on one thing and do it very well. My guess is the bullshit requirement in capitalism of growth over profitability.

To be honest Shure went on my shit list when they discontinued the styli for my V15VxMR cart about 10 years ago, those bastards. Good thing I've gone virtual turntable.

I've got two M44g carts and styli mounted on Technics headshells and an extra spare n44gq stylus if anyone wants to give me £1000 for them.

• Like 1

@gizmo - I kinda assumed it was more along the lines of what you mentioned - big company economics etc... opposed to the long winded strap line about maintaining high standards.

Shure is one of the biggest audio companies on the planet when it comes to microphones, Id expect that there phono products would of barely registered in there profits compared to what they sell in microphones and related products.

• Like 1

Guest broke

I've asked around and I'm not confident about the JICOs. I might end up going over to another brand e.g. back to Stanton, which I haven't used since the mid-90s

• Like 1

Guest broke

I've asked around and I'm not confident about the JICOs

Shit :(

Yeah I know. And nothing against Mojaxx and his review, which was solid, I'm just not sure he'd put them through the same sort of wear and tear as one of us would...

I bought my backups. I guess I dont scratch enough to wear my needles down, but I had to get replacements.

What is everyone's plan for their next go to?

Can we expect the new mod for turntables to be modded needles and carts?

• Like 1

I bought a single Qbert Ortofon OM to test out... probably my other setup gonna try and keep rocking with the 44-7 Jinco knockoffs... hopefully they don't suck. Got some time before I have to give em a go tho.

Id classify myself as a hobbiest so Im sure anything that works for you would be perfectly fine for me too. :p

• Like 1

Shit man, Ive seen plenty of Gs around. And whats that old one thats kinda like the 7 but with more record wear? Anyways seen those. Seen quite a few white labels too.

I bought my backups. I guess I dont scratch enough to wear my needles down, but I had to get replacements.

What is everyone's plan for their next go to?

Can we expect the new mod for turntables to be modded needles and carts?

I scratch plenty and I can't even tell you how a needle would get worn out. I only replace the stylus when it gets bent or if its been so damn long that I'm like "well, I guess it has to be time to replace these fucking things, right?" I wonder whether juggling is what wears them out.

• Like 1

Guest broke

Forget the switching carts thing, what about all the stickers on my records that are going to be a little off. :huh:

I try to set my marker to the needle when stickering vinyl. Then it doesn't matter which tonearm or cart/needle I'm using.

• Like 2

I did just place an order with Jico for both G and 7s (why are the glow in the dark ones cheaper than the regular tho? Go figure). Will let you know how they hold up after a few months of the same half a dozen or so scratches 😂

Edited by csharp

Ive tried placing orders for half a dozen or so G styli with 4 shops now...each order has been canceled. Looks like it might already be a wrap?

Pretty sure you are right, had a bunch of places having them listed as available cancel on me too.

I have a funny feeling store staff will have snapped them all up to go on ebay at a premium lol.