Shure discontinues ALL carts and styli :(

One thought I had was buying Shure SC35C for Serato use... They seem more plentiful. Isn't that what everyone used before the 44-7?

While you are actually joking, Im in the process of recording all my vinyl to 24/96 on to a NAS, as they get done they are gonna be sold off, I have reached an age now where moving 1000s of records everytime i move is just killing me.

• Like 1

While you are actually joking, Im in the process of recording all my vinyl to 24/96 on to a NAS, as they get done they are gonna be sold off, I have reached an age now where moving 1000s of records everytime i move is just killing me.

I'm going through exactly this. Wondering what to sell, what to keep, what i want to give to my kids (when i have em) etc....

Might start a seperate thread on it.

Also need to buy/build a NAS too.... seperate thread also...

Buy a NAS, I know it is just some geezer on a forum etc etc, but building one out of an old PC uses way more electricity and is a ton noisier unless you are using really costly stuff.

I picked up two enclosures for twin 4gb Reds, they were unused but "Last years" model for £50 the pair.

Right now i am investigating ling term back up ala tape etc, i dont fully trust a NAS to last even the limited lifespan i habe left.

• Like 1

Ive got some carts and 2 spare styli on the way. Ive been using some Generic ones for Serato for a while and they seem ok - was hesitant to use with real wax though.

Anyone used 44Gs before? How do they compare with 447s?

Anyone used 44Gs before? How do they compare with 447s?

I have. They are pretty good but not as skip resistant. I've heard they are similar to Shure SC35C as far as skip resist but never used those so just what I've read. And supposedly the G sounds better than the 7 and has same low record wear.

Cool. Thanks for the info. Can you use the 447 stylus in them? I guess the answer is yes, but with some hard to quantify sound differences.

Cool. Thanks for the info. Can you use the 447 stylus in them? I guess the answer is yes, but with some hard to quantify sound differences.

Definitely less harsh sounding.

Yes, Mike, you the cartridge mount is the exact same. If you google around there is a Sure FAQ that states the styli is the only difference between the G and 7 and that they are fully interchangeable aside from that they G cant handle as much weight.

Based on the Ortofon review at djworx, there is a nice expensive LTD edition (non scratchy) Concorde. Only about £500.

https://www.ortofon.com/concorde-century-p-862

Is it gold tho?

So the new stock of M44-7 stylus are hitting the shops, just got two emails from suppliers both stating that Shure have raised the RRP from £29.50 to £42.50 hahahaha, arrogant pricks !!!

What dicks.

Based on the Ortofon review at djworx, there is a nice expensive LTD edition (non scratchy) Concorde. Only about £500.

https://www.ortofon.com/concorde-century-p-862

The new Ortofons are interesting, 149€ for a twin pack of the new Mix carts, that according to the Worx review can hold it's own against the old Q-Berts. For comparison, the new Scratch carts are 229€ for a pair. Even the Mix's spare needles are 10€ cheaper...

I bet Ortofon has switched entirely to the asymmetric suspension they used in the S-120s. On that same note I wonder if the Mk II styli fit on the S-120... the S-120 wasn't physically compatible with the rest of the Mk1 line so maybe... if so it would be a cheaper way to get into the MkII AND still have the option of the OM which I personally prefer.

Yeah thats the case with the old needles and S-120 too but I wonder if the 120 is its own independent design or the new needles were built off the 120.

Got an email saying UK isn't getting anymore supplies of the 44-7, the last lot all went to the states, and those that are available in the US since the 15th are the last stock.

Looks like its gonna be all stupud price ebay crap from now on :(

If eBay prices get too high there still seems plenty of stock of the carts themselves (with a single styli).

I don't miss tonearms! Rane 12 for life bitches (or until it spins backwards and blows up).

I've pre-ordered that Concorde Century cartridge to sit with my 1200GAE.

I bet Ortofon has switched entirely to the asymmetric suspension they used in the S-120s. On that same note I wonder if the Mk II styli fit on the S-120... the S-120 wasn't physically compatible with the rest of the Mk1 line so maybe... if so it would be a cheaper way to get into the MkII AND still have the option of the OM which I personally prefer.

I'm not familiar with the S-120, but in the new Ortofons, it's not only the suspension, the shape of the cartridge tip and needle mounting has changed:

Sounds like some iPhone bullshit, always changing things so you have to buy their latest xxx. Mac products are perishable.

I guess I was lucky last year I was able to get 12 44-7 styli for the ridiculous price of 10€ each... I jumped on it thinking that's a lifetime of styli, especially since I was planning on moving to South Africa and knowing it's almost impossible to import gear there without ridiculous transport and custom fees.

And now that I discover the m44s wil be discontinued I really feel as a lucky bastard for having been at the right place at the right time (for once...).

You can all imagine that smirk on my face when I read about Shure about two weeks ago.

• Like 3