If you could pick one all scratched song.........

Steve

kid koala's actually a good choice I'd say, because I know a lot of people who listen to him that aren't scratch DJs, I even did before I began scratching, and I was introduced to him by someone who didn't scratch... I'd say just his albums in general, I like skanky panky and basin street blues... he has other good stuff to show people too...

I can't think at the moment but one good contender for me would be C'mon & Kypski's Evil Needle (then again that might not be all scratched, I've not heard it for a while).

Record flows (a suite for 11 turntables) by 2tall - From his album "shifting tides"...Dunno if everything but most of it (90 or so percent) is cut...its prolly one of the craziest scratched songs I've ever heard. Almost made me throw up when I heard it the first time.

If you haven't heard this, get your hands on it. Out of respect to 2tizza, I'm not gonna upload the track. He deserves every penny for it.

Otherwise Kid Koala's prolly a good choice, nice mellow style.

pee.z

Drunk Trumpet or ....forget what it's called... Pink and Purple But I'm Not Gay... or something like that on the Knitting Factory DVD.

If you could pick one all scratched song to play to someone that's not so familiar with the genre, what would it be? A song that demonstrates how well the turntable can be used as a musical instrument.

have you got a date????

play her kid koala's moonriver,

or else show her dj david and tell her you can do the spin trick with your knob...

I actually was in a situation like this a few weeks ago, and I played them a vid of C2C doing a routine. They got it straight away - I explained all the parts, how they altered the pitch of the sample to create notes, how scratch drumming works. And the vid just made it crystal clear.

http://en.sevenload.com/videos/LCMB8im/DJ-...-Word-Champions

If you could pick one all scratched song to play to someone that's not so familiar with the genre, what would it be? A song that demonstrates how well the turntable can be used as a musical instrument.

The Toadstyle one with the pan pipes! still the original and best!

stick 'em up by noisy stylus , good stucture and the samples are darkly funny... table manners is a pretty good album.

hmm i would actually pick like three all skratched tunes with different vibes to show the different possibilities.

like maybe scetchbook's "organism interlude" for a funky tune, phantasmagorea's "beautiful ugly sound" for a dark sounding tune, and maybe like a tune from the nozl ep or from the bnn lp with another vibe. maybe either "body, mind, spirit" or "migration" from the bnn album...

• 2 weeks later...

im out the game a little since i start grad school, but my pick would be either take a deep breath by ned hoddings, simply eternal now by ricci and mike boogie, or beautiful ugly sound by d styles sextext. maybe even the garden by cut chemist, but i dont know if thats all scratched. i think the beats may be multitracked.

Edited by Unseen