Ricci hatin on Q

$a!n+

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, the conversation appears to have stopped.

I wanna know though, Denio, Real-Izm, what envelopes are you pushing? If you can see that there's envelopes to be pushed, why aren't you doing it? You're quick to critisize Qbert, but where's your Wave Twisters equivalent? People treat musicians like a fuckin circus show. If you know better, prove it.

Ok the problem there with what youre sayin is this...I'm NOT trying to equal Wavetwisters as its been done...why make something similar...but I *am* trying to push myself personally. Currently I am:

Working on a EP

Putting out "Mixtape Making Manual vol.1" which will redefine how mixtapes are made...yeah that sounds cocky but nothing like it exists to my knowledge so I'm quite proud of it.

Working on a scratch record with alot of my own ideas and sounds I created for 2006

Doing countless live shows to push the music aspect of the art that I currently do

Constantly experimenting with other styles of music and other musicians to bring something fresh and exciting to the table so I'm not stuck in a box of only doing one thing.

"Pushing the envelope" is a thing we all do collectively...just some more than others. Me personally....I push myself to do something new everytime I work on something because otherwise I'm cheating myself of the experience I can gain.

I don't speak on things unless I feel I have something to say, I'm not a Q supporter...I'm not a Ric supporter either....I don't know either of em. So I seperate ego from the music and judge solely on that. People get so caught up in what someone says on a msg board....its called "hype" and anyone who added to a thread regarding those 2 guys EVER has contributed to their notariety.

So yeah, I only speak on it cause I want to see the art grow....if people want to stay in 1999 let em...I'm not stickin around, I got things to achieve.

I like turntables because scratching is fun, juggling is just the sickest shit ever, and mixing turns me on. No other instrument can scratch it's the just so differnt. That's why i like it i can amke something with someone elses voice, and juggling you make your own crazy music, and be a ONE man band. I enjoy watching and listening to thatl My point is, i appcieate the skill it takes for someone to say make melodies on a turntable with a guitar sample and make it sound like a real guitar. But If someone can do it with a real guitar, even better with a real guitar why do it? Scratchingisn't something that can be easily imitated and i like that. I don't see why we keep having to push the envelope, so we can make "music" like Dee said. Why can't we push on keeping turntablism, just that turntablism. Scratch drumming is sick, and alot of the times it is unique but iy know drummers just everyday drummers that would KILL scratchdrumming if they were to be trading 8's with someone. I won't lie my ideals have sort of changed, after wathcing DJ woody on flutines i was like MUST MAKE MUSIC like him, but after realizing it, a.) i suck and b.) it was'nt getting fun cause i was just trying to do something that would sound much better if ijust recorded it and played it on the flute. I scratch casue it's unique and fun. No other instrument can emulate it.

lol I love the asis fights.

People say im a hater, ive liked some of Riccis stuff, but I hated Poly, and I said I didnt like all of his stuff, there isnt anything wrong with that, its all opinion but these guys were cramming at the bit to stick their length in Riccis ass, so had a go at me for having an opinion...

Why should he hate on Q if he is pushing the boundry and doing such different things to Q, he does it because he thrives on controversy and would be no where without it.

I remember what Gabriel Saint said in the Poly post, he has no composition skills, no timing skills, production wise, that is TRUE, just look at Poly.

:x

I don't go to see them for anything more than catching something vintage I didn't catch in its prime days
Then why do you expect more from QBert and not those guys? What makes him different? I don't get it.

The tech may change as the equipment does, but it'll be like guitars - essentially you are still gonna be plucking the strings or moving a record back and forth. Effects units will not make up for lack of skill. I've never heard a great all scratched track from someone who hasn't got a good grasp of the technical aspect. They might have great ideas, but without the cuts and record control it's gonna sound sloppy.

I think the forest for the trees comment is incorrect. I can see where this is heading, we all can, but it doesn't mean other elements of it have to die. I like watching battles and listening to solo cuts and I also listen to a whole lot of scratch music. I've been listening to hip hop & scratching since the days of Buffalo Gals (one year before Rockit and it's a UK record! YAY!) and it pisses me off when some kid who's been into the scene for a year tries to tell me what something I've been into for nearly 23 years is all about. <--That last statement is not directed at you at all BTW. I'd rather it branched off in different directions than just one.

The forest for the trees comment IS accurate for the majority of people who scratch (especially those who are new to the game and lack the knowledge of past achievements within the art).

When battling was in its prime 1995-2001 roughly (lets not nitpick on the date...that's close enough lol) it was dope in small moments...but it was awkward like anything in mid progression...much like anything in its infancy. Now we have achieved a certain amount of vocab and style of application but its time to APPLY it....battling was a cool venue for the art but we can't ONLY exist there if its to ever become more than what it is now. I love battling for what it is....nostalgia...tradition....but the movement has slowed down and needs to keep moving on.

Anyhow as for the effects and tech comment....like I said in the other post its not the tech its the application of it....I'm not saying new equip will make people dope or make the art dope....but it will allow us more room to master our sound and application of it. Just think how it was with acoustic guitar when the electric guitar started to come into play. Just like with bob dylan....people weren't quick to embrace it...but who would argue it now? Noooobody.

Another thing....nobody wants to give props to someone in MID effort....its always once people are retired...or dead we give props.....what's wrong with acknowledging it now? Nothing of course BUT to me guys like D/Ric/Mike/Excess are making brave movements within what we do....anyone saying otherwise is fooling themselves and holding on to the past like a safety blanket.

Edited by Real-Izm

Guest Deeswift
Ok the problem there with what youre sayin is this...I'm NOT trying to equal Wavetwisters as its been done...why make something similar...but I *am* trying to push myself personally. Currently I am:

Working on a EP

Putting out "Mixtape Making Manual vol.1" which will redefine how mixtapes are made...yeah that sounds cocky but nothing like it exists to my knowledge so I'm quite proud of it.

Working on a scratch record with alot of my own ideas and sounds I created for 2006

Doing countless live shows to push the music aspect of the art that I currently do

Constantly experimenting with other styles of music and other musicians to bring something fresh and exciting to the table so I'm not stuck in a box of only doing one thing.

"Pushing the envelope" is a thing we all do collectively...just some more than others.  Me personally....I push myself to do something new everytime I work on something because otherwise I'm cheating myself of the experience I can gain.

I don't speak on things unless I feel I have something to say, I'm not a Q supporter...I'm not a Ric supporter either....I don't know either of em.  So I seperate ego from the music and judge solely on that.  People get so caught up in what someone says on a msg board....its called "hype" and anyone who added to a thread regarding those 2 guys EVER has contributed to their notariety.

So yeah, I only speak on it cause I want to see the art grow....if people want to stay in 1999 let em...I'm not stickin around, I got things to achieve.

I wasn't saying to remake Wave Twisters or make something even remotely similar either. Not sure where you got that idea from. I was asking where's your equivalent album? No need to answer, as I know you didn't make one.

Making a guide to making mixtapes doesn't sound cocky at all. Neither does making an EP.

Qbert never claimed he was pushing any boundaries (or envelopes). You wouldn't see him on some message board claiming to have more skills than D-Styles, or Ricc. Yet Ricc says this shit all the time. He even roped me into that thread on D's board, accusing me YET AGAIN of biting Qbert's style, which Qbert bit off him, and D-Styles... BLAH FUCKING BLAH. I'd love to hear exactly where I've bitten Qbert, cause I'm not hearing it anywhere. Funny thing is, Ricc thinks he can judge me on a couple of practice (let's not forget that word, "practice") files from 2001 and 2002. It's up to his dumb ass if he wants to do that, whatever, I don't give a toss.

My points in this thread are to say that it's a shame when musiciaans are constantly pressured like this. It's also a shame how we expect them to entertain us like some kind of circus show. It's a shame how the people who are saying this are always 10,000 light years behind Qbert in terms of technical ability and overall musicianship, some of them are straight up shameful on the decks themselves. If Qbert never released another album again, I'd have the same amount of respect for him because of how he's changed scratching, like it or not, what he's already done to push the artform forwards, and I can bet you $1 that his next album will fucking rock. Screw Gunkhole. Screw these kids who think they know better than the masters. Screw the Qbert haters who daren't admit they were influenced. Screw Ricci Rucker's childish, anal, competitive rants. Give Qbert a fucking break. Everyone thinks they know better.

Maybe he's done what he wanted to do? He's earned his respect, payed his dues, and now he's seeing some nice benefits from it which he fully deserves. My only problem is with Yoga Frog.

Word I agree with you Dee 100% on that, ....like that's why I never really get involved in that shit and I've seen it all since it started more or less. I barely peep the audio and read the long posts even less. I just want to have a rich experience in what *I* do....fuck all the bickering.

I'm workin with people who wanna do positive shit, I could care less if I'm not #1 on the cut or this or that.....that's why I got out of battling in the first place. Music shouldn't be a competition, I'll leave the arguing to those who spend more time typing than creating.

Yeah tho, like I've always said about influence....anyone you ever meet or come in contact with visually or audio wise influences you....its just natural. Q influenced me in a way....same with Melo D...same with my close friends who I cut with....

All the arguing makes me wanna just stay off the boards completely....but I still feel there is some positive things out there amongst all the shit talkin.

P.s. Q is dope to me too but I would love to be like "OMG!!" again when I see him do his thing.....that's my reason for saying I want to see new shit from him. Just feels like he's holding back :s

Edited by Real-Izm

reading between the lines on this stuff ppl r hating Q because he is repetitve, but if he does it well and others enjoy it why change (ok he could add sumthing different not to get too stale) but why all the comotion about "pushing the envolope" just because you arent doing somthing totally different to others doesnt mean its bad. many guitarist will make a solo with a few bends, hammer-ons and pull-off. theres not much new-age technique going on there yet they can be some of the greatest solos. yeh things do have to progress but you cant forget the basics and the retro stuff as most of it is the building blocks of things to come.

i agree with you totally mix....i do it because its fun...and once its stops being fun what is the point of carrying on. im not out to beat every1 at scratchin but just to make stuff i can be proud of (even if others dont like it)

Guest Deeswift
Word I agree with you Dee 100% on that, ....like that's why I never really get involved in that shit and I've seen it all since it started more or less.  I barely peep the audio and read the long posts even less.  I just want to have a rich experience in what *I* do....fuck all the bickering. 

I'm workin with people who wanna do positive shit, I could care less if I'm not #1 on the cut or this or that.....that's why I got out of battling in the first place.  Music shouldn't be a competition, I'll leave the arguing to those who spend more time typing than creating.

Yeah tho, like I've always said about influence....anyone you ever meet or come in contact with visually or audio wise influences you....its just natural.  Q influenced me in a way....same with Melo D...same with my close friends who I cut with....

All the arguing makes me wanna just stay off the boards completely....but I still feel there is some positive things out there amongst all the shit talkin.

P.s. Q is dope to me too but I would love to be like "OMG!!" again when I see him do his thing.....that's my reason for saying I want to see new shit from him.  Just feels like he's holding back  :s

There is a lot of positive shit happening man, you are totally right, but people LOVE drama. You remember how TTNN was, I'm sure (I remember you from back then), well people are still stuck in that same mentality now. It was fun at the time, but the positives get ignored. Look at this thread -- one of the biggest growing threads we've had for a while because there's the mention of Ricc hating on Qbert. No suprise there, but there's so much more to life. It's like these people are so concerned with what Ricc is saying, it pisses me off. Like he runs the internet or something. I just find it all so boring now because that shit is OOOOLLLDDD. Nothing has changed since I first hit TTNN in october '99. Same old crap. Same old attention grabbing marketing strategy with no care for the negative consequences. It's destructive. It makes me hate the scratch scene.

Do your thing Real-Izm. I hope shit works out for you and you're not in Qbert's position in ten years time of being under pressure from ex-fans that turned hateful of you, cause that must fucking suck. I can't really imagine that. Closest I have been is people dissing the shit out of me because I didn't post a scratch file for a few years. That was bad enough though, I had people saying "Deeswift is totally wack now, he fell off" on more than a few occasions. It wasn't nice, it just made me ask myself why these people even deserve to hear my music.

I do know that Qbert is planning another album which is apparently gonna be very different from Wave Twisters. I would love to hear this, and to see the shit talkers finally silenced. I think and hope they have a mighty big shock when it drops. They will probably find something negative to say though, because once again, people LOVE drama.

Guest Deeswift
i agree with you totally mix....i do it because its fun...and once its stops being fun what is the point of carrying on. im not out to beat every1 at scratchin but just to make stuff i can be proud of (even if others dont like it)

I wish everyone thought like this. We should all be helping each other out, cause the scratch community is fucked.

WORD.....the whole drama thing is why I don't post up as my dj name....I don't want to get caught up in that old game of hatred for publicity.

p.s. - WWW.DJVETERAN.COM

p.p.s. - I wonder what would happen if everyone just stopped posting in threads like this...and others similar. hmm.

Guest Deeswift

That's probably a good idea man, keeping your name out of it. I admit though, at the time of TTNN I was playing on it as much as possible, using any publicity to my advantage. It got me on Braille, so that worked to my advantage. I just became bored of the drama since though. Time to cut the crap and get busy!

ok, i didn't read half of this cause most of it i the same old shit, ric vs. the world, q is wack yadda yadda, but i'm just gonna throw in my 2 pence.

people are saying q should 'push the envelope'. why? push what envelope? make ambient 'scetches' (fuck i hate that word) like ricci rucker? or create some new shit? how about e just lazes about doing something he loves? he's on tour performing his passion and getting paid for it, and people are criticising him. i can't fucking believe it. it's like saying footballers should play differnetly to 'push the envelope'. why? what envelope is this? surely it is different for everybody? perhaps q is 'pushing the envelope', just not in public yet and when he does finally release it, it's gonna blow the scratch world wide open. then what are you going to say? no doubt 99% of the haters will jump off ricci's dick and back on q's...

Right on. Push fuckin what? He's already got god knows how many scratches up his sleeve that nobody else can even do. He's already pushed the envelope so far that nobody can catch up haha.

i must say i feel ricci on most of his statements

he aint a fool and he is a very talented musician

and he is pushing the scratch scene in the right direction imo

he oviously has an ego complex but who cares

i like most of his music and he is a great scratcher dont know if he could battle q but i got really alot of nicks old practice files and he indeed is bionic on the cut...i could post some of his old files if peeps are interested btw

however...people stop tripping about his attitude

yeah hes a dope musician, but its not a license to put people down. he wants to teach the world, but how can you teach if you tell people that they aint worth shit? its like telling 5 year old kids that because they cant read and write yet, theyre not worth pissing on (a la r.kelly).

people say ricc is cool in real life though, but i wouldnt know since i havnt met him. his e-self however comes off as egotistical.

no doubt hes dope though, i like his music. either way he shouldnt be hating on q, because q's earned his place. at least q is encouraging!

Guest Deeswift

I agree man. Teach, not preach. I think he needs attention or something,. like a naughty kid. Even though the kid gets told off for being a nightmare, it's still getting attention. I can't come to any other conclusion except that he's insecure.

Hate to post from_____ BUT i thought some might want to check it. Ricci talks Q down and talks about steppin to him or some shit. Riccis an idiot. Anybody ever check out Q's board. We should let him know Riccis callin him out see if we cant get a legit battle.

http://66.166.122.93/djdstyles/cgi/ultimat...c;f=14;t=000833

Yes, I'm a member of Q's board. I would think it's no big deal though, Q ain't got time to fry such a small fish.

I agree, but then you look at some of these ppl in hip hop who are considered to be a lot more prominent...i hate eminem more than the next guy, but look at how he actually bothers to entertain those out of spotlight icp clowns or benzino guy,

maybe im not using a good example because eminem is a doosh, just illustrating that anything is possible....

I dont think id get a hardon hearing there was a battle between the 2, tho i wouldnt mind watching it if there was.....becuz nicks was so ruuuude to me on assphonix :((

Edited by Nelson

Also jsut to note, I don't mind a DJ using his turntable to say make a guitar riff, as long as it's still uniqie enough to the turntable that the guitar can't emulate it, if that maeks any sense

thats what i was gonna say, cutting up a guitar noise is never gonna sound like a real guitar riff, its gonna sound like someone cutting up a guitar noise....my opinion is do whatever you want on the turntables, "scetches" solo kutting whatever, if i think it sounds good i will big it up. end of really

this 'next shit' ricci is always spewing seems pretty stupid considering alot of his releases are emulating sample based music. To me making a beat using a turntable isnt anything new, its actually a step backwards from the current things that samplers and sequencers let you do. Yea you can flare a hi hat or whatever, big deal.

If you want to make a beat use a sampler, im not that impressed because you did it with a turntable and a metronome clicking in the background. Its more of a novelty. Like wow this guy used the sun and a stick to tell us the time while we already have atomic clocks with digital accuracy.

I heard that knitting factory live dvd and it sounded like shit... I'd rather listen to a real drummer and not have to worry about offtime turntable drumming/sample drops and sound levels that are all over the place w/ boring transitions while you are changing records.

I guess this is coming from a production viewpoint but all of this turntables are some amazing new form of music manipulators is a bit much.

You cant get anywhere near the level of expression on a turntable that you could on a sampler that is playing a multisampled instrument with various velocity levels...

anyways...

Edited by sp1200

Guest Mike Reezy

I think riccis hate stems from Q just stopping at tech solo kutting and not advancing anymore.

Maybe its because like me, he thinks Q has alot more to offer to the art, but he seems to be stuck in a rutt, either that or hes content with milking his current situation.

Either way, like Ricc has said many times, he respects Q for what he has done, but that hes no longer doing shit (thats new, therefore not advancuing the art, he is spreading it tho)

And that because of that you cant really say hes dope in a sense of now, sure his solo kutts are and his style, and if thats all skratching is to you then hes your god, but if you accept what Ricci and others believe to be the future (musical natured kutts/tracks) hes just not in it anymore

Add that to tha fact that Ricc puts in alot of work (probably alot more than Q) and that Q is paid like 1000 times more, I could see why he gets heated on the subject.

I still like to watch Q kutt tho, im not at my technical peak, so its still ill as fuck for me :)

Its not about always pushing the envelope. Its not about who is beter and who is gonna when the battle. Its about respect for other artist in your art. Thats how an artform grows. Ruck is teaching people that the DJ game is about being a dick. Q is teching people how to make $. Sorry but I would pick $ over wasting my time bitching. All the people that follow Ruck or assholes because they "follow the leader. (not all) And "most" of Q's fans are more couteous. If you dont take action against people that tarnish the image of something you hol dear, you are letting yourself get ruined. Negativity breeds negativity and vice versa.