Ricci hatin on Q

$a!n+

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hate to post from_____ BUT i thought some might want to check it. Ricci talks Q down and talks about steppin to him or some shit. Riccis an idiot. Anybody ever check out Q's board. We should let him know Riccis callin him out see if we cant get a legit battle.

http://66.166.122.93/djdstyles/cgi/ultimat...c;f=14;t=000833

Ok just to play devils advocate so to speak....what if they DID battle and Ric shut him down.....would everyone shut up then and officially eat their words?

Q has the most to lose from the battle so it wlil never happen but just cause alot of people hate ric doesn't mean he absolutely wouldn't beat him.....

Not that it truly matters to me, but I thought it was an interesting hypothetical.

EDIT: Reading Ric's post....yeah it might sound like hate..especially for those who hate HIM..., but he's actually on point with alot of what he's sayin.....

"Tell me what in that file was something we havent before seen... at one point, and this is where it is for q, it just becomes that question. What havent I seen... its the same beat, approach, techniques, just slightly different. I heard the beat before, and I seen the same mini chorus to solo routine with other sounds, the chirps and all the combos. "

Can anyone really disagree with that?

Edited by Real-Izm

Hate to post from_____ BUT i thought some might want to check it. Ricci talks Q down and talks about steppin to him or some shit. Riccis an idiot. Anybody ever check out Q's board. We should let him know Riccis callin him out see if we cant get a legit battle.

Ok just to play devils advocate so to speak....what if they DID battle and Ric shut him down.....would everyone shut up then and officially eat their words?

Q has the most to lose from the battle so it wlil never happen but just cause alot of people hate ric doesn't mean he absolutely wouldn't beat him.....

Not that it truly matters to me, but I thought it was an interesting hypothetical.

I don't think people are saying Rucker would lose because they hate him. I think he'd lose because QBert is better at scratching IMO. If Ricci won I wouldn't care in the slightest, cos they'd still be doing the exact same things, just Ric's head might expand to the point of bursting.

"Tell me what in that file was something we havent before seen... at one point, and this is where it is for q, it just becomes that question. What havent I seen... its the same beat, approach, techniques, just slightly different. I heard the beat before, and I seen the same mini chorus to solo routine with other sounds, the chirps and all the combos. "

Can anyone really disagree with that?

I wouldn't disagree but then QBert is doing scratch solos at a show - that's basically all he does. I dunno what people expect - juggles and mixes and shit? He has no band or other DJs to back him up. That clip isn't exactly long either.

A lot of times I've seen Ricci solo it's a lengthy 2 click chirp flare combo of some sort. In fact nearly every video I've seen where he goes all out, that's what he does, even when I saw him live and the same when Matt shouted at him at another live show and he decided to do some soloing. Check 1:10-1:20 in that Aliosity file for an example. To be honest, I've heard Ryan or Dee cut as well as that. DEESWIFT..YOU SUCK ASS HOLE......;)

I don't think people are saying Rucker would lose because they hate him. I think he'd lose because QBert is better at scratching IMO. If Ricci won I wouldn't care in the slightest, cos they'd still be doing the exact same things, just Ric's head might expand to the point of bursting.

Yeah but for those who wouldn't care if ric won...they would be allllllll over it if Q beat him cause of their dislike of ric.....

To me Q just isn't an innovator anymore....I really don't care about a "new scratch" or thud rumble skateboards.....not to take away from what he'd done but he's not pushing the envelope anymore IMO.

Guest Deeswift

Maybe he's not TRYING to push any envelopes? Q doesn't take scratching so serious and he ain't so ANAL about all of this, he sees scratching as a fun thing to do, first and foremost. Qbert ain't trying to change the world through scratching, or do something "musical" (bandwagon word of the century). Why don't people accept Q for who he is and what he does? We're expecting too much.

Yeah but for those who wouldn't care if ric won...they would be allllllll over it if Q beat him cause of their dislike of ric.....

To me Q just isn't an innovator anymore....I really don't care about a "new scratch" or thud rumble skateboards.....not to take away from what he'd done but he's not pushing the envelope anymore IMO.

Why does he have to? Cash Money still tours. Grandmaster Flash, Jazzy Jeff etc. etc. They're doing the same old thing but all of them were innovators in their prime. None of them HAVE to do anything to advance things now, including Q. QBert has been cutting for 20 years. He still inspires more DJs to take up scratching than anyone else on the planet. Ricci's been going since what, 1997, so he let's see if you say he's "pushing the envelope" when his 20 years are up in 2017.

You might say you don't care about a new scratch, but I remember thinking back in the 80's that there were no more scratches possible and that was before flares, crabs and all the mad shit around now. If I could go back to the mid-80's but hear a QBert or Rucker scratch file from now I'd probably have pissed myself with delight and amazement, so who says that won't be the same in another 10 or 15 years time?

I am with you on the skateboards and shit though man. There is obviously blatant cashing in going on, but again, it doesn't really bother me. I'm not buying any of it. If other people want to that's up to them really. It seems pretty clear that the very irritating Yoga Frog is behind a lot of it. Has anyone ever heard him cut?

Maybe he's not TRYING to push any envelopes? Q doesn't take scratching so serious and he ain't so ANAL about all of this, he sees scratching as a fun thing to do, first and foremost. Qbert ain't trying to change the world through scratching, or do something "musical" (bandwagon word of the century). Why don't people accept Q for who he is and what he does? We're expecting too much.

If he didn't take it seriously he wouldn't be where he is today so I don't buy that at all. To me what youre sayin is an easy excuse for an artist being complacent and resting on his laurels....I mean if that's how it really is... cool ...but what's the point of me checkin for him at all when he just rocks the same shit he was rockin 5 years ago?

I like that some people take it seriously enough (myself included) to do new things with it. I mean....its not even like he's doing different shit within his own style.....he's recycling shit ad nauseum and hustling QFO'S.

I respect he has to make money as we all do....but I don't respect his lack of motivation to do more with the spotlight he has.

if i was as good as qbert i would cash in on everything.

besides it's not like it's him sat at a desk designing a skateboard, his company will do things and he will endorse them as he owns the company.

i would love to have my logo on a skateboard (so long as it's a good skateboard) and i would knock out products left right and centre.

maybe even headshell weights ;)

Steve you missin the point tho.....watchin Cash Money...and Jazzy Jeff and all that is cool...its nostalgic....I don't go to see them for anything more than catching something vintage I didn't catch in its prime days. Lookin at d-styles....he's been on it for the same amount of time pretty well and he's still pushing it.....pushing music...pushing application of technique.

NOT just being tech for the sake of it.....

As far as the 'new scratch' thoery....well I mean there is only so much you can do mathematically with AHHHHHHH or any sound really. Its not about clicking or clover tears anymore.....for example:

Being "smart" and having an IQ of 190 doesn't mean anything but the genius lies in the application of knowledge not the posession of it.

The tech will change as the equipment does....pedals....efx....etc. Any other instrument has gone through the same changes....initial ideas....progressive stages....utilizing new aspects like efx and whatever.

Unfortunately for most, they can't see the forest for the trees and this will all be blatently obvious once Ken Burns son drops a 6 DVD series on the history of scratching in the year 2050. LOL.

Until then, this is a transition period and nothing more....still very exciting tho!

Guest Deeswift

OK, the conversation appears to have stopped.

I wanna know though, Denio, Real-Izm, what envelopes are you pushing? If you can see that there's envelopes to be pushed, why aren't you doing it? You're quick to critisize Qbert, but where's your Wave Twisters equivalent? People treat musicians like a fuckin circus show. If you know better, prove it.

I get what people are saying about Q not pushing anything forward. Its like your smart friend that just does enough to get by instead of getting those straight A's or whatever. its his choice let him do what he wants. But getting back to the initial point. All ric is doing is another genre of music with a turntable and I dont see how thats pushing anything forward. Hes just doing something different not really doing something new, only diferent thing he is doing is doing weird shit with a turntable. All of rics music I have heard other artist do, not the same thing but the same sound, all ricc is doing different is with a turntable. If anything hes somewhat of a hypocrite when it comes to pushing shit further because if he was then hed have a cdx. You know how much melodic shit you could do with a cd table, you wouldnt be limited to pitch, but instead hes coming out with another vinyl table because he wants to keep it real which is totally fine, but someone will probably improve on it by making it digital. ANyways fact of the matter is eventhough ricc is on point with somethings about Q hes still a hater and has a huge ego thats killing him. I say let Q do his thing, whose to say he wont come out with some crazy shit, even then everyone still would hate on him and probably call him a biter. Fuck the bullshit.

I agree with you that it's all very exciting mate, but I don't see why comparisons have to be drawn between Ricci and Q all the time when it's quite clear they are totally different in terms of style and application. If you got paid 10,000 dollars plus expenses to fly around different countries of the world doing an hour of scratching here and there, I'm sure you'd do it. I fucking would, I'm no fool! lol.

I just don't see why anyone has to do anything in particular. There are clearly thousands of people who enjoy going to QBert shows. Not everyone wants to make music using a turntable either. While there is a demand, if I was QBert I'd keep on doing what I was doing. I bet a lot of people who make music with a turntable would cite Q as one of their prime influences too.

I don't go to see them for anything more than catching something vintage I didn't catch in its prime days

Then why do you expect more from QBert and not those guys? What makes him different? I don't get it.

The tech may change as the equipment does, but it'll be like guitars - essentially you are still gonna be plucking the strings or moving a record back and forth. Effects units will not make up for lack of skill. I've never heard a great all scratched track from someone who hasn't got a good grasp of the technical aspect. They might have great ideas, but without the cuts and record control it's gonna sound sloppy.

I think the forest for the trees comment is incorrect. I can see where this is heading, we all can, but it doesn't mean other elements of it have to die. I like watching battles and listening to solo cuts and I also listen to a whole lot of scratch music. I've been listening to hip hop & scratching since the days of Buffalo Gals (one year before Rockit and it's a UK record! YAY!) and it pisses me off when some kid who's been into the scene for a year tries to tell me what something I've been into for nearly 23 years is all about.

I wanna know though, Denio, Real-Izm, what envelopes are you pushing? If you can see that there's envelopes to be pushed, why aren't you doing it? You're quick to critisize Qbert, but where's your Wave Twisters equivalent? People treat musicians like a fuckin circus show. If you know better, prove it.

That's a bit harsh Dee. People comment continually about everything but may not necessarily be able to do better--- politics, science, art, tractor-pulling. It doesn't preclude having an opinion.

Opinions would be more accepted if you were on a level like Q, but then you might be hawking decks and being criticised.

Guest Deeswift

That's a bit harsh Dee. People comment continually about everything but may not necessarily be able to do better--- politics, science, art, tractor-pulling. It doesn't preclude having an opinion.

Opinions would be more accepted if you were on a level like Q, but then you might be hawking decks and being criticised.

It's not harsh at all mate. Well, it wasn't intended to sound harsh, all I'm saying is if people can see what needs to change, then go ahead and change it. What I actually see is people with way less skill than Qbert criticizing everything he does. Why should he have to constantly prove himself?