Ricci hatin on Q

$a!n+

You cant get anywhere near the level of expression on a turntable that you could on a sampler that is playing a multisampled instrument with various velocity levels...

anyways...

Yes you can, that's a rather ignorant thing to assume. Its an audio aesthetic and takes dexterity and skill to do....I can make a dope beat in less than 3 minutes and add a ill solo on top all LIVE...can you do that on a sampler?? You'd have to sample it....then chop it....then clean up your samples so they don't pop....then lay out drums....etcetcetc.....samplers are cool but nowhere near as instantaneous.

The turntable is (like any other instrument) what you make of it....if you don't have skills then you can't do shit with it....

Click here

You couldn't do that on a standard sampler...not in the time I did it there in that clip....and you couldn't flip the samples the same way either. :8

Oh BTW....I didn't use a metronome...just my own tempo.

Edited by Real-Izm

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

this 'next shit' ricci is always spewing seems pretty stupid considering alot of his releases are emulating sample based music. To me making a beat using a turntable isnt anything new, its actually a step backwards from the current things that samplers and sequencers let you do. Yea you can flare a hi hat or whatever, big deal.

If you want to make a beat use a sampler, im not that impressed because you did it with a turntable and a metronome clicking in the background. Its more of a novelty. Like wow this guy used the sun and a stick to tell us the time while we already have atomic clocks with digital accuracy.

I heard that knitting factory live dvd and it sounded like shit... I'd rather listen to a real drummer and not have to worry about offtime turntable drumming/sample drops and sound levels that are all over the place w/ boring transitions while you are changing records.

I guess this is coming from a production viewpoint but all of this turntables are some amazing new form of music manipulators is a bit much.

You cant get anywhere near the level of expression on a turntable that you could on a sampler that is playing a multisampled instrument with various velocity levels...

anyways...

Sampler = Programmed Feel = Lifeless

Turnatble = Live Feel = Human emotions

9 out of 10 times!

anyways...

Yes you can, that's a rather ignorant thing to assume. Its an audio aesthetic and takes dexterity and skill to do....I can make a dope beat in less than 3 minutes and add a ill solo on top all LIVE...can you do that on a sampler?? You'd have to sample it....then chop it....then clean up your samples so they don't pop....then lay out drums....etcetcetc.....samplers are cool but nowhere near as instantaneous.

The turntable is (like any other instrument) what you make of it....if you don't have skills then you can't do shit with it....

Click here

You couldn't do that on a standard sampler...not in the time I did it there in that clip....and you couldn't flip the samples the same way either. :8

Oh BTW....I didn't use a metronome...just my own tempo.

Nice Vid! What Kinda loop Pedal???

i won't pay to see Qbert. and I think that's really the bottom line for me. i know his routine as well as he does. he's predictible...and I'm not putting forth my quality grip into their hands for doing the same routine OVER AND OVER (sans Yoga's dope switch ups.."all this on ONE QFO!".

i refuse to pay for that.

Guest Mike Reezy
Its not about always pushing the envelope. Its not about who is beter and who is gonna when the battle. Its about respect for other artist in your art. Thats how an artform grows. Ruck is teaching people that the DJ game is about being a dick. Q is teching people how to make $. Sorry but I would pick $ over wasting my time bitching. All the people that follow Ruck or assholes because they "follow the leader. (not all) And "most" of Q's fans are more couteous. If you dont take action against people that tarnish the image of something you hol dear, you are letting yourself get ruined. Negativity breeds negativity and vice versa.

it just comes off as negativity, if you were talking in a room and said something untrue, I would check you right quick, and say that you were wrong and you didnt have a clue of what you were talking about, and you might interpret that as negativity, when really im just playing my role of societies informant

Nah thats legit. And it depends on how you approach it. I mean if you said "Gabe, i think your wrong, man, and this is why" I have no problem admitting being wrong. If you said "you fuckin idiot, you dont know shit cause you cant comprehend my level of understanding, so give up and die"... Shit would start. Its really the same thing two diferent approches. Lets face it both ricci and Q:

1) wanna make money

2) wanna make music

3) wanna be known

Its the approach thats different.

Guest Mike Reezy

what musik is Q making?

I dont think Ricc is in it for the $.

You are on point about shit being the same and how you approach it could recive different reactions, but thats you interpretting what he meant, if it wasnt his intentions (which you dont know unless he told you them) then you have to reserve judgement

When I was growing up, Iw as neglected alot, so I had to yell to be noticed, now people think im yelling all the time.

@gabe

if we were homies, so no hate on each other, I woudl says omething like this

"WTF? are you kidding me? Do youjust babble nonsense? Where did you hear that crap from? Your completely wrong homie. Its like this....."

people think im hating all the time, even my roomate doesnt like to go to parties with me, because he thinks somone will interpret my intentions wrong and it may effect him and his agenda.

Exactly. You look at what Riccs doing and sayin "if he's doing then I feel comfortable doing. Because Ricc is an Icon he had alot of persuasion. Maybe you should look a DStyles and say "modesty is the key." Maybe you should check yourself and ask yourself the question "is the way I spout off a major character flaw that I could correct and help the quality of my life." But if your role model says "nah fuck it, i'll be a dick cause thats just me" more than likely you will do it too. ( i dont mean you, just example...)

If Ricci is part of the reason so many of these DJ's come off as dicks, i domt respect it. It ruins my art so I would want to stand up about it.

Guest Mike Reezy
Exactly. You look at what Riccs doing and sayin "if he's doing then I feel comfortable doing. Because Ricc is an Icon he had alot of persuasion. Maybe you should look a DStyles and say "modesty is the key." Maybe you should check yourself and ask yourself the question "is the way I spout off a major character flaw that I could correct and help the quality of my life." But if your role model says "nah fuck it, i'll be a dick cause thats just me" more than likely you will do it too. ( i dont mean you, just example...)

If Ricci is part of the reason so many of these DJ's come off as dicks, i domt respect it. It ruins my art so I would want to stand up about it.

to label someone as a dick is all opinion, you dont know how his daily situations and life are, maybe thats what works in his situation, and if the people in his immediate vicinity dont interpret it as hating, thats how a nukka rolls, but then you have people that are stuck on "I dontlike how you said that Mr. Rucker" - and why? fuck how he said it, take the useful information and bounce, thats what he wants you to do anyways.

You could argue how a person delivers information until the end of time, but thats not gonna change how they do shit, it obvioussly works for them so that what happens.

If you think about it, people write way more articulate than they speak, most people are just used to the average 'nice guy' attitude, and cant take it in without assuming offense.

fuck that, its a front, most people arent fucking happy

Im not a happy person. I just learn from experience that you get alot furthur if you present things nicley. Even if youve got alterior motives.

How do you flip it to reverse without your hands?

Use a standard sustain pedal in the "reverse" jack ....only cost me like $10 bucks....I got the other pedal to advance my sequences as well.

Did you adavance sequences in that vid? Can you step back after you advance?

Guest Mike Reezy
Im not a happy person. I just learn from experience that you get alot furthur if you present things nicley. Even if youve got alterior motives.

thats called being fake Gabe, I say my thoughts exactly how I want to with no regard for how it will effect anyone/thing, if you cant handle that then I cant handle you...

it weeds out the fake moarks rather quickly, and instead im left with a highly elite squad of homies, that are REAL, people that say what they mean when they think it, not behind your back

If I fuck up, tell me, so I can fix it, otherwise whats the point of even perpetuating that thought?

If i was to tell you what was on my mind at all times I wouldnt be me. I would be pretending to be someone else. You have to do things you dont want to do in order to get things you do want. I could tell every person exactly what I dont like but i would only breed negativity. Instead you can rely on what you do like in someone. I am me because i like to bring out the best in a person. Not by pointing out everyflaw or weakness, but by shedding light on strengths.

Its much nicer to say someone has a "great personality" then to say they are "ugly." Sometimes its the same message but presented either positive or negative.

Guest Mike Reezy
If i was to tell you what was on my mind at all times I wouldnt be me. I would be pretending to be someone else. You have to do things you dont want to do in order to get things you do want. I could tell every person exactly what I dont like but i would only breed negativity. Instead you can rely on what you do like in someone. I am me because i like to bring out the best in a person. Not by pointing out everyflaw or weakness, but by shedding light on strengths.

what you dont realize is that by pointing out your flaws an weakness, I am encouraging you to fix them, and thus making you a stronger person, but weak people who have egos, cant stand to be told anything and they label it all as hate.

I like to kall it 'misunderstoond constructive criticism'

When you stop yourself from doing something you want to do, youre being fake

When you do something you dont want to do, youre being fake, you know you would much rather not do that.

To each his own

personally I would like everyone and their momma to tell me anything about me they want. You have to assume its all love, like hiphop is, then theres no hate.

We're homies, so im not gonna be tryna hurt you, its like a family, you can asusme evrything I do is for your benefit(not speaking to you specifically)

Its like, would you let your homie go on a date without telling him he had a fat ass zit, or that he had a whole in the back of his pants, or that he forgot to brush his teeth? No

So why is that any different to you , when its ideals and thoughts being approached instead of something physical?

If I tell you your breath stinks, its because I want you to brush your damn teeth, not because im trying to make fun of you.

^^^^ that is the simplest I can put it

Its much nicer to say someone has a "great personality" then to say they are "ugly." Sometimes its the same message but presented either positive or negative.

another example of faking the funk. physical attractiveness is one thing because some of it cant be changed, but on the real, I cant stand being around people tha t have pizza faced acne going on, I want to pop all their zits, im at the very least gonna ask them about facial estringents

Guest Mike Reezy

crap is an opinion and a perspective based one as well, whose making better musik than they are using the same methods? If you cant say anyone, then what they are doing is perspectively good for that type of steeze

you wouldnt say that the first car henry ford made was wack, no matter how bad it sucked, or how many downfalls it had, because there are no other cars to compare it against. (speaking in a timeframe)

Fair enough, me thinking it's shit only applies to me obviously but that's the only opinion I can give. The musik they make I can listen to once and appreciate it's well made and all scratched but nothing really nice to over again. I just don't like most of the Melodies. Rhythmaticly it's wicked but the melodies just don't do anything for me. Especially on most of Riccis stuff I've heard.

Guest Mike Reezy

fair enough, I feel the same way to with alotof shit, but im just learning how to listen to musik, i have to stop trying to categorize shit as 'good' or 'bad' ..... I have a problem with that.

i must admit i got bored half way through reading this shit, however, i do think that Q would thoroughly and comprehensively destroy rucker in a battle, it's what he does, it's what got him into this shit in the first place. the scracth solo's/develpoment cmae about as a consequence of his desire to keep fucking people up in battles.

Rucker? who knows, he seems to be continually trying to re-invent himself, one month critisizing hip-hop, next month saying he's got a new album out rrraaapp...

bottom line - Rucker's doing limited pressings of his new wave shit, and living on the bread line. Q has a condo in hawaii and another in SF, maybe thats the source of ruckers animosity...

sorry if i've re-hashed other peoples points, just my 50 cents...

Rucker? who knows, he seems to be continually trying to re-invent himself, one month critisizing hip-hop, next month saying he's got a new album out rrraaapp...

haha, i will not respect ricci rucker until he makes a gabber or drill n bass tune all scratched at 200bpm in one take with one turntable and no records.

also, he's probably sitting here laughing. i'd imagine the reason he kicks up so much of a fuss and argues all the time is to create publicity. and it works, we have a 5 page thread on a board that isn't even solely about the scratch scene. the bigger his reputation, the more money he brings in, the mopre well known he becomes and the more people he can work with...