OK MAC OS X Vs. PC's XP

alkatrazz

Im sorry tyra but i have to disagree I would not call a pc a ford. You can get a desktop or laptop running XP 50 times more powerful faster, basically beat a mac in every category, or you can get a dirt cheap pc like Dee said its so diverse. You can get super fancy shell for your PC or buy a really nice looking laptop that could be 10 times better than a mac. If anything a pc can be a ferrari a pinto almoust anything and a mac can only be a lexus and thats it. Thats the great thing about pc's.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will never happen:

PC User: Macs are shit

Mac User: No they're not - Macs rule

PC User: Bollocks! PC's are better because (insert reasons here)

Mac User: Oh yeah, you're right. Sorry for being so stupid. I'm a PC convert!

You will not ever convince a PC or Mac user that your system is better. It's a pointless waste of time and bandwidth.

It's all down to personal preference and mine is Mac. I've been using them now for 15 years and probably always will because I feel comfortable with their hardware and software.

something that i like better with the macs is its intuitive (except for the close/minimise/maximise on the left - im a windows user, but i jump on the macs at uni)

the F(1-13) buttons actually do some useful shit on macs.. one-button organisation of multiple windows open. thats what i meant by quicker workflow, i prefer that style rather than alt+tab through 10 windows.

are there any good laptops besides the apple's? i dont like the mac prices thats all.

edit->somone find me a better laptop than a powerbook.

Edited by cgroove

macs are well built and look nice. often found on tv commercials as they add "style" to the background.

back in the day graphic design was best on a mac. (and i mean way back in the days of shit pc architecture, and unstable o/s's) but pc's have come a long way. now pc's are better. and when mac headquarters realised that, macs started changing colour, and going for wacky fashion shapes. and it worked.

even on the tescos "computers for school" adverts (promotion where what you spend on shopping means tokens to buy pc's for schools) they show a picture of a mac. why? because its an advertising thing. do they buy macs for schools? i doubt it.

to sum up (my opinions)

mac for:

better built. looks cool. long heritage of quality / stability

mac against:

out in the cold with certain software / methods. too expensive. and do they still have a 1 button mouse?

pc for:

cheap. universal. powerful

pc against:

cheap. ugly metal boxes. ancient architecture. too many anti microsoft dicks trying to fuck things up with viri

at the end of the day it's what your used to. and it depends what you use for computer for.

as for "are there any good laptops beside the apples". please. wtf are you using your laptop for? typing uni assigments up? or is it used as gmail's main email server? a p4 2.8 laptop makes for an awesome laptop. a celeron 1200 and above is also fine. if you are doing collossal memory munching complicated tasks, get a desktop ffs.

stop worrying about benchmark tests and shit that you aint even gonna notice.

sorry about the rant but this subject gets me mad. people want faster and faster and f a a a a ster pc's so that . . . um . . . that . . . well they start up quicker.

ohh didnt mean to add fuel to the fire

pls somone recommend me a good system for video editing. id like a really stable pc, so im gonna need parts that work together well.

im a facken noob, and my compgeek non-e-friends dont do any a/v work.

Guest Deeswift
ohh didnt mean to add fuel to the fire

pls somone recommend me a good system for video editing. id like a really stable pc, so im gonna need parts that work together well.

im a facken noob, and my compgeek non-e-friends dont do any a/v work.

A decent P4 or Athlon64 would serve you well. Get yourself 1 GB of good memory too.

I ENDED up with a mac ibook.

After it had decided to rename and re-organize the mp3 collection I had built up over 3 months the battery went. When I went to the mac shop to ask the guy he said I would have to wait six months then maybe not get one. Then he proceeded to tell me how good mac's were at graphics.

Something that I find a lot of mac heads forget is that PC is NOT Microsoft.

With linux running on a compac with intel chip you never need to hear the name micr...

With the advanced scalability and shareability of PC, it seems almost silly to own a seperate system that everyone else has to adjust too.

It may be funny to say, but do you really think we would all be sharing mp3s and emails so well today if microsoft had not used their monopoly to standardize everything. Its also funny that, now we have it, we can choose to dump microsoft and build it up as a community.

Guest Deeswift

OK seriously -- why is a Mac better for graphics than a powerful PC with tons of RAM, a great video card and a nice monitor? Also, why is Mac better for audio than a PC with a top notch sound card? I NEED ANSWERS DAMMIT! No one can answer! So until then, I'm gonna take the "Mac is better for audio and graphics" with a sack of salt.

EDIT: I started my own thread at the AMD board.

http://forums.amd.com/index.php?act=ST&f=15&t=42637

A $5,000 Mac G5 is better for Photoshop only in some respects. They cost the same as an Opteron or Xeon based system though. For games they are absolutely pitiful and get owned by the FX-55: -

http://www.barefeats.com/image06/mvp-ut4f.gif

Mac = more expensive & less software available. They're also harder to upgrade. Unless you are specifically doing 2D graphic design then I see no reason at all to buy a Mac.

2nd hand talked a lot of sense.

i have a powerbook, its ok but they're over rated.

Macs, especially their laptops, are slow compared to a pc of about half the price, but the pc probably wont look that great (those 'doped out' pc's dee posted look hilariously bad).

an amd 64 laptop will piss all over my crumbly g4 but my powerbook survived flying off the roof of a moving car (don't ask) so there you go really, make an informed choice when buying.

And as for things like 'they're better for graphics' or 'have better timing for audio'...that's just straight up bullshit based on very out-dated half truths.

Edited by homecounties

Guest Deeswift

I think the Orac project has been running for a couple of years or something. The attention to detail is astonishing! Looks like he took all the giblets out of it and started rebuilding it or something though, cause last time I saw it there was components in it, I'm sure.

It's just a tool. People buy them based on all sorts of reasons, not necessarily logical ones. I've used my ibook everyday for almost four years. It's showing its age, but barely ever crashed, never had a virus. So they have their good points. The mac prices bite ass and they're definately limited in customization tho.

yeh the green part makes it look cheap and tacky.

but with everything ppl not only buy a computer based on performance bt also on looks (it should compliment the room that the missus has spent ages picking what colour she wants it and the man spending ages to wallpaper).

oh and tyra i think u r taking this cyber sex concept a lil too far :p

do what? what am i doing?????

have some jokes instead to get you in the mood.....

Q: Did you hear about the dyslectic agnostic with insomnia?

A: He used to lay awake at night wondering if there really was a dog.

Dyslexic satan worshipper?.........Sold his soul to santa!

Hear about the dyslexic pimp!.....................Spent a fortune buying a warehouse

or the dyslexic who choked on his own vimto??

Shouldn't take the piss really. My mate represented Britain in the Dyslexic Winter Olympics team............ he was a tobacconist.

Guest Deeswift

Keep the thread on point, please.

Some interesting benchmarks here: http://barefeats.com/macvpc.html

So from those, I can see that the Mac has a faster rendering time in some applications, but that's it. Otherwise, it pretty much gets annihilated, even by a modest Dell PC. Seems to me the best thing about Mac is OSX, and the fact that spyware isn't a problem (not that it really is on Windows either, for anyone who knows what they're doing). The looks are irrelevant. Yeah, you can have a nice looking sex partner but if they don't perform then what's the use. Plus the PC can be made to look awesome. Or you could just go out and buy a great case, even one that looks like a G5.

The thread I made on AMD got quite large.

http://forums.amd.com/index.php?act=ST&f=15&t=42637