WTK WORLDWIDE SCRATCH BATTLE 2010

muzzell

I mean this with the least amount of disrespect, but Le Jad, to my knowledge your some sort of dubstep or drum and bass producer or something, do you know how to scratch? I mean surely that is a pre requisite to judging a "scratching" competition.

You're right, I think I'm not qualified at all to give any opinion about scratching and competitions/battles. Especially because I've been deejaying for ten years, and scratching, and after that releasing 7 scratch tools (and soon 2 or 3 others and the mastering of I don't know how many), making thousands of scratch beats and working for turntablists since 6 or 7 years...

• Like 1

Why's everyone getting so mardy about this thing?

People entered a competition with a set of judges. The judges made a decision. Whether you think the decision is right or not, it's the judges' place to make the call. It's not the first time there's been controversial decisions in a judging process, and it won't be the last. Life goes on.

Props to Le Jad for coming on here and trying to explain things, although by rights he shouldn't have to.

I mean this with the least amount of disrespect, but Le Jad, to my knowledge your some sort of dubstep or drum and bass producer or something, do you know how to scratch? I mean surely that is a pre requisite to judging a "scratching" competition.

fail

To be fair the people with "dope" routines (gimmics) and no real style will fade from memory quickly where as the guys with real skill who can kill a freestyle will be known to the real heads.

Although I agree that some of the freestyle entries were some of the best videos (e.g.kurteek,fakser,mr brown) and some of the routines are forgetable.I have to disagree with you if you mean that routines are in some way inherently gimmicky. Gimmicks to me are spinning on the turntable, dismantling the deck or being the first person to scratch with a ventriloquists puppet or something. A below average routine is just that- below average- I dont think gimmicks have anything to do with it.

Routines like "adventures on the wheels of steel",ISP's "klams of death",Craze US finals 98,woody's "little samba" and muzzel's frank sinatra routine.. are not gimmicks at all - but an essential component of style. Routines are just one way for dj's to express that compositional streak - although there are others. To me the line between gimmicks/style is not the same as the line between composed/improvised.

Mr brown - is your video gone completely? would you ever consider posting it up under a different title so it doesnt show in the playlist. I can understand why you probably want to forget about it, but the video was dope and people would definitely want to see more of it.

^ I'd agree. If you don't know the specifics of scratching then a freestyle is pretty boring in itself but anyone can appreciate a routine. I don't see why such a split is being made between two pretty similar sets of skills.

Why's everyone getting so mardy about this thing?

People entered a competition with a set of judges. The judges made a decision. Whether you think the decision is right or not, it's the judges' place to make the call. It's not the first time there's been controversial decisions in a judging process, and it won't be the last. Life goes on.

Props to Le Jad for coming on here and trying to explain things, although by rights he shouldn't have to.

As its a discussion forum I think everyone has the right to their opinion on this. As for LeJad yeh I've already said props for coming on and giving it a go, but no one asked him to so if he does come on here and try to defend it then its only fair that other people get to disagree with him. I don't think its Mardy at all (I am using that from now on as in 'shut it you ya mardy bucket :(( )

P.S. Mike hyphen L is exactly right with what he said about routines, no one would even know about scratching or djing if it was just freestyles because you're average person does not want to hear that shit its for the aficionados.

I think Le Jad has a perfect right to judge a competition considering he has helped produce a world champion set. OK that's not my cup of tea and I wish people would go back to creating their own sets with old records but its an incredible achievement and takes an incredible amount of skill and knowledge of the artform!

As its a discussion forum I think everyone has the right to their opinion on this. As for LeJad yeh I've already said props for coming on and giving it a go, but no one asked him to so if he does come on here and try to defend it then its only fair that other people get to disagree with him. I don't think its Mardy at all (I am using that from now on as in 'shut it you ya mardy bucket :(( )

Haha you testy handle!

it's just that some comments come over like people are taking not being placed in the top 20 or whatever quite badly. These things happen.

• Like 1

Haha you testy handle!

it's just that some comments come over like people are taking not being placed in the top 20 or whatever quite badly. These things happen.

Aye they can happen and when they do it pisses you off! you narcy barstool!

Is the WTK thingy to find the best scratcher in the world? Given that every DJ in the world probably has the internet, it seems like a really easy thing to organise.

You need a level playing field i.e the same beat for all competitors. So I'd suggest some classic beats - perhaps 3 x 30/60 second freestyles over a slow, mid tempo and fast tracks to judge all round technical skill. And then allow the DJ to submit a scratch freestyle that best expresses their own style and maximises their own skill over any beat or beats they wish.

Record video, and sync with audio output directly from the mixer and upload to Youtube. At the most, you should have no more than 5 minutes of scratching to wade through for each competitor.

Judge and pick the winner accordingly. It's not hard. So why is everyone falling out? Too many cooks perhaps?

Is the WTK thingy to find the best scratcher in the world? Given that every DJ in the world probably has the internet, it seems like a really easy thing to organise.

You need a level playing field i.e the same beat for all competitors. So I'd suggest some classic beats - perhaps 3 x 30/60 second freestyles over a slow, mid tempo and fast tracks to judge all round technical skill. And then allow the DJ to submit a scratch freestyle that best expresses their own style and maximises their own skill over any beat or beats they wish.

Record video, and sync with audio output directly from the mixer and upload to Youtube. At the most, you should have no more than 5 minutes of scratching to wade through for each competitor.

Judge and pick the winner accordingly. It's not hard. So why is everyone falling out? Too many cooks perhaps?

people are falling out because the rules weren't specified clearly or in enough detail and because there's a very fine line between being a successful or disqualified applicant from the judges perspective. Next year they need to make it a lot clearer. It's too late now :) and don't let a forum judge the finalists to name the winner, only ends in favouritism and popularity. Solid decisions need to be made by the judges next time.

Again my apologies to anyone if I seemed out of line or a sore loser yesterday, especially towards le jad, as I was kind of directing my anger towards the judges/organisers as a group at him.

Time to move on.

and don't let a forum judge the finalists to name the winner, only ends in favouritism and popularity. Solid decisions need to be made by the judges next time.

Totally agree. Been there - done that. Never doing it again.

@ Le Jad, I know you have worked with various turntablists released records etc, I was just curious as to whether you actually did scratch yourself, like I said in the post, I mean no disrespect.

@ Mike L, I wasnt trying have a dig at all routines, and all the routines you mentioned come from people who can also kill a freestyle. I was more trying to imply that you cant just rely on having good routines, you need to be able to freestyle also, which admittedly many of the WTK competitors who did routines displayed. I just felt as if the judging criteria was a little off. But anyway thats for the organizers to decide not the competitors.

@Gizmo: Re a best scratcher comp, you're still gonna have disagreements over flow/phrasing vs technique/speed/power and the like. You'll never make everyone happy!

@Muzz i reckon there's been one or two on religion which have been pretty long.

what is annoying in this whole thing is that we have had no emails from the organizers. We had plenty leading up to the dead line with names and stats. No one seams to know what date the winner's will be announced and who made the final call. Is it just beat4battle France forum reader vote's or what.

what is annoying in this whole thing is that we have had no emails from the organizers. We had plenty leading up to the dead line with names and stats. No one seams to know what date the winner's will be announced and who made the final call. Is it just beat4battle France forum reader vote's or what.

I only found out about the forum vote thing cause sole 1 posted my video over there - so went to have a look at the site. I saw a post from J-one the other day which said there will be 5 judges and the sixth judge will be the forum vote.

@ Mike L, I wasnt trying have a dig at all routines.

cool, i thought that might have been the case... well at least i enjoyed cosntructing my argument for when someone does have a go at routines in general! :d

@ Mike L, I wasnt trying have a dig at all routines.

cool, i thought that might have been the case... well at least i enjoyed cosntructing my argument for when someone does have a go at routines in general! :d

And a good argument it was haha!

Edited by P-Nuts

Is the WTK thingy to find the best scratcher in the world?

No. It's not the best scratcher ever, it's just the best scratch routine on the official looper that has been done the year of the event.

and don't let a forum judge the finalists to name the winner, only ends in favouritism and popularity. Solid decisions need to be made by the judges next time.

Totally agree. Been there - done that. Never doing it again.

The forum B4B is a place where you can vote. This vote counts as only 1 and there will be 5 DJs giving their vote. So the B4B forum has 1 vote on 6 at the end. Last year it was like that, 1 for the board and a jury with Troubl, Eko, Fly, etc. I think the final vote was approximatively the same (DJs/board).

(it like DMC's vote, board gives 3 points to the first, 2 to the second and 1 point to the third, same for the jury)

Why this forum has a vote? because many things are organized on it, there's DJs from many countries on this board, and many people support and promote this event since the beginning, it grew up on this board. Last year only people who had at least 50 posts could vote. Now you need 0 post... it was a mistake (I don't know why it was 0 post this year but it was stupid) in my opinion. And what happened? girlfriends suscribed to the forum, DJs made their promo on facebook and by emails, many guys and girls arrived and voted with 0 post on the forum. It always happens like that in this kind of competition. Of course we see it in the results, some guys have amazing massive vote. Some of the guys made mailing lists and explained "step 1 you suscribe and wait for confirmation, step 2 you go to the right section, step 3 you clic on my name". Different votes from the same IP had to be canceled everyday (yes of course I know, I know).

SO, the vote has been erased now and the organizer will see if they ask 100 posts on the forum to have the right to vote. Or I don't know what kind of new rules. I would say : keep it, it'll show how stupid people are and won't change the final decision or put it in the garbadge. But stop changing rules again and again.

I did not make any of the rules and I did not organized anything so please don't kill me.

is there a prize for winning.

glad to see the beef has calmed down at last, i'd thought this would have got more scratchers talking to each other in a good way, rather than kicking off.