undertimed 2 click flares?

d00ban

dunno what the hell ive been doing with my 2 click flares all this time (coz i been doing em ages) but ive just got em to flow nicely over beats.

dunno if im undertiming em or what but i can finally get em to go over beats properly which lets me go in to 2 click chirp flares.

i always tried doing em by moving the record the same speed as 1 click flares except trying to shove another click in the space between, but it never quite sounded right.

guess i can post a vid if you dont get what im on about, not sure its worth it. im just happy i finally realised what was going on

think this might be the wrong place for this post in hind sight, dunno

you posted in scratch techniques if you get movede thats fuckin OOO!!!

two/three clicks is the scratch of champions! I ve been rocking mad patterns over electro using this fader movement....I think x2k metioned it in another thread recently, you really can get a whole flow from this or these. I guess what im saying is keep pushing it never ends!!!!1

Congrats mate, always good to see someone progressing.

Just incase you're interested this is the differeence between 2click flares and undertimed ones (as far as I know anyway).

Normal 2click flare : normal_2click.mp3

Undertimes 2click flare : undertimed_2click.mp3

Basically a 2 click flare has 3 sounds forward and 3 back so normally it has a triplet timing, undertiming is slowing it down but instead of by half so you have a triplet timing at half the speed it you slow it down until it changes to a 4/4 timing. The awkward thing with undertiming a 2click flare is that after 4 counts you're not back where you started, it actually takes 3 lots of 4 counts to get back to where you began. Of course I may have got it all wrong but I hope that info is useful to you (or someone).

Look forward to seen a vid of what you're doing ;)

When I do a normal slow 1 click or a normal slow 2 click I move the wax at the same speed.

However when I speed them up to what I call double timers

On the one click I move the wax twice the speed.

On the 2 click I couldn't keep up at twice the speed so I change it up 1 1/2 times the speed. To my knowledge and listening to other people cut this is what they do automatically.

Congrats mate, always good to see someone progressing.

Just incase you're interested this is the differeence between 2click flares and undertimed ones (as far as I know anyway).

Normal 2click flare : normal_2click.mp3

Undertimes 2click flare : undertimed_2click.mp3

Basically a 2 click flare has 3 sounds forward and 3 back so normally it has a triplet timing, undertiming is slowing it down but instead of by half so you have a triplet timing at half the speed it you slow it down until it changes to a 4/4 timing. The awkward thing with undertiming a 2click flare is that after 4 counts you're not back where you started, it actually takes 3 lots of 4 counts to get back to where you began. Of course I may have got it all wrong but I hope that info is useful to you (or someone).

Look forward to seen a vid of what you're doing ;)

yeah boy i think thats exactly it, its not actually doing it half / double ... which i only just realised yesterday. im just happy coz as foly says they got mad different flows that you can bust out. im just gutted i didnt figure this out earlier coz its realy not that difficult :)

just thought id post it up in case any one else hadnt made the connection (probably not very likely tho hehe)

yeah it's good stuff for sure and like foly says it's sic for electro cutting. Basically try keeping the fader movement going but changing the record movements like change direction some of the clicks and if you haven't already realised you basically got 2 click flares, delay 2 click flares (boomerangs?), autobahns and all kinds of mutent combos made up from them all by changing the record movement...it's a fucking excellent thing to learn.

What the fuck are guy's talking about?! Someone post an over timed flare

Basically 2 click flare orbits are "normally" done 6 sounds to a beat.

If you do 4 sounds to a beat it's "undertimed"

If you do 8 sounds to a beat it's "overtimed"

Obviously its doesn't have to be 4 or 8 but they straighten up the triplet pattern

If you really want a video I'll knock one up cos loads of people ask about different timings with the same technique - it's probably one of those things you do without knowing what you're doing though ;-)

• 1 month later...

It's just the timing... a 2 click delayed flare orbit has 6 sounds, so here's how those 6 sounds line up with different beats with idfferent timings.

Normal

1st beat - 123456

2nd beat - 123456

3rd beat - 123456

4th beat - 123456

2/3 Undertimed (2/3 meams you do 2 sounds in the time you would do 3 normal)

1st beat - 1234

2nd beat - 5612

3rd beat - 3456

4th beat - 1234

4/3 Overtimed

1st beat - 12345612

2nd beat - 34561234

3rd beat - 56123456

4th beat - 12345612

You can uner or overtime any scratch - 3/something or something/3 sounds often sounds funky because it often makes different parts of the pattern hit each beat, like in those last 2 examples where the pattern is a more regular 4 or 8 sounds to a beat rather then 6, but each set is different

Guest loop skywalker

Fucking hell Johnny...you got too much time on your hands...shouldnt you be practicing for the uk final!!!!!!!!!!! hahahaha

word Ive been doing overtimed for about a year and a bit now! just got into doing 3 clicks on the back of it and pushing it for longer! so you get a sort of 123-1234-123-1234 type pattern. its sick and I strongly suggest you try it!

• 2 years later...
Guest broke

Any tips for overtiming or is it just a matter of getting faster?

Im doing normal pinch technique.

Is it better to practice normal 2 clicks to faster bpm or overtimed to slower bpm?

Choose a double-time beat around 75-85 bpm and listen carefully as you do them. You should be aiming for:

1231 2312 3123 etc...