new advanced skratching techniques

muzzell

Ok so before you reply - forget style, funk or frazing for one min I wana talk about pure technique.

Since the delayed 2clicker (or as allot of us know it - the rafik scratch) was born, what new scratch has been stumbled upon? I don’t mean combos but a new pure scratch tech.

I started doing baby forwards then 2clicker or 3 clicker or crab on the drag then baby backwards and repeat the clicks. I thought this was new but saw a few French guys doing it in the last year or so. I think troubl calls it the delete scratch

Go...

so have you checked the scratolopedia breaktannica dvd yet?

it's not all that to be honest but there's some good stuff on there (mostly rafik's stuff). for example the reverse og flare, jackhammers etc. lots of clips are on youtube actually: http://www.youtube.com/user/DjHopies07

what i been stumbling into (influenced by rafik's autobahn i have to admit) is: http://www.zshare.net/audio/9583651fd8dc20/

1st half of a delyed 2click (or one boomerang so it's 3 sounds) to baby (or chirp) to 2nd half of the delayed 2click (or another boomerang, 3 more sounds)... so you get a 123 12 123 pattern

yer i seen that dvd and didnt see anything new. That autobahn ting everyone is trying to get is still a combo. Im thinking pure tech like a flare or chirp. I dont know what im on about really. just thinking out loud. I was thinking the other day about how you play other instruments and how they move the hand wrist and fingers.

yer i seen that dvd and didnt see anything new. That autobahn ting everyone is trying to get is still a combo. Im thinking pure tech like a flare or chirp. I dont know what im on about really. just thinking out loud. I was thinking the other day about how you play other instruments and how they move the hand wrist and fingers.

The only real technique avenue left to me now is hand tension...utilizing fingers & thumb and parts of the hand to colour your sound. Everything else is just combo expansion and not really new IMO. There really truly IS a limit in terms of *new* technique as we are only limited by back/forward & on/off. There are limitations just as any other instrument.

I have been working more on simple folding of basic scratches to find new ways to create rhythm and pitch without being so 'clicky'...I will try to post a basic video example soon...

Good post Muzzell!

cool cool. see back in 03 i was thinking the same "theres nothing else that can be done" then blam - rafik showed me and tiger the delayed 2clicker. I know theres unlimited amounts of combos but im just thinking maybe there still is one or two foundation cuts that we have missed. maybe...

init

what about up fader and click combos .. can't say i'm that tech my self , but just as a thought , kind of a tech alternative to using delay fx ... also with two people could get some mad delay esc / ping pong / panned and faded cuts .. maybe thats been rinsed already ?!?!.... thinking about panning , what about using panned cuts on stereo samples where the left and right channels are different samples .. has that been done ?

safe kut_class but all been done before. Check out some old scratch perverts and beat junkies routines and they do that double up effect with the same sample/drum.

the different sample on left and right channel is a cool tool. a few old battle weapons had samples like that. I thought about putting a section on donkeywork3 along those lines. Maybe having a melody going up on left and melody goin gdown on right both in tune with each other so they were hitting 5th 7th and octaves blah blah. You could then record your cuts onto computer and then pan them back to center and reap the rewards. one of the scratchy seal drum records had that kinda section and gave the drum sounds a bit more grit.

But anyway back to the main point...

cool cool. see back in 03 i was thinking the same "theres nothing else that can be done" then blam - rafik showed me and tiger the delayed 2clicker. I know theres unlimited amounts of combos but im just thinking maybe there still is one or two foundation cuts that we have missed. maybe...

init

I do hear what ur saying about the delayed 2 click...but then again that was something I stumbled onto on my own naturally....I think when so many people were connected by the net during a such big growth period...lets say from...96-2002 (very compressed in terms of advancement) made technique for scratching advance ALOT quicker than most traditional 'instruments' just through sharing knowledge...turorials and battle footage etc...because of this, I think the ground work has been pretty throroughly covered and its all anunciation and texture development and also refinement of combos by this point. I'd be REALLY surprised if there was anything that would shake the foundation of whats been developed...but it would be dope if that WASN'T true! :)

Guest broke

Speaking of delayed 2-clickers, there was some disagreement between myself and a couple of other people over on Gizmo's board about boomerangs/delayed 2-clickers. These guys are very much into the Q-Bert DVD and like to use the same names i.e. they call them boomerangs

Then one of them posted this:

I do a dcross between chirps and 2 clickers to give me a fairly original sound. Nothing majorly groundbreaking but no one I cut with really does it.

I also do a 2 clicker fader motion over the record movement that you would do on a one click flare chirp. Just combo variations though.

Alex Plato has a scratch he calls a boil which is nothing like anything else I hear or see. Again though I guess it's more of a variation of a flare.

Then one of them posted this:

i always called that the rafik scratch but in the last few years called it the delayed 2clicker cos everyone else was. but if q is saying its boom then i go with him.

@jim "flip flop" crabs do you mean reverse the pattern or your fingering?

I have a cut called the wave scratch that I've never seen done, it's a different type of double fader scratch. i'll try and get it on t'tube next week. there's gotta be some stuff out there still to discover like delay variations. also people have slept on some incredible techniques, i've never seen anyone apart from Woody himself use the woodpecker but it's got to be one of my faves as i sounds like nothing else! incidentally muzzell- what scratch pattern do you do right at the start of your 05 dmc set over the sample "we all know how the story goes"?

woodpecker is more of a party trick then a foundation scratch

"incidentally muzzell- what scratch pattern do you do right at the start of your 05 dmc set over the sample "we all know how the story goes"."

thats (what i call) the rafik scratch :rolleyes: Babys (in triplets or 6/8) with a 2clicker on top.

if were talking about combos then ive been doing alot of patterns in dotted 8th notes and other variations of that time sig. this makes you fit a pattern into a 4/4 beat 3 or 6 times. sounds kinda mad.

Guest broke
if were talking about combos then ive been doing alot of patterns in dotted 8th notes and other variations of that time sig. this makes you fit a pattern into a 4/4 beat 3 or 6 times. sounds kinda mad.

A bit like overtimed triplets?

init

I think there's room to learn a lot from Drumming rudiments for particular rhythms, & drumming hand positioning and stick control for actual fader techniques.

which i've been planning to look into, if i ever decide to bother practicin again....

the Autobahn Scratch is basically just a Paradiddle

RLRR LRLL

(following the example that ericuk guy 2tall mentioned

is this a definitive example?)

depending how you use your clicks or tears you can give em a different sound and feel

I started doing baby forwards then 2clicker or 3 clicker or crab on the drag then baby backwards and repeat the clicks. I thought this was new but saw a few French guys doing it in the last year or so. I think troubl calls it the delete scratch

Go...

but this is a combo too. so what are you saying? didnt babu say that there was no possibility to create new scratches, only ways to elaborate on combos and techniques?

Go...

but this is a combo too. so what are you saying? didnt babu say that there was no possibility to create new scratches, only ways to elaborate on combos and techniques?

yer i know :rolleyes: . thats where the thread ended up going.