more specific mixing questions

Vekked

ok, do you ever change the bpm of the track that's playing? like say the next track is 6-8 bpm slower, and I don't want to pitch it up quite that much, is it cool if I slow down the track that's playing a couple % so it's not as bad?

should I be beatmatching and everything completely in my headphones? or should I learn to listen to the monitor more?

say I'm playing a bunch of 125-130 bpm stuff, then I want to go back down to 95-100 bpm, or vise-versa, how do I do it smooth, or do I just kinda slam it in/echo out/stop turntable and make it as smooth as possible? or is there another way to switch bpm ranges fast that is a bit smoother? I try to scratch it in or something, but obv there's always that big speed jump, maybe that's not always bad tho

thanks! I think I'm just about ready for the Vekked Presents: Bitches Show Me Yo' Vajoin Vol. 1 mixtape

when i know there is going to be a fairly large bpm gap, i try to slowly change the speed f the record playing. try to find parts of the track that where it wont be too obvious, like at the end of a bar or start of a break down. Otherwise do it really gradually throughout the track.

ughh, why isn't there DIY mixing?

I guess you guys answered my Qs tho really, I'ma slow that shit down when it's playing, I dun give a fuck, and I'ma jus slam on the next track if it's too far of a range to mix proper... fuck the clublice

How was DMC vekked? Your listed on the DMC site.

It terms of the question try not to make it obvious that your slowing it down.

Just get tight with mixing cause playing out throws all kinds of problems at you

no monitors, crappy equipment and sound systems even in big clubs or events

I have played in the past these problems came up.

Oh and don't forget all the pricks who think they should be dj'ing instead of you

watching your every move.

How was DMC vekked? Your listed on the DMC site.

It terms of the question try not to make it obvious that your slowing it down.

Just get tight with mixing cause playing out throws all kinds of problems at you

no monitors, crappy equipment and sound systems even in big clubs or events

I have played in the past these problems came up.

Oh and don't forget all the pricks who think they should be dj'ing instead of you

watching your every move.

word thanks

I pulled out cuz my routine wasn't ready yet, my other heat was supposed to be in 2 weeks but it got postponed for another month, so I should be good for then, hehe

Guest broke
The only people that care about your mixing are other djs in the crowd.

and they're gonna be cunts no matter what mad skills you pull out of your ass

Oh yeah and that reminds me: most people don't want to hear scratching (or juggling) at a regular club night. Just play music they know so that they can get drunk and dance. You don't even really have to be able to mix it properly. The most popular, best paid DJs in my city that play all the exclusive parties full of hot models etc just play whatever is the cool thing right now and have probably never made a mixtape in their lives. Most of them play mp3s of mash-ups, B-more and ironic 80s hair metal. They wear New Era caps and bright all-over print hoodies (or old lady cardigans), tight black jeans and either dunk highs or converse. Get yourself an outfit like that and an mp3 of a Gun 'n' Roses / Outcast mash-up, make friends with a lot of promoters by sharing lots of your coke with them and you're good to go. It's basically the same thing as being a DJ in the late 70s only the music is much, much worse.

Oh yeah and that reminds me: most people don't want to hear scratching (or juggling) at a regular club night. Just play music they know so that they can get drunk and dance. You don't even really have to be able to mix it properly. The most popular, best paid DJs in my city that play all the exclusive parties full of hot models etc just play whatever is the cool thing right now and have probably never made a mixtape in their lives. Most of them play mp3s of mash-ups, B-more and ironic 80s hair metal. They wear New Era caps and bright all-over print hoodies (or old lady cardigans), tight black jeans and either dunk highs or converse. Get yourself an outfit like that and an mp3 of a Gun 'n' Roses / Outcast mash-up, make friends with a lot of promoters by sharing lots of your coke with them and you're good to go. It's basically the same thing as being a DJ in the late 70s only the music is much, much worse.

this might be the best advice I've gotten

yo, for making sure my volume's good before coming in... how should I go about that? cuz sometimes the volumes are sounding good in my headphones, then I cut the one track in and it's way loud or way quiet, so I adjust it while it's in the mix, but I imagine I should have it fairly close before I drop it in... do I start with the volume down a bit then fade it in until it's good or something? I guess it's better to come in quiet and go up, than vise-versa

yo, for making sure my volume's good before coming in... how should I go about that? cuz sometimes the volumes are sounding good in my headphones, then I cut the one track in and it's way loud or way quiet, so I adjust it while it's in the mix, but I imagine I should have it fairly close before I drop it in... do I start with the volume down a bit then fade it in until it's good or something? I guess it's better to come in quiet and go up, than vise-versa

LOL the most elementary stage of mixing... moreso even than beatmatching

And yeah, the elite will try and tell you that you can do it all in your headphones but I defy anyone to do that over a booming system (half the time it's hard enough to hear what you're cueing in the first place). It's all about the meters -yes, those flashy lights in between your channel faders have a use besides illuminating your fader hand for all the scratch nerds to admire! Set each track up so it peaks at 0dB WITH THE EQ'S ZERO'D and you'll rarely be far out. Do this every single time, use it as a religious mantra. NOTHING will piss off club owners quite like mismatched levels -bad beatmatching never destroyed equipment, only reputations

Use meters if you can and if your keeping your Xfader curve

on sharp then mix with the ups. Or use the Xfader curve on a

smooth curve. EQ and gain on the fly. Do whatever is more

comfortable for you. :)

All that does'nt matter anyway cause following on from broke's

advice.

Forget building up a record collection, learning to mix, cut and

juggle. Go on a reality tv show or get celebrity status somehow

and promoters will be scrambling to book you for gigs.

Works for most celebrities who fancy themselves as DJ's anyway. ;)

OMFG get me a bucket of water! this guys on fire

• 2 months later...

Pretty much exactly what Liam and 3D said.

It's all about dem meters.

Good headphones can help isolate outside sound, too. Not all the way, but substantially.

What will REALLY improve your mixes overall is keeping the mix going for a long time. It's usually a challenge with hiphop 'cause of the vocals colliding, but not with house and other electronic music that has minimal if any vocals. I'll mix two tracks for like 5 minutes, going in and out via upfaders, hi's, mid's, low's, etc. always keeping both records going. Once I started doing this, my mixing went through the roof. Being able to hold it and adjust consistently for a long time, just like skratching, does the trick. This is where you get full control.

Regarding transitions, shit, there are sooo many...have fun and explore: Long seamless mix, quick mix, trick mix, slam it, kill the platter, turn off the platter...all yield different sounds.

Mixing is fuckin' fun.

Peace.

• 1 month later...

All the suggestions above are great Vekked. I think it all has to do with what you're feeling at the moment in the mix, unless it's a programmed mix-sometimes, even programmed mixes require some last minute changes.

I'm quite happy to pitch a record up while it's playing but usually I'm a bit apprehensive about lowering it because up raises the energy down lowers it and unless you're playing to a bunch of smackheads that's probably not the effect which will go down so well. I will however mix in something half the speed, that seems to work well on a occasion then you can start building up the tempo all over again. There are however plenty of times when I've gone completely against what I just said and I will continue to do so in the future.

Just try shit and if it don't work don't do it again.