Vestax mixer survey

Just a few questions for heads out there if you've ever owned a Vestax mixer. Would much appreciate any replies

1. What model Vestax mixer do you have?

2. How comfortable are the faders to use?

3. Is the front panel clear enough to operate the faders?

4. How do you rate the fader curve controls? Is the range of settings wide enough?

5. Are the rotary controls (EQs, etc.) comfortable to use? Should it be more spacious around them?

6. Should the range of EQ settings be wider?

7. Do you replace any components more often than you think you need to?

8. Are the additions to this particular mixer (e.g. send and receive, Samurai digital faders) beneficial?

9. Is it suitably priced?

10. What could be improved?

11. Would you rather have bought a different mixer? (Yes/No)

Cheers

05 pro2 + 05 pro3

unmodded pcv's are shit. nicely modded ones are dope though

yes

4. How do you rate the fader curve controls? Is the range of settings wide enough?

cross fader should be a lot sharper

5. Are the rotary controls (EQs, etc.) comfortable to use? Should it be more spacious around them?

are coo

eq kills on 05 would be good

no

8. Are the additions to this particular mixer (e.g. send and receive, Samurai digital faders) beneficial?

send/ returns are a must. that's why i got the 05 pro3

yes

again: crossafder!!! basis of the pcv are good, but you have to really rip it apart to mod it. the opening/ removing rails etc should be easier!!

i would buy an additional ecler for the light fader for cutting, but the 05 pro3 will stay my standard mixer

05 pro mk 2, 08

the 05s were alright when I had it, but now that I've used doper mixers they're meh, the 08's are real nice tho

with the 05 I kept hitting the headphone controls when juggling, with the 08 I've brushed them a couple times but generally it's not a big deal

unmodded 05 is not that good, modded is alright, 08 controls are perfect

05s were OK, 08 is fine since the eqs are faders and stuff, and the knobs are well spaced also

05 - definately, 08 - no, they're awesome

05 I broke the fader 2-3 times in just under 2 years, 08 I haven't had long enough to know, no problems yet

yea the 08s additions are sick, I dunno what I'd use the matrix for quite yet, but I've been doing some cool drumming with it...

I'd rather get an sa-5 for cheaper than an 05, as for the 08, the cheaper the better, but it didn't cripple me

um... if I could have an eternal fader in the 08, or something else ridiculously light, then it'd be pretty much perfect... the 05s kinda dated

I would've gotten an sa-5 over an 05 in retrospect, cuz I ended up doing that anyways... as for the 08, it's the best choice for me personally, if I had infinite money I might consider the scratchbox, but it's like twice as much to get it in canada, and not twice the mixer of the 08... I'd get it over the 56 and hak 360 definately... if I wasn't going to use effects I'd get the hak 380 because the faders are probably a bit better, but the fx send/rcv is kinda messed... I might get a pro-x fade or some other 3rd party fader for it eventually, I wanna try it out first if I can...

07 pro

used to use pcv's and before that alps. alps was terrible, pcv was alright, now i use a pro x.

yes, for me anyway

crossfader curve is good enough for me, but i hate the way the upfader cuve already turns sharp at the bottom after only moving the knob 3mm

fine for me

wouldn't hurt, but im fine with what i have

yes, the crossfader

there arent really any additions, its a kind of bare mixer compared to today's standards

not really

fader curves

considering the quality/age/price of the mixer and the many good cheap mixers available today, i woulds say yes

I have a 05 SL with a pro-x fader in it. I wouldn't recommend one though. For the price the mixer lacks a lot of features like FX sends and returns, the volume fader curve controls only have three settings which aren't controllable beyond their three positions, no XLR outputs, no mid-eq, the PVC fader is crap compared to alternatives these days.

It just died on me a couple weeks ago too. Luckily its just less than a year old and I'm able to get it fixed under warranty, but if it were a couple weeks later I would have been screwed. The mixer barely leaves my house so this is pretty unacceptable! If I could I'd turn back the hands of time and return this piece of shit and I'd go with an Ecler 360 for $100 more.

IMO = If you're looking at buying a used mixer then you can't go wrong with a Vestax, throw in a PRO X and you're happy for a couple hundred dollars. But unless it's an 08 it doesn't live up to todays standards in DJ mixers.

Just a few questions for heads out there if you've ever owned a Vestax mixer. Would much appreciate any replies

Cheers

1- 07 Pro

2- very (but I also have a pro x in it..)

3- yes

4- better than a rane IMO

5- nah... good

6- wouldn't hurt

7- I had to re-sodder the internal power plug

8- pro x fade and I always put putty on the cross fader plastic piece so it stays on the fader stem real tight.

9- I got mine used for like $100...

10- not much... some efx or custom faceplates... sound quality possibly?

11- not really... altho I have been using my 909 of late.

Cheers guys, very useful. Liam mate, I've already got a Vestax - I'm doing a product study of my 05 Pro3 for my A levels and just need opinions of their mixers in general.

Vekked I'm going through the same problem with my headphone controls, they keep flying off mid-juggle

Edited by DJ Switch

1. What model Vestax mixer do you have? 06

2. How comfortable are the faders to use? PCV's Unmodded are gash. Modded they are decent but not amazing. I use Pro X Fader now.

3. Is the front panel clear enough to operate the faders? Yes

4. How do you rate the fader curve controls? Is the range of settings wide enough? Yes with the pro X fader. It's fine.

5. Are the rotary controls (EQs, etc.) comfortable to use? Should it be more spacious around them? A tiny bit more space may be nice but they are ok.

6. Should the range of EQ settings be wider? Yes. 2 Eqs and very weak EQs at that.

7. Do you replace any components more often than you think you need to? No.

8. Are the additions to this particular mixer (e.g. send and receive, Samurai digital faders) beneficial? Yes

9. Is it suitably priced? Yes, it is now. Was expensive when I bought it like 7 years ago but it was top of the range then too.

10. What could be improved? Sound Quality, Better EQ's.

11. Would you rather have bought a different mixer? (Yes/No) When I bought it there were no real alternatives except that shitty technics mixer so no.

Cheers

05 and 07

great

yes

fine

hmmm ok-ish

maybe, you would lose tight accuracy though doing thatm depends what you want it for eh?

not at all, i've only ever repalced the fader once ot a penny and giles and then regularily clean everything up so....no

no idea

so so

a rubber vagina on the front panel would be useful

no, getting an 08 soon and can't wait

Cheers

07pro

Ok, too heavy though, switched to penny and giles then after they kept snapping switched to pro x-fade (recommended!)

No complaints here, I'm happy with the layout

The range seems good enough but the CF curve control is a bit weird (it might just be my unit though), the setting is on tight cut for most of the range of the knob and the variable curve bit only takes up a small section.

07 eq's are sliders, they sometimes feel a bit delicate but I think they will last. The spacing is fine (although I haven't got fat fingers) and you can do nice EQ drumming effects (like the Pervs do sometimes), only danger is if you cut the EQ then want to drop it back in you gotta be careful you don't drop it in to hard, it's all to easy to do a massive boost and potentially blowup the bassbins lol

Range it fine, sliders a very sensitive tho, see answer to no 5

Currently I need to replace 1 upfader and 1 line switch, I used to replace crossfaders all the time but since I got the pro x I hardly ever even need to open it up to clean it.

FX loop is the one thing I really miss.

It's not such a bad price now but you could do alot better with the money you'd spend on it.

Better faders as standard, fx loop, better sound quality.

Yes although at the time I brought it a Rane would've been the only reasonable alternative, now there's all sorts of other great mixers available of this calibre and better.

mostly the same answers as discuss

1. What model Vestax mixer do you have? 06

2. How comfortable are the faders to use? PCV's Unmodded are gash. Modded they are decent but not amazing. I use Pro X Fader now.

3. Is the front panel clear enough to operate the faders? Yes

4. How do you rate the fader curve controls? Is the range of settings wide enough? Yes with the pro X fader. It's fine.

5. Are the rotary controls (EQs, etc.) comfortable to use? Should it be more spacious around them? A tiny bit more space may be nice but they are ok.

6. Should the range of EQ settings be wider? Yes. 2 Eqs and very weak EQs at that.

7. Do you replace any components more often than you think you need to? No.

8. Are the additions to this particular mixer (e.g. send and receive, Samurai digital faders) beneficial? Yes

9. Is it suitably priced? Yes, it was my first scratch mixer 20 months ago so a good starter mixer.

10. What could be improved? Sound Quality, Better EQ's, better build it RATTLES like mad.

11. Would you rather have bought a different mixer? (Yes/No) When I bought it, it was the cheapest decent scratch mixer I THOUGHT, I have a ttm56 now as well I would of gone for a sa5 in hindsight.

cheers

I don't think Vestax mixers are THAT bad. I owned an 05 Pro II for a bit. It wasn't terrible (although the stock crossfader really sucked, I used a PXF instead), although the upfaders were pretty stiff, they weren't the worst for cutting on. The EQ knobs could have been further apart and they could have had three band EQ, but since I only used it for scratching on, it wasn't the worst. Also, the 06 ain't terrible (it's not bad at all if all you're doing is scratching, and I like it because of its compact size), the 07 isn't bad at all (for anything), and the 08 is pretty sick. The 05 and 06 aren't too great though because the sound quality put out by those guys are pretty atrocious. Otherwise, I don't really have too many complaints about Vestax mixers. Ryan, I always see you bashing on Vestax mixers, but why?

Edited by drummy

Guest SirChick

ive never bought an actual mixer. I use one of these:

http://www.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/...BOSS+GT+-+8.JPG

though its a footpedal as such, it can be used as a mixer when you go through its GUI. Theres so many settings on it. I find it far better plus cos it has effects, you can apply the effects at the same level as your input from which u selected on the pedal, which helps keep it all equally mixed well. Ive had it for like 2 years now and aint even scratched the surface with using its features takes ages to get used to it all.

Though pedals are used on guitars etc... more and more people are experimenting with all kinda things. Like it has a warp effects reverse effects, octaves n pedal bends wahs etc... you can make very unique beats etc providing you use the effects tastefully.

But yeh does the job well in my opinion.

Edited by SirChick

Guest broke

05 LTD, the gold and silver one

they're fine, but none of them are the original ALPS faders that it came with

Sometimes I knock the cue volume up to max by mistake which is painful if you have headphones on at the time

it's fine, I hardly use the crossfader for mixing so I just need it to be on/off on each side

yes they're fine

I'd like a control for mid's

the upfaders have been replaced too many times. I also had an earth problem which I had to have repaired.

the pan fader was a special feature when this mixer came out but I almost never use it. I never use the hamster switch.

At the time (1998) it cost a small fortune.

After using the TTM57 for a while now, I find the 05 is a little bit too wide. The sound quality also needs improving all over. More importantly, when you switch it on you have to wait about ten seconds before any sound comes through... wtf?

No.

I also use the TTM57 but I still prefer the P&G fader for some styles of scratching so I still use the 05 for my third turntable.