Mp3's Are Killing the Whole Thing

mattnice

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a load of old claptrap.

Stop getting misty eyed and look at the positives. And the idea of DJ's playing 'the same tunes'.... BWAHAHAHA have you BEEN to a club in the last... uh.... well, ever, really? DJ's have been playing the same popular shit over and over since time immortal, it's always been rare to find someone who really digs to find unique shit. This will never change.

come see me play then

Well that's my point innit

Most of my sets are 90% original music with scratch sentences and melodies I created and reacirded.

Reacirded? Is that the Jamaican way of saying "recorded"?

Thanks Webster.

Thing is, it's all a moot point because no amount of moaning will stem the tide

What the music industry fails to grasp is that It's not about stemming the tide, it's about harnessing the enormous power of this fantastic new market.

I put it to you that although music sales are ebbing, interest in music is at a real high.

The music industry fell behind because of:

-greed, in the pricing of it's products (remember the prices of CD's even a few years ago?!?)

-failure to adopt new technology; the end user moved things forward pretty much by themselves.

...."the qualitys rubbish and there ain't no sleeves... do you think that's reasonable"

Remember when people had different records to each other .now everyone just downloads files so u'll end up with every dj playin the same tunes off serato etc.

dude, really dont follow that logic. i have access to more music now i have digital, i still buy vinyl i cant find as mp3's but 80% of a set is from final scratch.

i cant see any change to the variation and choice in music we've had on vinyl than there is to be on mp3's, only more coz anyone can make em.

the big boys (universal, sony, warner, paramount etc) have destroyed their own market by driving down the price of music, they'v done the same with dvd's now too, universal = free music from advertising, its pretty clear the path laid ahead!

If people have some rare amazing funk/disco ect that ain't touched just give them a re-edit and release them. People make a living off that.

In all fairness, if it weren't for people like Kenny Dope doing this, I would have probably never heard the Midnight Funk Theme by Manzel (amongst other tunes that he's re-edited), and I could have never told any of my friends about it. KD made the re-edit, my friend who are especially obvious hear and they're like "WOW THATS AN AMAZING TRACK," so as far Music goes, I'm all for represses, etc. That and I hate putting stickers and marking the shit out of OGs. Also, I'm getting kind of tired carying 4 crates to every gig, so serato seems like a very viable option. That's what Jazzy Jeff said (I can link you to the video if you want) "Serato doesn't make DJing easier, it makes carying vinyl easier."

I just downloaded the top 200 hits of the 90s via a torrent, for a highschool reunion i was DJ'ing.

I am thankful beyond all belief that I didn't have to purchase "Everything But the Girl" and "Dave Matthews Band" on vinyl.

here here

i'm generally against dwnloading music to play out and make money from, but when its pop shit i'd rather cut off my nob than buy, mp3's do have their place

I agree that internet piracy is killing the music industry, someone needs to tell these kids that if everyone does it there will be no more commerical music (prob a good thing come to think about it) as the record companies will eventually go bust. No companies= no purchasable music

On my recent trip to PA i was having a chat with my mate's dad who used to be a funk dj in the 70's and he made the point that music for the new generation of music lovers is just a file: its not something you can hold and treasure. There's no artwork, no sleevenotes to read, just a 3.5 mb file on your ipod that will be stuck in some folder on your ipod till its not cool anymore then forgotten or slam dunked into your recycle bin.

It looks like DJs are following the trend also, speaking to pski's family friend who's a philly record store owner made me realise how much traditional stores are dying out: they sell not even a third of what they used to in vinyl sales. Everyone just downloads the stuff for free and like matt says, if noones digging, there comes to a point where theres no dj as noone has any unique records.

I still buy wax and cds, and i admit i download the odd mp3, but its normally for demos, unreleased stuff etc that would never be put out on wax on cd or for sharing tracks in the making with other muscians. Since i've got serato i've started buying more cds as i don't have the time in college time to record my records onto digital format but vinyl will always remain the best format in my eyes.

Vinyl with cd sleevenotes and a one use mp3 download for the record would be the best format hands down.

What will be interesting is when myspace implement selling tracks through artist pages. It's the price that interests me the most. I'm sure the artists who manage their own myspace sites will keep the prices low but if it's a record company managed site, the prices will probably still be high.

While I would miss the shopping experience, buying an album from myspace for half the cost of iTunes and knowing that most of that money goes to the artist is cool. I don't know how feasible it is for the big companies as they depend on cash coming in for promotion, tours etc. And I wonder if myspace sales would count toward the charts?

At what price would you buy rather than download for free? Obviously £9.99 is a price many people won't pay but what about £4.99? That's a good price and a lot of cash going directly into an artists pocket.

Potentially it's something that could change the game for ever and frankly I'm surprised it's not been done on a larger scale before.

There are hip hop CDs going for stupid money on eBay. I tried to get Low Profile's "We're In This Together", but it went for about $300. Record companies could cash in by re-releasing stuff like that as downloads, especially if they did lossless as well as MP3 (like AllOfMP3.com does). I would pay if the price was right, the quality was right, and there was no shitty DRM.

Any artist who releases records and MP3's want to share their view ?

Is it all about money from sales, or does the longevity of your work count more ?

IMO MP3's seem to make music more disposable (how much shit has everyone downloaded, but NEVER listened to ). How many time have you flicked through your CD rack / record stack and pulled out a tune you haven't listened to for AGES.

... Don't get me wrong i do see the value of digital formats for creative purpose (FS/serato ) and marketing purposes. The conveiniace of delivery is a good thing - but i do kind of like the thrill of the chase - sometime i almost jump for joy when i track down records i;ve been looking for for ages.I do put value in the medium which the music is delivered in. I stopped buying CD's years ago and now ONLY buy records, cause i felt fucking ripped off that i could get the blank medium soo cheap ..IMO every record you get is a bargin - cause it would cost you £40-50 to make that shit yourself.

i read somewhere in this post, that someone d/l just for listening and not djing,

i think exactly the same, if its something i will just listen to, then i wont buy it, eg the pop stuff and some hiphop stuff im curious in

but for djing wise i only buy vinyl.

but if i d/l something that i want to use i'll go grab it on vinyl. might seem strange, but i've always wanted a big collection of vinyl

And is that being talked about Giz?.... That would be immense.

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2163659/...ownloads-doomed

Perhaps myspace could be good as a vehicle for unsigned or niche groups to get their stuff out. The author of this piece mentions still needed record labels for global distribution. Isn't myspace about as global as it gets? I guess though that to become huge - tours, interviews, media etc you still need a well oiled machine to organise that for you.

Will being signed become a thing of the past? Will it matter if you're signed or not? Sorry - the thread has been slightly hijacked here but in a good direction.

Definately... I wager Myspace's Tom Tit would be in getting his fingers into any cash that was changing hands.

Newscorp blud

One way or another the music scene is getting a massive and very much needed boot up the jacksie.

To go back to DJ's playing the same shit, I've decided this is TOTAL bollocks because now, you could collect ORIGINAL shit people have written themselves from the 'net (granted, this isn't piracy but it's part and parcel of the whole package). You could put together whole sets out of unsigned artists material, new, fresh, inventive material. This ability is a VERY recent development really, and a very encouraging one.

Jazzy Jeff's comment rings true, it doesn't make DJ'ing easier at all. If anything, it raises the bar.

If an artist had to search weeks to find the right paints, the painting would look no better than if the paint were right there, no? Food for thought, it's just letting the artist paint.

Plus, digital DJ'ing might finally move us away from beep ahhhhhh fressssssshhhhh sentences

so why are people still askin for the same samples to be uploaded.

im not hearing loads of people scratchin up ronnie corbett.

People will always use them same fuckin phrases.

And people will always play the same tunes.

i've been djin for years now and its been the same all the time.

so why are people still askin for the same samples to be uploaded.

I know, this one boggles my mind too

Getting Serato then cutting ahhhhh and fresh, using rips of battle wax and whatever is so pedestrian. But I got flamed for saying so in another thread.

My only suggestion is that the scratcherweb is full of n00bs and uninventive souls who haven't found their own sound yet

i use ahhs a lot because a) my only "scratch" vinyl is dj yoda cut and paste and b) its a nice constant tone so i can hear exactly what im doing with the vinyl. When i get better i will definately move onto samples, and when i do id rather pick something which i havent heard any1 else do. But at the moment im trying to copy others just to learn