Dj/turntablist Schools

Jon

I went to the Guilford ACM open day to check i had eveything i needed for applying for the course i wanted to take in a years time for my gap year, only to find the whole vestax dj school has closed due to lack of interest from students! So now i've got to find something else to do in my gap year.

Does the dmc dj school run my cutmaster swift still exist? Or does anyone know any dj schools abroad that have a good reputation? Pski whats the one you go to like?

I spoke to Jazz T(steel devils) and another guy straight afterwards, and they were saying it would probably be best just to take time off after school and spend the time to practice on my own.

I might take a part time music production course at ACM instead but i'm not too sure if i'd like it.

I'm also considering heading to nantes in france for a few months and renting a place. The place is full of sick djs i reckon i could have a good time.

Anyhoo its bloody nice outside so i'm going to go out.

Any suggestions would be nice.

Cheers in advance

rusty

also why dont you start your own?

FFS it would be a bit cheeky to start schooling people if you don't have the skills yourself

I reckon tuition ain't a bad idea. My flatmate is a real jazz head and it's an eye opener to see how jazz musicians tutor each other... you have to be at a certain standard to even ASK for tuition from someone and you pay reasonably for it, but the skills you pick up are amazing. A guy called Dave Cliff comes round every so often to tutor Jake, if he plays in the area. He's fucking amazing, a renowned jazz musician, he schools a LOT of people. In jazz, it's all about who's schooled you in what, what you've learned from who. It's a lot like sensai's in martial arts, or jedis and their padewan lol

I say instead of going to a DJ school, figure out what 'tablists in your area are willing to part with time for a little cash to school you properly.

i kno someone who did the production course u;re on about a ACM

he said it is amazing and u'll learn shit loads,

i'd say go for the production course and then just practice and teach urself scratcing

oh yeh?

i'd be doing the beginner one, from what i was told today rhey taught some decent stuff. I was talking to the guy about making your own samples and maniupluating them and stuff and he said it was a major part of the course, so i may give it a go.

altho djing is about personal style and preference, u cant get taught that, where as with production its the same but u do need to learn how to use all the software to make ur ideas into realality

yeh i think the production course seems the best bet. i'll have a look into it.

hey pski that ny scratch academy looks sweet. i might look into taking the advanced scratching course there, gotta find somewhere to stayt first tho haha

Rusty- u going year after next? I'm looking at applying to the BA Hons course for production... anyone any experience with that course? I'll ask phology in a bit, he went last year I think...

Rusty- u going year after next? I'm looking at applying to the BA Hons course for production... anyone any experience with that course? I'll ask phology in a bit, he went last year I think...

i'll probs be taking the one term introduction course to production thing around september 07

phology took the djing course at acm i believe.

• 2 weeks later...

Scratch DJ Academy, NY. I needed skillz in scratching to be a well rounded DJ (being prog / breakbeat dj). Other than that I found mates, supporters and lots of vinyls for free. Being in contact with high ranked dj's is what you can't get if you learn to dj at home, that was the real value for me.

I enjoyed it.

I don't really see the point in these courses. DJing is something you can teach yourself. It just comes down to understanding and practice. Production is a different thing altogether though.

yeh i agree. I'm self taught and i teach djing and skratching. I find that what i'm being paid for is to show some one a short cut. And i make a point of saying your not going to pick this up over night but what i can do is teach you and show you methods first hand to improve your skills and ways to widen your mixing/skratching vocabulary. and if they retain that shit, coo. i first of all try to find a students motivation for being a "dj" and hone the course in on answering those things. i dont make qualms about taking peeps money schooling them on shit they could possibly glean from vids,net, etc....

Mostly i just try to destroy preconceptions and prejudices about genres, even when i'm teaching a bod to beat match house, i will always impress on them the need to learn hip hop mixing skills, hip hop i stress is a backbone to whatever dance genre they mix. even when i'm teaching hip hop mixing, i try to use original breaks rather than hip hop rekahs.

I do feel lame though because there is so much to impart and the course i've done have been short and syllabased by someone else so i end up trying to just concentrate on a few things and show them first hand what they could use if they get their game on. I also put them onto websites like these.

I get a lot of joy out this shit and i recommend any half decent djs and Dmc cats out there to advertise and take on a young padwon for cash and joy. the reason i post this here more than any where else is because cats getting into djing need to be shown the right shit not some DJ mag closetted crass fadist shite. I got mad haps when some girl came down from Luton to learn techno cdjing and left the course making friends with some croydon rude girl both getting into and totally feeling silver age hip hop. The power of Main Source, Tribe and EPMD! They had never heard that shit before and were totaly feeling it. Any hoo, peace to all cats and let your light show the way before you and them.