Digging Tips?

Guest Vekked

yo anybody have any digging tips/strategies/methods or anything?anything you look for & that when you dig? or do you just pick out records that look cool and hope for the best?

usually I look for old ass jazz, the older the better, because the older it is, generally the worse the drum recording is, so you can sample/scratch almost any of the instruments without getting the drums... I also look for old sound test records for needles and cartridges, they're like old breaks records, some even have pitched tons so you can needle drop melodies & ish... anything spoken word is pretty obvious for voice samples, like doctor's records, and poetry ish

also when I'm going through like proper rock or pop records or something for samples, and there are a lot of drums, I generally check all the intro's, outro's, and any visible breaks, rather than listening through a bunch of stuff that'll be useless anyways...

but yea, anyone know any good places for strings (violins etc.) or organ samples, like funky/jazzy organ similar to what DBQ uses? I usually have no problems finding horns, and flutes, and not too bad at finding guitars, but strings and organs evade me, I always get cheesy crap or classical with organs, and strings I usually find in classical music, which is alright, but I'm looking for solo'ed stuff, rather than big orchestra's so much... ideally I'd like to find the razorblade alcohol slide viola again, lol, cuz it sounds perfect

but ya, bust your digging knowledge

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

umm i've started digging online on boomkat.com finding records i like, then i have a huge idea of what stuff i want to look for when i go to actual record stores.

I do tend to go for records with nice covers, i like so art, and usually if i like the artists artwork i tend to like their music, bit silly but it works for me.

But as for sample digging i go for children's records and comedy records, i'm going to start digging old jazz too.

go into charity shops. there are so many gems to be found there! tkae $10 out a session and buy as many as you can and then take them home and give them a listen. if they are crap take them back so you dont clog up your house with junk. they are cheap enough to do this every week and you should end up with 3/4 half decent records a week

Some tings I always try to do (with 45s) is learn the labels/producers... that can be a good hint as to what ya gonna get when just flipping through... the best advice tho is to bring a portable record player... and listen to everything that looks interesting... second best tip: look for dates--years from 1975-1979 have the best funk/soul... earlier for more like motown type stuff and early funk (james brown, etc)... if you every see anything by sun ra pick it up.. they did lots of small runs and most were hand painted... I think dub plates are always cool just b/c it's a dub... don't know about jazz.... but my gramps says there are lots of dutch jazz shit that was unreal in the late 50s, early 60s...

I do love those "speaker test" records.. I also collect political speaches..

Look for 70s music of all genres, especially the stuff with nice thick basslines. there is a world of samples out there to find. fuck that 30s jazz shit. charity shops are generally wack unless you like to sample simon and garfunkel or mantovani. look in second hand record shops and try and blag your way into the stock basement, thats where the good stuff is.

Whenever I go diggin I dedicate a whole day and hit up as many thrift stores as possible. Here in Ontario we have a place called Goodwill and they have a bunch of locations around the city and subburbs. They're pretty much like 2nd hand superstores. I try to bring my Handytrax as often as I can and sort through the bins and pick out anything that looks interesting. Reading the back of the covers sometimes gives some good insight to what you might expect to hear on it and cool cover art is usually a good sign. I avoid all compilations/bigband cause they all suck and try to stick to whever is appealing by instinct. Solo instrument classical style albums are usually good too. A test record or sound FX record is nice to come by, but pretty rare.

you definatley need the portable thats for sure, i do the car boots every weekend in spring an summer , the finds can be off the hook and you pay next to nothing, also get real freindly with the folk at your local second hand record spot, i have one were he saves stuff for me to listen to when i come in , he knows the kind of thing i like and after getting to know em well they started letting me go through the boxes that were yet to go out on sale, a bit like the scene on scratch with shadow but on a smaller scale, got loads of gems like that and it all comes from just being friendly . as a rule of thumb for me though its anything between 1969 and 74 i seem to find the best stuff from, all genres.

i started by researching and digging for orignal samples of my favorite hiphop songs. from there, i got other material from the same artists, the branched out by year, record label, producer, checked out the other people on the record and keep goin on from there. its a perpetual cycle but im glad i got into it. i never used to dig, always just swooped up on new sh*t and represses but its made my passion for djing double.

peace

there any good haunts in leeds for digging about??

or dont u wanna share em with me??

think it might be good for me as i have no money to buy new records really - its starting to get me down so any help wud be much apprechiated