BOOMERANG SCRATCH?

jsong56

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's interesting how the people that can scratch well are the ones saying "fuck that method of learning - just scratch". How did you guys learn? You never asked a single question? You "just scratched"? If you did then fair play, but I would guess at some point you asked someone how a scratch was done, read it somewhere or learned from someone else you practiced with. There's nothing wrong with wanting to understand how something is done - it shouldn't be a secret. Asking questions is part of what forums are for!

To me the TTM is flawed for notating routines, but for single scratches it's fine. It's easy to understand. The problem is, it's getting to the point where people are saying "this is how you do this scratch" and someone else says "no, THIS is how you do it" and it's all turning to shit. That's when the same old conversations become tiresome.

Where did the name "boomerang" even come from? I watched the freestyle video where D-Styles does it and it's definitely not any of the things anyone has suggested here, although I can't figure out exactly what it is. Who says that's a boomerang anyway? Also, if it was just a transformed baby, people have been doing that since the late 80s and I've never heard of a boomerang until threads on Asis started to appear about it.

Chile - that diagram is incorrect too. ;)

/ \ / \ / \ / \

That's the pattern. You're not just briefly clicking the fader off at the end of the sound as that diagram implies. You're chopping out the part where the record changes direction.

Yeah, I definitely learned a lot from asking questions, watching, reading tuts and forum responses. I think I may have learned most by straight up practice. I don't mean practicing for like an hour, I'm talking when you hit the 3 hour mark. Man, that's when the progression really goes off the hook. You're just so focused and submerged, you can't help but progress. It's one thing to practice often, it's another to practice for several hours in a row. You just get in that fuckin' zone and get ultra deep. Man, I miss those days. I need something other than drugs to get me there, any ideas?

Oh yeah, sup Steve?

Peace.

How are you J? Ain't seen you around for a few weeks man.

What do you think about when you're practicing? I don't particularly think about anything - certainly not what scratches I'm doing. It's sort of like a trance sometimes, especially when I use a beat looper and leave it playing endlessly.

I don't use drugs (bit of beer now and again maybe) but I get inspired by listening to music/scratching or watching a video. I watched some of BLT last night and it got me hyped up to cut. Cutting with other people brings out the best in me too, no matter what skill level they're at. It's just not as much fun on your own.

I think understanding scratches is important because if you can hear any cut and think "I know how to do that" then that's the first step in actually doing it. Practice is just improving on that. When I first started scratching, there was no Internet, tutorials or anything. I learned the basic stuff the hard way and it took a fucking long time, but I found that when I showed other people how to do things, they'd soon catch up with me. Also, you know the zig-zag scratch? Well I mistakenly thought that was done with one hand and spent fucking ages trying to do it, but couldn't. I saw DIY and how it was really done and within a few minutes I could do it. To me that shows how not understanding something can hinder you, no matter how much you practice.

Hey Steve,

I'm gonna start stickin' around here...this place is productive; Meaning, it's not just hoo haw talk all the time, there's like some edumacating going on, which is dope. I love to learn man, love it.

Anyways, lately while I've been cuttin' I've been actually thinking too much, which isn't good. Before when I use to puff, I would just get in the zone and flow. I was feeeeeling it. It was great. I tell you though, my finger dexterity is much better now though that I don't puff, I just want to be able to get that funk back then it will be off the meter.

And I agree, you can really learn a lot from others, for sure. Whether it be in person, videos, net, etc. (as I've been doing for ages). Now I'm trying to learn by listening, which is cool 'cause it's a good skill to develop. Same with beats...I just really listen to what's going on, break it down into the individual sounds, think about the count, etc.

Okay, I'm gonna do some reading now (in my book), so I'm off. Nice talking to man. I'll be back soon.

Peace.

I think I may have learned most by straight up practice. I don't mean practicing for like an hour, I'm talking when you hit the 3 hour mark. Man, that's when the progression really goes off the hook.

I developped a lot doing that...RSI for a start :(

Guest Deeswift

Justin! Always good to see you over here man.

It's interesting how the people that can scratch well are the ones saying "fuck that method of learning - just scratch". How did you guys learn? You never asked a single question? You "just scratched"? If you did then fair play, but I would guess at some point you asked someone how a scratch was done, read it somewhere or learned from someone else you practiced with. There's nothing wrong with wanting to understand how something is done - it shouldn't be a secret. Asking questions is part of what forums are for!

Come to think of it, I don't think I've asked anyone how a scratch was done (not with the intention of learning the same scratch myself anyway). I totally agree though -- there's nothing at all wrong with asking questions. I'd rather work out my own patterns or techniques and achieve similar effects to how a certain scratch was done, rather than learning the scratch and doing it the same way as other people.

Regarding notation, well I have seen lots of people using it and if it helps them, that's great. The problem with it, is I've seen a lot of people go on about notation and they have a good understanding of it, but when it comes to cutting, they are useless. It's all good, having an undrstanding of a load of dots and lines on paper, but if you can't scratch, forget it!

Yeah, but I do think understanding comes first. If you can understand say a flare, you can practice it and eventually become good at it, but if you don't get how to do it at all then you're gonna be screwed. Believe me, having read many posts on DJForums I understand how confused people can become about how certain scratches are performed - even simple ones! lol. Anything that helps people learn is good IMO, even if it's not to everyone's taste.

I changed my mind about the TTM having looked into it a bit more, although only for specific scratches rather than routines.

The problem is, it's getting to the point where people are saying "this is how you do this scratch" and someone else says "no, THIS is how you do it" and it's all turning to shit. That's when the same old conversations become tiresome.

Word

I'm also kinda glad that it's you that pointed it out, kinda shows how times have changed.

Pz

yo steve or ryan did u see that thing d done on the blt dvd?

what the fuck is it?

thats what i was told was a boomerang, a few times. here and on asis...

anyways, fuck what it is...im just trying to figure it out cuz it sounds nuts.

To me the TTM is flawed for notating routines, but for single scratches it's fine. It's easy to understand. The problem is, it's getting to the point where people are saying "this is how you do this scratch" and someone else says "no, THIS is how you do it" and it's all turning to shit. That's when the same old conversations become tiresome.

Where did the name "boomerang" even come from? I watched the freestyle video where D-Styles does it and it's definitely not any of the things anyone has suggested here, although I can't figure out exactly what it is. Who says that's a boomerang anyway? Also, if it was just a transformed baby, people have been doing that since the late 80s and I've never heard of a boomerang until threads on Asis started to appear about it.

Chile - that diagram is incorrect too. ;)

/ \ / \ / \ / \

That's the pattern. You're not just briefly clicking the fader off at the end of the sound as that diagram implies. You're chopping out the part where the record changes direction.

lol.. steve... the pattern you just gave is the pattern i just gave ... the dots represent the fader being closed at the point its placed at.

Babies under trans forms equals a boomerrang

a chirp to a flare is a chirp flare

half chirp half flare started backwerds is a flirp

Its all hard to describe.

I can either say Play an "e" and a "b" another octave up "e" and put in a "g" as the highesrt note. Or I can say Play an "E Chord! You have to establish a term and defintion to easily communicate ideas to others.

your scratch logic seems quite messed up..

Regarding notation, well I have seen lots of people using it and if it helps them, that's great. The problem with it, is I've seen a lot of people go on about notation and they have a good understanding of it, but when it comes to cutting, they are useless. It's all good, having an undrstanding of a load of dots and lines on paper, but if you can't scratch, forget it!

A friend of mine has been trying to learn this Einaudi piano piece latly in classical form notation. She must be crap cause she hasnt learnt it yet.

Yeah but Chile it implies a momentary click off of the fader and it's not that. It's the same as this: -

chirp.jpg

When you do a chirp you're closing and opening the fader more where the arrow is here: -

chirp2.JPG

If you did it as in the first image you'd get no definition to the sound.

Guest Deeswift

A friend of mine has been trying to learn this Einaudi piano piece latly in classical form notation. She must be crap cause she hasnt learnt it yet.

Kick the shit out of her.

yo steve or ryan did u see that thing d done on the blt dvd?

what the fuck is it? 

thats what i was told was a boomerang, a few times. here and on asis...

anyways, fuck what it is...im just trying to figure it out cuz it sounds nuts.

sup doodz...jsong, he's doing the delayed two clicker that cocoB gave us at scratch development, i'm sure of it...

gabe, there's flares where you catch the turns and then there's flares where you catch the ghost or phantom clicks there is a subtle difference in the sound yet its still a 1 click flare fwd and rev...

all this is posted at scratch development

is this not the flirp?:

i also suggest reading this post, and let me know what your thoughts are:

http://www.asisphonics.net/ubb/ultimatebb....t=000067#000007

sup steve, i havent cut with you in a while, when are you going to be on skype ?

Edited by theturntablehermit

How are you mate? I've been on Skype a few times recently but it makes my PC go super slow and I have to exit it. I've looked on the forums at the Skype site and it seems a few people are having problems like this with the newer versions. If I can get it sorted out I'll be on there more often.