I just bought...

If youre on this forum and you sold me this Rodec, kill yourself and learn how to package something

Jesus Christ on a pogo stick! This is a common issue in the arcade world too. You have this rare, delicate electronic equipment and for some reason people think they can just throw it in a box with no padding and it will magically arrive. It's not rocket science, all you need to do is use some bubble wrap and newspapers.

Kid you not, one thin layer of bubble wrap youd find around a tv remote was wrapped around the mixer in a box with empty space.

eBay says he has until tomorrow to respond.

Im eyeing a synth purchase to go with a few pedals i have next. Torn between a slim phatty or Roland se-02

My rule of thumb is to put paper or other filler in the bottom of the box, bubble wrap the item, place that in the box, then add enough paper or other filler around the sides and top so that the box is slightly overfull. Then, when you close the box and tape it up you're compacting the filler and preventing the thing you're shipping from moving around, plus adding cushioning (both of which are really important). I swear, some of these savages don't even think at all about what they're doing.

Guest petesasqwax

Torn between a slim phatty or Roland se-02

Both are excellent choices, but it depends what you are expecting from them. I'm a huge Moog fan boy but sold my Little Phatty without shedding a tear, whereas I was gutted to have to part with my Minitaur and will replace it in the very near future. The issue is that the LP (and SP) suffer from having too few dials, meaning that they have to share functionality with other features. It sounds picky, maybe - still a great load of Moog sounds - but what was effectively simplified menu diving felt like a barrier between me and noisefilth. I've never owned an SE-02 but have heard (and heard about) great things. I'm never going to find it easy to recommend something else over a Moog, but the array of dials for all functions make the 02 very appealing. That said, you could get a secondhand Minitaur AND a Werkstatt (with CV expander) for the price of an 02... or a Mother 32 instead...

Feel free to totally ignore me, of course - what 2 people want from a synth can be drastically different.

• Like 1

Feel free to totally ignore me, of course - what 2 people want from a synth can be drastically different.

Thanks for the input. Ive been looking into the Minitaur as well. Im scared of the mother 32, it will open the modular door for me. Ive read about a money pit being behind that door

Guest petesasqwax

The beautiful thing about the Minitaur is the dual oscillators which give an incredibly thick sound. Obviously, being a bass synth it's limited in the range of octaves it covers, but that just means that it does exactly what it does very, very well.

I hear you about the M32, though - it's not a wormhole down which I can afford to disappear either - which is why I've not bought one or a 0-Coast (yet)

I just wanna know why analog synths are so expensive. Is it limited supply compared to demand? New ones not being produced? Old ones were super expensive when they came out? I keep an eye out on my local Craigslist and stuff but the cost barrier to entry is too high. I just bought 2 tables, a mixer, flight cases, extra cartridges, control vinyl, and an audio interface-- and for what I spent on all of it put together I could buy like half of a moog. WTF is up with that.

Must be shit decks then, or you got a real bargain,you can get a mini moog from behringer for $230, if you want a Moog for its name then you pay for the name, if you want vintage analogue you pay for the collectability.

Analogue is about the same price as digital, a good mini moog vst plus a knobby controller is similar price to an analogue one from behringer.

Begringer are cunts though.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

Werkstatts are less than £150 secondhand, Minitaurs are going for £275 (and even less than £250) currently and Slim Phattys are going around the £350 mark. Mother 32s aren't going for a load more than that, likewise even DFAMs.

Sure, there are models that would cost the same as a decent secondhand car, but there are plenty of options that wouldn't even cost you the tires for it...

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

Just got myself a Tascam Portastudio 464 for a very nice price. Just gotta get some tapes now & get cookin'

I have an idea I want to try that involves a 4 track, looped tapes and single notes recorded to each channel so that I can make drone chords by bringing channels up and down...

Just got myself a Tascam Portastudio 464 for a very nice price. Just gotta get some tapes now & get cookin'

I have an idea I want to try that involves a 4 track, looped tapes and single notes recorded to each channel so that I can make drone chords by bringing channels up and down...

Like this..

Guest petesasqwax

Fucking YES! Exactly like that only using tape loops because ain't nobody got time to record 15mins of each note! Plus I want to rig the speed controller to a mono 3.5mm jack so I can control it by CV to hit specific notes (so I can play more than one chord without changing tapes)

• Like 1

Fucking YES! Exactly like that only using tape loops because ain't nobody got time to record 15mins of each note! Plus I want to rig the speed controller to a mono 3.5mm jack so I can control it by CV to hit specific notes (so I can play more than one chord without changing tapes)

Yeah bwoy, that sounds much better. Awesome use of the machine though.

I'm planning on using it as a primitive audio interface so I can EQ my stuff without tracking them separately sort of thing...

Hoping for a bit of nice analogue tape compression too

Providing it works ok. Haven't had chance to have a go yet