I just bought...

Yes! Some beautiful choices there. David - your setup looks awesome! I've been following the progress on Instagram :)

Flexi - I don't think I can praise AUM or Audio Damage stuff enough. Outstanding apps and AUM is totally unparalleled as far as I'm concerned.

I finally got Audioshare to install on my sub-iOS 10 devices today which could well be the most important thing I've installed on there!

Happy to see you like it. That OBS setup is more for learning than teaching (teaching myself?) but I plan to do something similar for iPad producing with BlocsWave, Stagelight, Garageband... and maybe for live gigging tools. I need to test first before record tutorial series since I want to teach what I have confirmed by myself is worth. ATM iOS still seems unreliable for that purpose so maybe I end buying a rc505 or similar, pointing to Stagelight or Ableton... IDK but just proved tools. ;)

@Flexinoodle Sorry to hear those bad experiences. Mine is through audiobus forums and I learnt how to express myself for certain expected feedback which most of the time means directly no express my ideas or bugs at all and just look elsewhere. My Kymatica dev experience was more in the mood which Pete described but I never push him so hard neither. iOS development are muddy waters lately IMO due to all the changes seems being running under the surface (lol) related to Apple strategies and hardware improvements... so expect more shitty relative performance than iPhone4s era and lets hope for some true improvements (includding bugfixing and competition) for the 2019.

I use very few apps lately and never outside studio environment where I can repeat my work when iOS wrecks itself for non logical reason (like GUI cpu priorization or similar). I will end buying a hardware sampler in some moment, I can feel it...

For reference

Audio Damage plugins are unstable on IOS, you can check various forums for that, chris randall even admits it, well chris usual version of admiting it "It's Cubasiss/Beatmakers/Aurias fsult" there is a reason he cant post at forums like KVR anymore lol.

I didnt say the developer of AUM had bad support, i said he was an uppity prick and he is, he got a shit on because the files.app basically replaces most of audioshares usefullness, so instead of supporting files.app fully like every other developer,he stomped his feet and refused to support the move command, so whenever you move files between audioshare and files, it duplicates, without telling you lol, his response "No it doesn't" uppity prick.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

Yeah, it definitely seems like an interesting time with iOS development. The spread of devices people are coding for seems to be extreme, meaning that there are a lot of steps for developers to consider other than "what can my top of the line latest model of iPad Pro handle?" I'm not convinced all of them do this, though and simply limiting things to specific iOS versions isn't taking into account the limitations of some of the devices that can access the latest OS

• Like 1

On Black Friday I purchased cotton buds,, some isopropyl alcohol and cleaned my SP-404...XbbIHDl.gif

Flash bastard!

Wait until I get my new Chroma Caps then I'll be a really high rolling mofo..

Pull off fat knobs FTW!

I did end up buying a Rane SM82 for a whopping $100. It's nothing too exciting but it's been good for me.

The cool thing about it is that it automatically splits any mono signal input to the left and right output channels for the both effects loop and master out (easy conversion from mono to stereo). It also automatically sums a stereo signal to mono if you only hook up the left output of the effects loop or the master out (easy conversion from stereo to mono). This way you can hook up all your outboard stuff and not have to worry about whether its mono or stereo. I constantly run into this type of thing with guitar effects pedals, drum machines, etc. Oddly enough not many mixers do this and its the main reason I bought this. Stereo "summing" DI boxes are like $85 a pop and only do one channel (this has 8). This has allowed me to ditch my "Y" cables and do "proper" mono-to-stereo and stereo-to-mono conversions.

The other thing is that if you run an outboard compressor through the effects loop it's nice for parallel compression because it has wet/dry effects "send" sliders for each channel.

The only thing I find lacking is a headphone jack.

x08fw051n2kstkdpn2qx9esk74.jpg?w=1080&h=

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one JB. I bought one myself after reading your post (got mine for CHF 90.--).

Really digging it so far

I got this sucka hooked up over the weekend with the Oberheim DX drum machine and two DBX 160x units to compress the drum machine in stereo and it's been pretty nice. It's sounding "right", or close to it. Nice and clean.

Eventually, I may run the 6-outs from the Oberheim into 6 of the channels and get fancy setting the stereo fields, put some reverb or delay on the snare, etc. I also want to upgrade the Oberheim with MIDI so I can sync it to my looper pedal.

Overall, it's just nice to be able to actually hook shit up and get nice clean signals instead of constantly shoehorning everything through my scratch mixers.

• Like 2

Guest petesasqwax

"By the way, I've got a pair of classic compressors and I run my legendary drum machine through them because I'm an OG and that's how I roll"

Translated your post, JB.

• Like 2

You know, it all happened really organically. I bought the drum machine because it just so happened to come into my homie's store and he let me try it out for a few days. I never would have sought one out. I always liked the sampled drums way better. But I got sprung on it because I could make a beat in literally 2 minutes and then scratch practice over that so I bought it and fixed up all the buttons and whatnot. The thing is, I could never get it sounding as loud as a record. By the time the kicks and toms are sounding loud enough you're way in the red. On the other hand, you'd get this crazy-ass trunk rattling low end that you could never hear without a sub, which was cool but unruly. Just raw inaudible power! So, I was watching that Paul C documentary posted here on DV and they talk about 808 kicks and how the compression was a huge factor in getting them to sound good. Yo! So, ... I went back to the shop and got a compressor to try out. The thing is, it was the wrong kind of compressor for drums and it wasn't hitting. So I returned that and started looking for something that would be good for drums. Turns out that in the Paul C documentary, they happen to say he was using DBX 160 compressors. They're only like $150.00 ($200 tops if you want a super clean one). i bought the first one to check it out and liked it so I bought another one to run stereo. I'm still experimenting but I'm starting to get somewhere now.

It sounds like overkill, like, "why not just record the beat to your computer, apply a virtual compressor and save yourself $300-$400 in equipment"? Because by the time I do all that I'm bored as hell! It's so much more fun to press buttons and turn dials for some reason, and the whole process takes like 3 minutes and you're scratching.

So, I'm probably $700-$800 deep in this drum machine by now. I'm not sure it's really worth it, but it's way more fun (to me) than sitting in front of the computer. If I get bored of it I can probably sell all this stuff and even make a little money.

• Like 3

Guest petesasqwax

Ah, that's excellent! You don't need to explain the appeal - I'm with you 100%. I know I could do most of what I do inside the box, but I don't have any inclination to do that. Part of it is the tactile element and not having to look at a screen, and part of it is that extra 5-10% that software can't replicate. After I played an ARP 2600 I spent weeks sourcing a spring reverb unit and building an enclosure for it. I knew I couldn't afford a 2600 any time soon, but I also knew that a lot of what I loved about that sound was the reverb. I never even bothered trying out effects plugins - I wanted the real deal so that, as well as the beautiful reverb, I could slap it and hear it rumble back at me. I'm not claiming that outboard is always better; it's just often better for me.

• Like 2

It sounds like overkill, like, "why not just record the beat to your computer, apply a virtual compressor and save yourself $300-$400 in equipment"? Because by the time I do all that I'm bored as hell! It's so much more fun to press buttons and turn dials for some reason, and the whole process takes like 3 minutes and you're scratching.

Real talk.

I admire a man with principles and a true understanding of life's priorities.

Ah, that's excellent! You don't need to explain the appeal - I'm with you 100%. I know I could do most of what I do inside the box, but I don't have any inclination to do that. Part of it is the tactile element and not having to look at a screen

I honestly don't know if I'll ever be able to make music using computers..every time I've tried it feels so unnatural and in certain cases completely unnecessary too.

The main reason is because I want to be able to execute what I do with samples- and a sampler live...I want to have that same interaction with the instrument like I would playing a guitar or a keyboard.

Otherwise I'd honestly give up altogether.

Which reminds me of this..

I remember reading a cool story some years ago where Johnny Marr and Bernard Sumner were working on the second Electronic lp and they'd asked Karl Bartos from Kraftwerk to come and work with them on the record.

Marr or Sumner had actually gone out and bought the latest top of the line Mac computer for the sessions and were eagerly awaiting both Bartos' arrival and no doubt approval on their latest addition to the studio.

Anyway Bartos eventually turns up, takes one look at the shiny,brand new Mac and says in a broken German accent " We will not be fucking needing that fucking thing!"..throws his overcoat over the Mac's screen,then picks up Marrs Gibson J-2000 acoustic and proceeds to bash out a perfect rendition of a Crosby,Stills & Nash song,singing at the top of his voice!

Hahaha..what an absolute champ!

• Like 4

Ah, that's excellent! You don't need to explain the appeal - I'm with you 100%. I know I could do most of what I do inside the box, but I don't have any inclination to do that. Part of it is the tactile element and not having to look at a screen, and part of it is that extra 5-10% that software can't replicate. After I played an ARP 2600 I spent weeks sourcing a spring reverb unit and building an enclosure for it. I knew I couldn't afford a 2600 any time soon, but I also knew that a lot of what I loved about that sound was the reverb. I never even bothered trying out effects plugins - I wanted the real deal so that, as well as the beautiful reverb, I could slap it and hear it rumble back at me. I'm not claiming that outboard is always better; it's just often better for me.

Nice! I've never been able to find a reverb I really like. I never even thought about building one. That's sick! But yeah, why not? It's amazing what some of these guys are doing with computers but I think I lack the discipline. I just want to play with stuff and see what happens and that almost never seems to work for me on the computer.

• Like 1

Ah, that's excellent! You don't need to explain the appeal - I'm with you 100%. I know I could do most of what I do inside the box, but I don't have any inclination to do that. Part of it is the tactile element and not having to look at a screen

I honestly don't know if I'll ever be able to make music using computers..every time I've tried it feels so unnatural and in certain cases completely unnecessary too.

The main reason is because I want to be able to execute what I do with samples- and a sampler live...I want to have that same interaction with the instrument like I would playing a guitar or a keyboard.

Whatever you're doing works, that's for sure! I never in a million years would have thought you were playing your stuff live.

• Like 1

JB - reverbs a funny one.

It seems that most software ones just dont cut it to my ears - I have Altiverb and Waves plugins, both convolution and vintage classic emulations and theyre all bit meh. Like theyre useable tools when buried in the mix, but never sounds youd want to celebrate or make a feature of.

Ive found hardware reverbs to be much more agreeable. But as ever you get what you pay for. Strymon and similar level companies definitely do some reverbs very well, to the point where at least some of the emulations they include are very nice indeed. And although they arent cheap, they arent like vintage Lexicon unit prices either. Actually as Ive mention the L-word, I must reiterate how much I enjoy my Digitech Polara - for a bit over £100, its Lexicon algorithms are surely the best value on the market. Not quite Strymon et al, but 80-90% of the way there for less than half the price of even a Blue Sky.

What I will say for all reverb pedals though, even really expensive ones, is that the one reverb they never quite nail is spring. As such, Ive recently joined Pete and Paul in the cheap real spring club - Ive got an old Soundcraft notepad mixer I bought on eBay for £30 and an Accutronics short spring reverb tank that was £20 new and sounds great and blows all spring emulations away. With just one spring tank Im in mono of course, but another £20 and I can add another tank for the other channel. You can of course get longer spring tanks too for bigger reverb sounds, but actually the short spring it great for drums and synths and what was used on many a classic dub record, etc. The only negative thats not really negative at all, is the spring reverb is just one type of reverb - last week I had my synth running through both the Polara and spring and having it all connected together highlighted that theres many other great reverb sounds that arent spring and they certainly have their own merit too. All in though, my double reverb solution cost me £150 and apart from going to stereo in the spring, I really couldnt wish for more.

So going forward, I wholeheartedly recommend the next addition to your drum machine Voltron is a cheap secondhand mini mixer (unless your Rane rack mixer has the send and spare channels with enough gain to do it without?) and a couple of spring reverb tanks.

Then, once thats done, we can all discuss your options for tube preamps ;)

• Like 3

I've got a Boss reverb pedal. RV-5 I think. It's stereo, but exactly matches what you're talking about. It's okay if buried in the mix AND with 90% dry signal but sounds very meh by itself, ESPECIALLY on drums. (... and you pretty much need reverb on any scratched drums unless you're specifically going for that raw sound.) I know you can spend tons on a rack reverb.

What I want that I don't even think exists is some type of super-de-duper effects loop router where you can hook up your gear and all your effects and then independently select which effects you want on a specific channel.

I think the closest youll find is 19 inch patch bays for racks. Thats how studios tend to do it, big complicated arse patch bays :(

Youll definitely find better reverb pedals that the RV-5 but wether theyll be what you want, I couldnt say. Maybe if you have a local music shop that would let you try out a Strymon Blue Sky or similar? At least youd know if it was something youd aspire to one day or not.

I still say get a spring tank or two. Its definitely the reverb for people who dont like reverb. For scratch drums, have you ever messed with short delays? I know you have a BBD rack unit and were interest in an El Capistan - both can make a mean slapback on scratch drums.

I think the closest youll find is 19 inch patch bays for racks. Thats how studios tend to do it, big complicated arse patch bays :(

Youll definitely find better reverb pedals that the RV-5 but wether theyll be what you want, I couldnt say. Maybe if you have a local music shop that would let you try out a Strymon Blue Sky or similar? At least youd know if it was something youd aspire to one day or not.

I still say get a spring tank or two. Its definitely the reverb for people who dont like reverb. For scratch drums, have you ever messed with short delays? I know you have a BBD rack unit and were interest in an El Capistan - both can make a mean slapback on scratch drums.

The spring reverb thing just seems cool as hell so of course! They sound pretty doodoo on the RV-5. I tend to use "small room" and lots of dry signal for drums to take a little bit of the edge off of the tails. I'm pretty sure I've messed with some short delays on drums but I should revisit that. Sometimes even longer delays on scratch drums are sick. It's a great way to keep time too by using the delay as a weird sort of metronome.

Guest petesasqwax

The beauty of the spring reverb is that it's pretty cheap to try out. You just need a tank (about £20) and phono to TSR leads (I just use a phono to phono cable with phono to TSR adaptor plugs which cost me a couple of quid total & already had lying around from my MPC days). You need to amplify the signals on the way in and out but can do that with an old mixer (the likes of which we all tend to have lying around because we're obsessive scratch need hoarders). Once you've tried and decided that it's for you, more permanent solutions are relatively plentiful and affordable (or DIY options are there too).

I played with an ARP 2600 and decided that I needed a spring reverb so went all out with a bespoke dual tank option which allows me to blend between short and long sounds etc. It's a huge solution to a small problem... but it literally cost me under £100 for the lot including power supply!

• Like 3