So: Rob Swift, then, eh?

Guest petesasqwax

Eclipse became better technically - but he built on the foundations laid by the others.

Rob & Raida were on a par I think - certainly back in 92. Rob was more musical & cleaner but Raida had more body tricks & as a consequence was less clean. Don't forget too the Chief Rock juggle from 95 was Sinista's routine. That juggle & the 'Eric B for president' juggle were the best bits too - he wouldn't of been within an inch of Noize without them in my opinion.

• Like 2

Well sure but everybody builds off of someone. We aren't in a vacuum. That's why the old man argument is so whack--they were standing on shoulders just like kids are today. It's just THEIR shoulders now so they peeved. LAME>

Good call on Sin giving some of the most iconic sets to Raida. Forgot about that.

• Like 1

He's been on a "back to basics" campaign for a while now. Hes been posting challenges for people to do on Facebook.. not using flares, using both tables etc.. I think he is right to an extent that the majority of videos are a lot of 2 click combo videos(not all), but a fair amount and the perception seems to be that something like a slow funky transform scratch is easy and only for beginners. It's like some DJs are only making videos to impress and top other DJs instead of doing things for a general audience. I can't say I agree with the way he is going about it and there is probably a better way to voice his opinion. I think it's funny that he's acting like Kanye because I've talked to him in person and through email and he seemed like a real approachable nice guy.

I chatted to someone from Big Daddy Magazine , probably somewhere back between 98-00, and they had just published an issue where Craze was talking about how Rob Swift had been recycling the same routines for 10 years. They were dishing out the magazines at some turntablist event and Rob ended up reading the magazine while Craze was in the room - awkward!

In retrospective, I guess Craze might have been a little naive about interviews back then and was just giving an honest opinion.

• Like 1

That dickhead is way worse that Ruckzoid, at least Rucker was once No1 in the scratch game. This fucktard was just once an Eastcoast champ and that's all.

Wellll to be fair Rob was once the No1 beat juggler and arguably solo battle DJ on the planet (he lost to Q, MMM and Apollo as a team at the time)

With all due respect Vek, I think it was always Raida the No1 beat juggler. RS was always somewhere in the back within the X-Men and behind Butcher, Raida, Eclipse, Precision and Boogie Blind. He might had the most musicality out of all, but that was still 20 years ago.

Obviously Rob didn't maintain being number 1, but I think in 92/93 it's hard to argue he was one of the best. Raida had tons of skill but I don't think he (or anyone) had a better juggle than Rob's Biz routine for a few more years.

Of course this doesn't excuse some of the stuff he's said this week, or that sloppy Queen juggle he just posted. I'm just keeping the record straight since there are a lot of people who get mad at his comments and say "ROB SWIFT HAS ALWAYS BEEN WACK" when he's still a legend and pioneer, despite any perceived douchiness.

• Like 4

I chatted to someone from Big Daddy Magazine , probably somewhere back between 98-00, and they had just published an issue where Craze was talking about how Rob Swift had been recycling the same routines for 10 years. They were dishing out the magazines at some turntablist event and Rob ended up reading the magazine while Craze was in the room - awkward!

In retrospective, I guess Craze might have been a little naive about interviews back then and was just giving an honest opinion.

Haha jeez that's harsh... But it's kinda true. Rob never really followed up his early routines with more classic routines like all of the other X-ecutioners. I can't really think of a really good juggle of his past the early 90s...

I've talked to him in person and through email and he seemed like a real approachable nice guy.

I've heard the same thing about the Ruck

I've heard about Ruck being similar to online in real life haha

I've made an interview with the Gunkhole crew. He was all nice and mellow that day (all of them btw).

That dickhead is way worse that Ruckzoid, at least Rucker was once No1 in the scratch game. This fucktard was just once an Eastcoast champ and that's all.

Wellll to be fair Rob was once the No1 beat juggler and arguably solo battle DJ on the planet (he lost to Q, MMM and Apollo as a team at the time)

With all due respect Vek, I think it was always Raida the No1 beat juggler. RS was always somewhere in the back within the X-Men and behind Butcher, Raida, Eclipse, Precision and Boogie Blind. He might had the most musicality out of all, but that was still 20 years ago.

Obviously Rob didn't maintain being number 1, but I think in 92/93 it's hard to argue he was one of the best. Raida had tons of skill but I don't think he (or anyone) had a better juggle than Rob's Biz routine for a few more years.

Of course this doesn't excuse some of the stuff he's said this week, or that sloppy Queen juggle he just posted. I'm just keeping the record straight since there are a lot of people who get mad at his comments and say "ROB SWIFT HAS ALWAYS BEEN WACK" when he's still a legend and pioneer, despite any perceived douchiness.

If RS was not responsible for something good in turntablism, at least at some point in time, we wouldn't be talking about him right. Obviously, we shouldn't disregard some person's contributions, unless he does it himself. And by claiming things to have happened, that obviously never did (like being hiphop royalty - wtf), RS is completely disregarding himself in public. Add to that this his almighty sloppiness on that Queen video, and you're left with nothing but a douche. :-)

The pupil inevitably always surpasses the master ...but to me that Fly and Netik routine just seems more about posing and smug self aggrandizement,but then thats kinda always been the case with so many battle/scratch dj"s in my opinion, dont get me wrong I can appreciate that they have mad skills on the tables but it is way too reliant on pre production, I can understand Rob Swift"s opinions even though I think he's completely way off point and completely delusional with regards to calling himself being hip-hop royalty and all the other guff he's been spewing out,I think Dj Nocturne sums it up perfectly when they asked for his opinion in the youtube video I watched a couple of days ago when he said creativity and encouragement is the only positive thing for the scene and beef isn't good for anyone and will get you nowhere and probably just end in you getting a fucking hard smack in the mouth from somebody....wise words indeed

Presumably this whole Rob Swift thing is what prompted someone to create this?.....

Craze is down with the Ruck though. I can feel your heads exploding from accrost the pond.

All human beings are born with flaws. It's in our nature, lol!

I guess this one a matter of musical taste. Craze seems to dig the rucks productions. I digged them too...until he went the Bontempi-Route