Numark PT-01 modding thread

Guest rasteri

Guest rasteri

ive seen that rasteri, and its $90 for me plus I have to buy a fader for $?? And then assemble and install...and to me, I would rather buy an 01 scratch.. but, however if numark can throw a switch and wires in the box without a nanoanything then I'm gonna try to find out how;p

Check the eq/volume/pitch board. If there are two unused connectors on it (one for AUX IN, one for the fader) then you can do that. Otherwise you're up shit creek, unless you wanna build your own VCA circuit.

• Like 2

Has anyone done a rechargeable battery mod to theirs yet? what mAh did you go for?

And what kinda life are you getting out of it?

How many hours for example?

also was this with or with out the extra preamp for the tonearm mod?

that enough questions?

how about now?

I think I'm just going to wait, save a few £££ and see what comes out over the next year, if unmarked have done the pt01 and itssellsyou know they will probably bring out an upgraded version with all of the mods in, DJ tech will come with something also I bet money on it.

The belt drive platter really bums me out too, surely there is a direct driven mini tt in the works somewhere ?

I just think it's mad everyone is modding shit and spending so much money on this, you see ready modded versions for $799 lol thats crazy money for a pt01. That's the price of a decent 12" turntable.

I love the mods but I'm scared I'll spend a lot of time, money and effort putting them in and then some all in one deck will come out a month later.

• Like 1

Has anyone done a rechargeable battery mod to theirs yet? what mAh did you go for?

that enough questions?

how about now?

I'm surprised how long cheap d-cells last.. my battery mod(when I get to it) will most definitely have the charging port fixed on the case of the 01..wheather it be mini USB or like the wall adapter plug. Sorry, I don't think I answered any of your questions but I think the going mah used is between 6800-10000..but don't quote me on that;p Edited by Obi1jacobi

that enough questions?

how about now?

I have a 6000 mah lithium with flesh one's preamp, tonearm with M44-7 and to be honest I'm not 100% sure how long it lasts but I've gone a few weeks without charging it while playing with it at least a hour a day loud with the internal speaker.

Edited by evil98
  • Like 2

I'm surprised how long cheap d-cells last.. my battery mod(when I get to it) will most definitely have the charging port fixed on the case of the 01..wheather it be mini USB or like the wall adapter plug. Sorry, I don't think I answered any of your questions but I think the going mah used is between 6800-10000..but don't quote me on that;p

I reused the original power connector so that I could recharge the battery internally.

• Like 2

Guest rasteri

I'm surprised how long cheap d-cells last.. my battery mod(when I get to it) will most definitely have the charging port fixed on the case of the 01..wheather it be mini USB or like the wall adapter plug. Sorry, I don't think I answered any of your questions but I think the going mah used is between 6800-10000..but don't quote me on that;p

Weirdly, micro USB is more robust than mini USB.

You can make a rechargable battery mod with a standard USB power bank and a boost converter to boost the 5v up to 9v, ebay search for "XL6009"

• Like 2

Weirdly, micro USB is more robust than mini USB.You can make a rechargable battery mod with a standard USB power bank and a boost converter to boost the 5v up to 9v, ebay search for "XL6009"

I think I meant micro;) I knew one was better than the other...I used to build vape mods for friends and personal use so I have many 18650 batteries at the homestead.. also played a lot of airsoft as a teen/young adult so I have a bunch of rc battery packs as well...but I think it'd be less work to buy a 12v lipo pack with the charging in/out pigtail..but first I would like to install my fader.. last night I put a little credit card shim in my raiden vvt-mk1...now it's cut is razor sharp! I was going to mount it where the scratch switch is but once I found the case had the scratch switch hole, I'm going to leave that undisturbed until I find out more..

Speaking of mini Innofaders. I've been working on a fader housing for the PT01 scratch. This is a test print using the mini Innofader. Need to make some adjustments to the design but its close.

Also did a selectable ultra pitch, toggling between the original trimmer pot for 33.3 and a 1k trimmer pot.

• Like 4

Nice! When your ultrapitch is in effect does the platter speed fluctuate at all when cutting? I noticed that the ultra pitch kit from open-format does that a lot and the workaround they have suggested was sanding the edges of the platter Rim down so it is flat and smooth and that little Ridge won't provide friction. Even doing this it's still fluctuates a little bit when the pressure is applied and it is very annoying. I was wondering if your version those the same?

Nice! When your ultrapitch is in effect does the platter speed fluctuate at all when cutting? I noticed that the ultra pitch kit from open-format does that a lot and the workaround they have suggested was sanding the edges of the platter Rim down so it is flat and smooth and that little Ridge won't provide friction. Even doing this it's still fluctuates a little bit when the pressure is applied and it is very annoying. I was wondering if your version those the same?

I tested a similar generic PWM speed controller and I had inconsistency at low speeds as well. I'm thinking that the frequency is just unstable. I didn't do extensive testing but I'm thinking there is a combination of voltage to "speed setting" that could yield better results then just dumping the pitch to its lowest speed (lowest voltage). With my mod there isn't any fluttering since its just reducing its voltage. Its very smooth at 1k ohm. I don't know exactly what RPM its running at but it is noticeably slower.

Holy shit dude that's awesome! If you can get those finalised by the time the mini inno plus comes out you'll make a fucking killing

Thanks, I'm taking precautions in the design to try and accommodate for any big changes to the mini innofader plus since I only have the mini to reference. My only concern is the additional connector on the left. Hopefully its actually a 5pin jst xh connector and not a surprise on release.

Nice work!

Thanks

It could be possible to feed the motor voltage with more than one PWM phase shifted? Maybe this make the gaps in the duty cicle more efficient = less fluctuation... the direct drive turntables use this approach but for each pair of coils making an ultrasmooth step since the voltages in each pair of coils changes in the same amount like a electric wave carrying the magnet under the plate. Maybe I'm totally wrong but this is how I understood the work looking at cdx motor diagrams and schematics.

Also quartz lock in technics (and digital encoder attached to vestax/numark motors) seem be a "error tracking"...

Guest rasteri

It's not the gaps in the duty cycle, the frequency of those PWM controllers is far too high for that to matter.

The standard PT-01 motor controller has closed-loop feedback, i.e. it measures the back-EMF from the motor to determine it's speed and adjusts the voltage accordingly.

The open-loop PWM controllers don't do any of that. They just output a variable-duty-cycle pulse wave and hope for the best, so they can't respond to speed changes caused by scratching.

To fix this you would need to implement some kind of closed-loop feedback and a PID loop into the PWM controller. The easiest way to do that would be to measure the back-EMF from the motor during the gaps in the PWM duty cycle, but the "best" way to do it would be to add a rotary encoder to the platter, as this would compensate for belt slip too.

I'm actually working on a PWM controller that does the back-emf detection, but it's more of a side project than something I actually want to sell. I'll let you know how it goes though.

EDIT : (although I think a rotary encoder may be necessary for ultrapitch as the motor might not generate enough back-emf to be detectable at low speeds)

• Like 3

Thanks once again to share your knowledge, as you see mine is more an intuition over soso comprehension xD

The rotary encoder is what I was referring in my last sentence which also maybe haven't nothing related to quartz in techs xD

These are in vestax and cdx as far as I know. Your solution seems clever, congrats once again Andy!

Anyways IMO we should go further and avoid those systems (edit: talking about motors themselves) to implement something in between better suited for small or "builded from ground" devices... Something like the focus fader related to faders applied to platters. Building something with better materials amd zero compromises with scratching in mind from is conception.

Ok, I stop dreaming. X/