Thud Rumble TRX DJ mixer

I have the DIF-1s and i like the crossfader, havent used the upfader much and after one month one upfader is bleeding/crackling etc (will replace the upfaders with innofaders)

The crossfader is nice but dont expect to much from the rest of the build quality

very happy with my Z2 now

Guest Symatic

Check this vid the texas scratch league guys have done, featuring some shitty "skipless" record from england or canada or one of those little countries :)

• Like 2

Guest petesasqwax

The Ruck broke my heart when he stopped running Asisphonics.net and when he decided to give me a 1-month pass on Listencomputerock.com (to download all of his Bontempi-Synth-Music, that I don't dig too much), instead of my 4 UPR3 records I bought/payed.

He seriously did that? That's fucked up! I'm with you, though. I rated (and still rate) stuff like the Dirty Soap record and the Like A Box Of Chocolates record. He did some dope, dope stuff. His cutting ability has never been in question. If - and it's a monumental "if" - he ever started making music which was devoid of all the shiny suit Bontempi bullshit again, I would happily purchase it.

Soooo i was at thud rumble the day the Ltd TRX for the kickstarter backers came in. Q turned up with a hot chick dressed as Chun Li and shot a breif promo and cut up some CFTM (im waiting on footage that a friend took).

The mixer for the kickstarter backers is essentially the same as the one that will be available for sale, except it has a mirror finish face and what looks like alien writing where the normal writing is. I reckon they are bound to become collectors items, so if you did back you did well IMO.

It's worth noting that this is not made by DJ Tech, but made 100% by Thud Rumble i saw the 8-10 different prototypes they went through to get to the final design.

I did get a chance to have a good play with it. Some things have been done for pure aesthetics to keep symmetry in the mixer but maybe not that useful (master fader / Aux on vertical faders ?!?! ) . Also i really don't like cutting mini inofaders but u can put a pro in it, ive been told. On the plus side, i like the filters and they have made the only mixer since Focus's SA8 that has separate left/right post fader outputs - pretty cool for two channel recording mixes into your DAW which you cud clean up /enhance later...

Guest rasteri

It's worth noting that this is not made by DJ Tech, but made 100% by Thud Rumble i saw the 8-10 different prototypes they went through to get to the final design.

I don't think that's true man - all the photos I've seen say "powered by dj-tech" on the back panel

I don't think that's true man - all the photos I've seen say "powered by dj-tech" on the back panel

I saw the prototypes and got told that this was Thud Rumble only, but i've seen a few places saying this is a DJ-Tech mixer, but i really don't think that's the case - cause of licencing stuff Thud did this themselves..

http://i.imgur.com/NBSCkVK.jpg

interesting ... Thud's own site does not mention DJ-Tech at all ! While DJ-Tech have it listed as a product ...... i got told the licencing didnt work any more (for DJ-Tech) and thats why it was 100% Thud and not DJ-Tech , and that the design was 100% Thud - the similarities were that they used the same manufacturer ... hmmmm the plot thickens ..

I'm sure the design was Thud, but the components and manufacturing process will have been handled by DJ-Tech and their existing contacts.

Making a mixer from scratch would take more than just the few Thud workers. There's no way they trawled electronics component factory's in China, designed their own circuit boards completely unassisted, etc.

I'm sure the design was Thud, but the components and manufacturing process will have been handled by DJ-Tech and their existing contacts.

Making a mixer from scratch would take more than just the few Thud workers. There's no way they trawled electronics component factory's in China, designed their own circuit boards completely unassisted, etc.

I feel a lawsuit coming...

Yeah I honestly can't see how thudrumble, a relatively small boutique company could possibly become a hardware manufacturer just like that, unless I'm missing something it jus doesn't stack up. However I can certainly see why they would wanna distance a thudrumble branded scratch mixer from a manufacturer that's not famous for hi quality products

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

They actually hired me to produce the entire line of these purely by myself. They've got quite a lot of gaffer tape on them.

yo, this thread was confusing the fuck out of me so I checked with Thud ... It is 100% Thud, its not DJ-Tech Tools at all (apparently Thuds US distributor has made a big gaff mentioning DJ-Tech in their promo) ... in terms of hardware manufacture i was told they worked with a factory that already made mixers, i guess like Hanpin does for turntables...

Guest rasteri

Just to throw more fuel to the debate fire :

I'm willing to bet that the "factory that already made mixers" Thud are speaking of is DJ-Tech's parent company, or a subsidiary of them, or something. There's just too many similarities in the design for them to be completely unrelated.

Tbh Andy I was thinking that could be the case but unlike your self I don't have a tech industry insight/background so didn't wanna (continue) to make vaguely educated guess's in the face of what thudrumble are saying. With thuds existing relationship with dj tech it seems a stretch to think the factory they used for the thud mixer doesn't have some dj tech connection, fuck knows.

Guest rasteri

Why don't we all chip in and get one of these random factories to build us a DV scratch mixer.

Haha I was actually thinking something like this the other day. I sent an email to Hanpin asking what the minimum order quantity for their turntables is.

If I get a reasonable reply I might start a kickstarter to sell My Little Pony branded superoems.

• Like 2

Taking this thread over, my apologies...:-)

If Thud did a switcheroo on Dj Tech, that would be rawwww :-)...Woo. That would mean they used Dj Tech as a stepping stone and learning curve, used their resources for R & D and Distribution Channels. Took their design and changed it a bit, added my Post Fader Outputs for pizzaz and if they went their separate ways... There was an agreement with Dj-Tech and Thud on the design or Thud just asked the manufacturer to manufacture some for them...

For the most part manufactures have no loyalty, that's why you see similar designs from different companies, even at the component level... Thud has been walking a thin line and doing a nice job of leveraging Q's popularity to be able to work with the different Brands/Manufacturers. Stanton is still untouched cause they are being hardasses but notice Q always mentioning that he uses Stanton Turntables in his studio, slowly wiggling his way in...

Notice they are calling themselves a design company or something or other now, not Hip Hop,Scratch,Turntablist etc...If they become a manufacturing company that's probably when other Brands will shy away a bit, then it becomes a real conflict of interest...

Manufacturing...

There a lot of small manufacturers that will produce your mixer Hanpin is the go to for Turntables since there is not a bunch of companies making those oems...The name Hanpin is so out there now that they should make their Hanpin products haha...

For example Stanton used Hanpin for the Craze Mixer SA-12 and a smaller company for the Focus SA-8 and SK Mixers... The smaller manufacturer was getting so much work from Stanton that they ended up being exclusive...

If you go on Alibaba and search dj mixer for example...any of those manufacturers will make you a mixer...Check this one out, http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Professional-2-Channel-DJ-Mixer-DJM_1986502205/showimage.htmlMinimum 30 pieces at about $55 dollars...That's the start then you ask for colors and add or take away features... This is the easy part...

That was just a quick search too...

The Hard Part is, Tech Support and Shipping to Different Countries and all the other things that come with being a Mixer Company...and that's what it becomes...Do you want to drop everything and start a new mixer company? :-)...

With all that said...Funk yeah, there are bunch of scenarios that can play out.....Have a Manufacture do all the Chassis/Metal Works and Circuit Boards get done locally for quality control, or the other way around.

The fader is probably the most expensive part but with a grassroots design, it can be done where you install your own fader...Inno or whichever... If it shows up with the low 2 Dollar Alpha Faders, people will be upset...

Probably be best to show up with a fader plate and a connector so you can plug whatever fader you want... Get a design going, get a quote and then the old kick starter thing...

Any of you scratch homies want to set it off I'm an open book...:-) Who's going to be the CEO of this company we just started? Only credentials needed is that you cut like a Guillotine and have a dope dj name...

Start Slow.. Midi Face Plate? Adjustable Fader Plate...

Go big or go home? Cover that Slips over Turntable Platter and adds Midi Buttons and Fresh Sauce Controls around the edge of the platter...This was going to be my weekend Make a big ass Vacuum Forming Table and use Oven Project Someday...:-)

Right now is prime time for the Scratch Arts and for someone from the Scratch/Dj Culture to create a real Accessories and products company...

Siya at ProxFade would be fitting...

On personal note:

Thanks for crediting me on the Post Fader Outputs, a lot of blood sweat and tears went into the SA-8...Many Years worth of ideas all the way back from when I started in 1986 ( Auto Headphone Cue).

The SA stood for Scratch Artist...You guys don't know how much work went behind the scenes. I actually had to go to NAMM One year and have a meeting with Stanton so they could credit me in print on the Catalogs, they did, the catalogs were re-printed with credit.

The point of getting credit is to establish yourself and build a body of work that is respected by your peers and as a resume for other companies if needed...If it wasn't fresh, why would someone else want to take it and get credit for it :-)...

The Individual Post Faders on the SA-8 also send a Mono signal if you plug into the left Channel only.

That was so you could use a Stereo Cassette Player or Any Device that only had Left and Right for recording...

This was so you could record you scratches on one side and beats on the other...

When you played back the separated recording through the mixer...

Each channel had individual Mono/Stereo Switch.

Hit the Mono Switch on the mixer...

Now you have the beat and Scratch Combined when playing back...

Want to hear just the Scratch? use the pan button...

Now you can hear your cuts all by themselves and check your progress...

You could also share with the Scratch Ninjas... Upload to the net and add the extension .scr to make it easier to search...etc.etc..

The individual Stereo Mono Switch also worked with my Scratch Records...from my first release I layered and panned Hard Right and Hard Left the Ahhh and Fresh and other sounds...

In Mono Mode you could switch between the two with the Pan button...

On the Tabletools "Formula Scratch Record" I separated the Beat, with the pan you could break it down like whatever you want...

I also did sounds that went from Center, to left and then to Right Scratch Sounds...On and On homies...:-)

Everything I've ever done has a connecting thread and it all connected with the Sa-8 mixer...

With the Axillary all you needed was the SA-8 for Recording and Playback and you would not get feedback...

Lots of Easter eggs on the SA-8...If Stanton fixes the bugs and adds Midi to that design it would be a winner right now...

I've always had the intent to make Kits to add Individual Outputs to existing Mixers, plus other features...

This is still the plan and it's why I keep it alive, plus a good starting conversation if approach a company...

Eventually I'll do a website devoted to the Focus SA-8 Mixer...The Greatest Story, Never Told...

Anywho, much respect if you can keep the message alive, I still have to put a bigger dent on this mutha****n scratch scene...

• Like 1

Lots of Easter eggs on the SA-8...If Stanton fixes the bugs and adds Midi to that design it would be a winner right now...

Co-sign. I would certainly buy that mixer. I still look for a OG-SA-8 for my collection.

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

FYI, Being as i work in Bus. support at a Chamber of Commerce I know there is a grant for companies that do R and D work of up to £5000 that's available UK wide, i believe. I might be able to help access it, too. Ooooooooh.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

Damn, Focus - that's unreal! I knew the SA-8s were sick, but I had no idea how much you'd actually put in there. The split channel for record cuts to one side and beats to the other is INCREDIBLE. That's still how I work when collaborating with other DJs i.e. get them to record their cuts in whatever software they use and then send me back a hard panned master so I can line the cuts up accurately with the original beats