which hand is best for the fader hand?

Pich

I was talking to ericuk on youtube lastnight and me mentioned about he uses his strong hand as his record hand, I know this has probley been discussed but I wanted peoples opinions on what they think is best and what hand they use?

I'm right handed and for some reason I found having my right hand on the fader more natural but since I've been trying tears I've been struggling with them a lot and I know I'd probley find it a lot easyer doing them if my right hand was on the record so I keep thinking shall I swap over? lol I'm not too keen on the idea really coz I feel I've been making decent progress with my fader movements and getting the speed up which I know I'd struggle with using my left hand.

I've only really got into scratchin seriously since june but have been mixing for years having been into my acid techno from a young age lol and have got far too comfortable scratchin the way I do now.

also the big question... hamster or regular? should one change if they've been regular for so long?

sorry if this is old news but I keep wondering about it

I think it's best to go with whatever feels most natural.

I started scratching back in the 80s before terms like "hamster" existed, but I scratched hamster then, just because that's the way I felt the fader should work. It didn't feel right with the fader regular. Likewise, I used my strong hand on the record cos it just felt right.

Whichever way you go, your weaker hand will have some catching up to do, but I figure that the fader is basically just an on/off switch, while record movements can be more complex, so I think using your strong hand on the record is better in that respect.

I don't know what's best but I'm left handed and that goes on the record, better for pitch and control for me. Right hand on the fader, I haven't got a lot of speed in that hand however.

Hamster seems a bit too much for me, guess I'm not that hardcore.

Guest Symatic

whatever you prefer. I'm shit hamster style, and im shit on the other deck. some people are more ambidextrous. I started the other way round but switched cos my right hand was faster for transforms.

I don't like to repeat myself, but yeah what steve said. The fader is only an on/off movement, where as the rekkid is a whole different ball game.

as for fader regs or reverse, try the basic cuts like forwards and chirps and see which feels more suited to you.

Prepare yourself for my boring life story: started right deck hamster. Switched to left deck regs. switched to right deck regs. Now right deck hamster again. FULL CIRCLE!

Whats weird is you never really forget, so now I can do the same techniques regular and hamster. Yoshi was my inspiration for that shizzle as he's been able to do it for ages.

IMO it just comes down to practice. Your weak hand will always hold you back at the beginning but I think you overcome it after a certain amount of practice. I'd say around it took me around 4-5 years until my record hand felt legitimately strong and like it wasn't holding me back much more than my fader in some cases (I'm weak hand on record, strong on fader).

• Like 1

Thanks for the advise everyone, after some practicing lastnight I decided im sticking with the way I cut now, I thought that I can build my left hand up over time I'm too happy with my fader movements to ditch then now, I'm trying something over the next month to see if it'll help my weak hand out.. I'm going to try and do as best I can to make me dominant hand my left hand lol not sure how easy it'll be as I'm already finding it hard, think I should just tie up my right arm behind my back or something.

There is a method to work out which hand will work best on the fader. Insert both of your index fingers in your asshole then wiggle your thumbs. Whichever thumb is able to get a greater range of motion while the adjoining index finger is in the asshole, that is the hand you should use on the fader. Thank me later bro.

• Like 1

I don't think I'm in it hardcore enough yet to try these techniques, thanks tho it's always good to hear other peoples methods :-)

There is a method to work out which hand will work best on the fader. Insert both of your index fingers in your asshole then wiggle your thumbs. Whichever thumb is able to get a greater range of motion while the adjoining index finger is in the asshole, that is the hand you should use on the fader. Thank me later bro.

Funniest post I've read in a while!

I was talking to ericuk on youtube lastnight and me mentioned about he uses his strong hand as his record hand, I know this has probley been discussed but I wanted peoples opinions on what they think is best and what hand they use?

I'm right handed and for some reason I found having my right hand on the fader more natural but since I've been trying tears I've been struggling with them a lot and I know I'd probley find it a lot easyer doing them if my right hand was on the record so I keep thinking shall I swap over? lol I'm not too keen on the idea really coz I feel I've been making decent progress with my fader movements and getting the speed up which I know I'd struggle with using my left hand.

I've only really got into scratchin seriously since june but have been mixing for years having been into my acid techno from a young age lol and have got far too comfortable scratchin the way I do now.

also the big question... hamster or regular? should one change if they've been regular for so long?

sorry if this is old news but I keep wondering about it

I'm the same as you, dominant right on fader. I think it's a disadvantage in a lot of ways but feels natural to me. I've learned to do tears left. Just keep practicing them. I like to do tears and switch hands... L, R, L... Since like you said R tears are easier.

I tried hamster but didn't feel right... Again, probably a disadvantage not scratching hamster since it is a more natural movement but I was already had gone reg so long that it felt funky.