Mixing on monitors

d00ban

I got some KRK Rockit 5s to mix on and I'm pretty sure they're not great for mixing on.

I always do mixes and think they're proper shit, but if I listen back to the recording on different speakers they sounds spot on - any one else experienced this??

I think that's the whole point of monitors, man. They're not supposed to sound good, they're just there to reproduce what your music really sounds like. Basically, if you can make it sound good in your monitors, it will sound good anywhere else.

I think that's the whole point of monitors, man. They're not supposed to sound good, they're just there to reproduce what your music really sounds like. Basically, if you can make it sound good in your monitors, it will sound good anywhere else.

true , if it sounds shit then its your eqing or tunes that sound shit not the rockits.

or tho the rockit 5's dont have an amazing low end and can sound really toppy when mixing,

i have the same problemwith my hs50's when i use them for mix's.

GET A SUB !!!!!!!

just another excuse for not recording something to hand out to get gigs imo.

shut up and just get it done!

and if you know it sounds better on other speakers then surely you dont need to worry unless it'll be heard on another set of rockit 5's

alternatively, for reference, just give the mix a listen in your headphones after its recorded as a check.

Well this is all true... Basically now I know it's not really a problem I've been soldiering on.

I had friday off so I spent the weekend preparing mixes!

The first one was a bit shit so I've put that on the back burned but I'm actually fairly happy with the second one so far, I get bored of my own mixes normally as they're too linear. I've tried to make a few more interesting transitions in this. Will record it this week some time :d

I tried the whole mulittracking route but it's waaay too tedious :z

your mixing environment is as important as your monitors and things like speaker placement, acoustic treatment and sound deflection/absorption all effect how you hear things. You don't want things to automatically sound amazing, but you want a TRUE reference of everything that's happening.

I can't knock Rokits as many big mans use them and get good mixes, although I found them to be very inaccurate compared to my mackies. The krk5's will need a sub if you want to hear the bottom end but you certainly should get a good sound from them.

A good mix should sound good in your studio environment and then translate well on other speakers, clubs etc. If Knife Party sound shit on your speakers (apart from lacking low end) then something is wrong in your studio.

#IMO

• 2 weeks later...

i have a bit of music that i used for a the last 7 years for a circus number i do, i know that music so well that whenever i check a soundsystem, a new pair of speakers, headphones, whatever i just put it on and i instantly know EXACTLY what the piece of equipment is doing to my sound.

i heard that tune probably more than a thousand times, on all sorts of systems from big stadium pa systems to opera theaters to shitty battery powered busker amps. i know that tune inside out.

sure beats listening to a 440hz sine wave.