drum scratching tutorials

MajDuckworth

does dj unkut have any up?

no, but all he does is 2 click over the drums. he gets a lotta help from how the drums are arranged on his custom records tho.

timing and precision is obviously key for drumming, but you need to get your 2 clicks and 3 clicks fast and clean.

but at the end of the day, it's all down to hand control.

anyway, these euro cats don't even come close to Ken One. He's the best skratch drummer IMO. Him, Tayone, and the Ruck are my top 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3dXMEgb92U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsRpxOuUAqs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfuYX6scVyo

and some self-promotion:

I think that just like a real drummer playing a kit, there's always balance to be struck between technique/complexity and timing/groove... Even the simplist pattern can be sick if the groove is tight. For that reason alone, Rucker's drumming on the Bastard Language Tour is still probably my all time favourite... his microscopic shifts in timing accent different sections of each track perfectly. In another world he could have been great on a drum kit... then again, by that measure he could have stayed in this world, not been a dick and stuck to what he was actually good at.

Of all the European 2-click DJs, I reckon Netik is the best drummer, again for style and timing... I find Unkut a bit mechanical by comparison

I'm risking looking like a fool contradicting Yoshi here but Q always says that it's mostly walking boomerangs, with some transformers and stabs thrown in there.on QSU.

no contradiction.

you can't really drum without transformers and stabs, so I've assumed that.

besides, remember I said at the BBQ that all fader skratching is either transforming and crabbing.

I meant what differentiates Unkut from others is that he uses a lot of 2 click combos. "Walking" boomerangs is what he does most.

I said he's all 2 clicks to emphasise how sick and tired I am of all these boring euro style stuff.

I don't like the term EURO style as its too wide...there is some amazing djs in europe. All the Community Skratch players plus many more. There is a kind of boring french/german 2 click style but I think that is just more battle cutting than what I would say was 'Real' scratching andI'm sure those djs can do much more on the cut than maybe what we hear. Ken One is so sick on drums though....nasty!

• 1 month later...